The Whitecaps and MLS thread

On 4/20/2024 at 9:56 PM, UnkNuk said:

Whitecaps 2  Seattle 0

Gauld and White both score as the Whitecaps win, aided by two red cards against Seattle - one in each half.

Next up - the Red Bulls in New York.  A tough test.

I tuned in late, so I didn't see the first sending off, but apparently it was originally a yellow that VAR upgraded to a red.

I did, however, see the second and it actually looked like the guy wanted to be sent off. Just barged into (and over) the 'Caps player, took his straight red and started walking off the pitch. I get being frustrated at being down 2-nil and down a man, but that was a pretty selfish play by Alex Roldan.

15 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Didn't watch the game but the highlights of the Galaxy/Earthquakes game last night are worth a look:

The game was on cable too....

I looked at the score fairly early and saw it was already 3-nil Galaxy, so I kind of wrote it off.....:classic_wacko:

It's not often that I lament living so far away from Vancity, but I'm honestly disappointed that I won't be able to see this game:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mls/article/vancouver-whitecaps-to-host-ryan-reynolds-owned-wrexham-afc-in-late-july-contest/

Wrexham AFC, co-owned by Canadian actor and Vancouver native Ryan Reynolds, is set to play Major League Soccer's Vancouver Whitecaps on July 27 at BC Place Stadium.

It will be the last of Wrexham AFC’s three North American matches this summer as part of their 2024 Wrex Coast Tour. Preceding the Vancouver visit, Wrexham will face English Premier League competition in California, against Bournemouth on July 20 in Santa Barbara, and Chelsea FC on July 24 in Santa Clara.

I'm not confident, but I hope there will be TV coverage....

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

It's not often that I lament living so far away from Vancity, but I'm honestly disappointed that I won't be able to see this game:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mls/article/vancouver-whitecaps-to-host-ryan-reynolds-owned-wrexham-afc-in-late-july-contest/

I'm not confident, but I hope there will be TV coverage....

Ticket prices (not set by the Whitecaps) are raising a few eyebrows:

Tickets went on sale Thursday, with prices starting at $104 and reaching as high as $350.

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/wrexham-vs-ancouver-whitecaps-july-27#:~:text=Tickets went on sale Thursday,reaching as high as %24350.

• chaos 1

Just now, UnkNuk said:

Tickets went on sale Thursday, with prices starting at $104 and reaching as high as $350.

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/wrexham-vs-ancouver-whitecaps-july-27#:~:text=Tickets went on sale Thursday,reaching as high as %24350.

Yeah that's pretty steep. Hopefully, they don't price themselves into an empty stadium....

Although, I might pay $250, if it included some sort of interaction with Blake.....:classic_wink:

19 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Yeah, I was gonna get tix during the pre-sale, but not for $104 each. Way too much for a meaningless game. Plus, I don't really care about Ryan Reynolds lol 

• Cheers 1

NYRB 1    Vancouver 1

An entertaining game.  Takaoka made two good saves at the start.  Brian White scored in front of family and friends as he makes his first trip back to New York since he was traded to Vancouver.  And, by scoring, be becomes the MLS Whitecaps highest scorer ever.  Red Bulls dominated most of the game but couldn't break through until a corner kick in the second half.  They continued pressing until a NY player took the most obvious handball penalty you're ever going to see and got red-carded.  From there the Whitecaps took over for the final 15 minutes but couldn't score.

Next up:  Austin.

12 hours ago, Allegend said:

Correction: Tough 0-0 draw for the Caps.

Yeah, I found it hard to focus my attention on it, too.

Too bad it was such a 'meh' game given the large crowd.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Yeah, I found it hard to focus my attention on it, too.

Too bad it was such a 'meh' game given the large crowd.

I don't really blame the 'Caps for the disappointing result. It looked like Austin's game plan was to pack the box, kick/head everything away and hope to get lucky on the counter....I can't even recall Takaoka having to make a save....:classic_unsure:

That being said, Gauld had a great opportunity from just outside the box and couldn't even get it on goal.....It was even on his preferred left foot....

Edited by RupertKBD

The Whitecaps start their campaign for a third consecutive Canadian Championship in Alberta on Tuesday against Canadian Premier League side Calvary at 6pm.

The game will be on OneSoccer and Fubo.

Calvary 1    Whitecaps 2

Levonte Johnson scores two as the Whitecaps win the opening game in their CC quarterfinals.

The opening half was 'meh' highlighted only by Johnson's first goal late in the half - a beautiful long distance shot that came out of nowhere.

The second half was more entertaining.  Chances at both ends.  Johnson scored his second to put the Caps up 2-0 but Calvary scored a late one to give them some hope going into the second leg on May 21.   

• Cheers 1

Today's Whitecaps game against LAFC is available on TSN5 at 7:30pm.

And, should you be in the mood, Messi is in Canada (apparently for the first time) as Miami plays Montreal at 4:30pm also on TSN5.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Today's Whitecaps game against LAFC is available on TSN5 at 7:30pm.

And, should you be in the mood, Messi is in Canada (apparently for the first time) as Miami plays Montreal at 4:30pm also on TSN5.

Does the Montreal team play on grass or the fake stuff? I’m curious if Messi plays on the fake stuff, like we have here. Be a shame if he just watches from the sidelines. 

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does the Montreal team play on grass or the fake stuff? I’m curious if Messi plays on the fake stuff, like we have here. Be a shame if he just watches from the sidelines. 

The game is at Saputo Stadium which has a grass field.

It seats 19,619 and as of yesterday there were still some seats available.  Ticket prices seem to be an issue:

In February, two CF Montreal supporters’ groups — 1642MTL and Collectif Impact Montréal — took issue with the rise in ticket prices for the Inter Miami match. The groups stated the club intended to charge $449 plus taxes in the designated supporters’ section, a departure from the usual $30 to $35 pricing.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10490350/messi-mania-inter-miami-cf-montreal/

• Thanks 1