The Whitecaps and MLS thread

The Whitecaps begin their journey in the CONCACAF Champions Cup tournament starting this Wednesday at 7pm.  The match is scheduled to be on OneSoccer and FUBO.

Most likely it's going to be a short journey.  Their opening round is a home and home contest against Tigres, a very good Mexican team that has already played five games in the Mexican League.

Due to a scheduling conflict with BC Place, this first game will be played in Langford at Starlight Stadium.

The return match, in Mexico, will be on February 14th.

Whitecaps 1   Tigres 1

An interesting game that the Whitecaps could have stolen.  A first half goal by new-comer Damir Kreilach gave the Caps a 1-0 lead.  And they juuuust about rode that one goal to victory until a Mexican player scored on a - it must be said - beautiful free kick late in the game.

Tigres had the stats on their side and deserved the draw.  But the Caps had their chances.  And given that they haven't played a meaningful game in months, they looked pretty good. 

Next, down to Mexico for the second leg next Wednesday.

10 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Couldn't really tell from the highlights....why was White's goal called back? He didn't look to be offside....:classic_unsure:

Also, if this is anything to go by, Takaoka had a really good night.

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Couldn't really tell from the highlights....why was White's goal called back? He didn't look to be offside....:classic_unsure:

Maybe there was an offside in the buildup???  Not sure.

4 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Maybe there was an offside in the buildup???  Not sure.

I'm assuming that was on OneSoccer, or Apple? Maybe someone who was able to watch it can weigh in.

There was another forward between the Keeper and the last defender, but I didn't see him play the ball in that replay. Could be that it wasn't part of the highlight package.

4 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

In the build up to the goal a player (can't remember who) was offside when he received a pass.

Takaoka did have a good night.

Another player that caught my eye was newcomer Fafà Picault.  He subbed in in the second half and the guy is fast.

For its first real outing the team looked good.  And that was without Cubas in the lineup.

• Cheers 2

Tigres 3  Whitecaps 0    (Tigres win series 4-1)

The game was closer than the score would indicate.  The Caps had their chances but couldn't finish.  Not too surprising since this was only their second serious game of the year.

A very stop and start kind of game, not much flow.   The field didn't help either.   A lot of players slipping.

Too bad - it would have been nice to see the Caps advance to the Round of 16.

So much for the Concacaf Champions Cup.   Next up - MLS season opener against Charlotte on March 2.

On 2/21/2024 at 7:23 PM, runningback33 said:

MLS Season kicked off tonight…

Miami 2 RSL 0

A tale of two halves.  Miami dominated the first half.  RSL dominated the second.  Miami put away their chances, RSL didn't.

It's only one game but based on that one game I'd agree with what one of the announcers said:  Miami may not be the juggernaut that many of us expect them to be.  But it's only one game.

The Whitecaps got the 'bye' for Week 1   (:classic_sad:) so their first game won't be until March 2.

Some interesting match-ups in Week 1:

LAFC/Seattle on Saturday - an early meeting between the early favourites to win the Western Conference.   

Cincinnati/Toronto on Sunday - what can John Herdman do with Toronto, last year's team with the worst record in the league?

Galaxy/Miami on Sunday - two of the glamour teams in MLS meet in LA.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I watched the replay of Montreal - Orlando City. About as entertaining as a nil-nil draw can be.

Orlando had a goal called back for Offside and Montreal missed on a clear cut breakaway in the last few minutes of regulation,

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

I watched the replay of Montreal - Orlando City. About as entertaining as a nil-nil draw can be.

Orlando had a goal called back for Offside and Montreal missed on a clear cut breakaway in the last few minutes of regulation,

you just explained in two sentences why I can't watch soccer. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

you just explained in two sentences why I can't watch soccer. 

It's an acquired taste, for sure. Took me a while as well....

Kind of like Scotch, actually....

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 1

Galaxy 1   Miami 1

An entertaining game that, but for a moment of Messi magic and a couple of missed opportunities for LA, should have been an LA win.

Based on this one game sample, the Galaxy are going to be a team to be reckoned with this season.

Cincinnati 0  Toronto 0

For Herdman's team to go into Cincinnati and come away with a draw is almost like a win.   Especially since Toronto finished last in the league last season and Cincinnati finished first.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

The Whitecaps opener against Charlotte on Saturday will be televised on TSN4 at 4:30pm.

Also, for Messi fans, the Orlando/Miami game on Saturday will be televised on FOX at 1:30pm.

Thanks, definitely going to be watching both

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, runningback33 said:

Thanks, definitely going to be watching both

I've said it before but I'll say it again:   I like watching soccer but, generally, on any given day, one soccer game is enough for me.

I know MLS is trying to establish Saturday as 'MLS Soccer' day.  But I wish they would stagger the games a bit.  Maybe one or two on Friday, a bunch on Saturday and several on Sunday.

This Week 2, for instance, there is no game on Friday, 13 games on Saturday and 1 on Sunday.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, runningback33 said:

Miami 5 Orlando 0

Messi with 2 goals

Along with 2 by Suarez.  And Orlando is predicted to be one of the better teams in MLS.

Miami scored 5 goals from 6 shots on goal (!).   Accuracy is nice.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, runningback33 said:

RSL 3 LAFC 0

that seems surprising result

The weather may have been a factor.   :classic_smile:

First the game was delayed by lightning.   Then, when it resumed, the central & south american LAFC players must have wondered what the hell they had gotten themselves into.

• Thanks 1