The Whitecaps and MLS thread

Also, apparently the first game of all the first round playoff games will be available for free viewing on Apple TV.

I believe all you need is an Apple account.  Create one (which is easy enough from what I remember), sign in and watch on your computer.

image.thumb.png.043d37ac1cc9d5c29172d03d744e256d.png

https://www.mlssoccer.com/schedule/scores#competition=all&club=all&date=2023-10-25

• Thanks 1

Lionel Messi earns US$20.4-million under contract with MLS’s Inter Miami

Lionel Messi’s annualized compensation from his Major League Soccer contract with Inter Miami is just over US$20.4-million, the MLS Players Association said Wednesday.

Messi earns more than the entire payroll of all but three other MLS teams and twice as much as every player combined on Orlando City.

The 36-year-old star has a US$12-million base salary and total guaranteed compensation of US$20,446,667, the players association said in its 2023 salary update.

Those figures cover what Messi receives from his MLS deal, which runs through the 2025 season, including any marketing bonus and agent’s fees. They do not account for any additional agreements with the team or its affiliates, or for any performance bonuses.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/article-lionel-messi-earns-us204-million-under-contract-with-mlss-inter-miami/

You might say, was the fix in for this game? The penalty kick was bad enough, but not until that ref went to video review did the whistle blow. The commentators were calling for offside long before the empty net goal. The fact that he never blew down play when he took out the Whitecap player was bad enough. I guess the Village of Vancouver doesn't deserve MLS National TV coverage. I will say this LA was a better club, but the Whitecaps deserved a better fate.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/referees-union-labels-whitecaps-head-coachs-comments-post-game-disgusting/article_5e21db6d-6677-5a00-9790-d17579e88202.html

"

VANCOUVER - The union representing soccer referees in Major League Soccer are criticizing comments made by Vancouver Whitecaps head coach Vanni Sartini after his team's playoff elimination on the weekend.

The Professional Soccer Referees Association called Sartini's post-match comments "disgusting" and that it takes the rhetoric against officials to a "dangerous new level."

The Whitecaps lost 1-0 to Los Angeles F.C. on Sunday courtesy of a penalty from league top scorer Denis Bouanga.

But Vancouver's players and coaching staff were upset with the decision to award the penalty as well as referee Tim Ford's collision with midfielder Alessandro Schopf in stoppage time, which prevented the Austrian from taking a shot and led to an apparent second goal for Bouanga.

Sartini was sent off for objecting to Ford initially awarding the goal — it was later ruled offside— following the collision with the Whitecaps player, and he labelled the referee's performance "disgraceful" in a press conference afterwards.

He also made a joke about being a suspect if Ford was found dead after the match, which appears to have sparked the pushback from the referees union.

"If they found him in False Creek then I'm going to be a suspect," Sartini said. "I'm not saying that I would do it, I'm saying I'm the first suspect, it's different."

Sartini made it clear he was joking and did add that he got along with Ford personally, but was upset with his work refereeing the crucial playoff game.

The Italian first took over as the Whitecaps interim coach in 2021 and recently signed a new contract through to 2025.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.thescore.com/us_fed/news/2780837/vancouver-coach-sartini-gets-heavy-suspension-for-playoff-tirade

Vancouver coach Sartini gets heavy suspension for playoff tirade

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) — Vancouver coach Vanni Sartini was suspended by Major League Soccer for the first six games of next season and fined $20,000 for his actions and comments about referee Tim Ford following a 1-0 loss to Los Angeles FC on Nov. 5 that eliminated the Whitecaps from the playoffs.

Sartini called Ford’s performance “disgraceful” and made a joke about being a suspect if Ford were to be found dead. Santini had been given a red card in the fifth minute of second-half stoppage time, triggering an automatic one-game suspension.

MLS said Thursday it assessed the additional five-game ban for “entering the field of play in a confrontational manner and public criticism.”

Sartini later apologized for his comments.

The league said Sartini must complete a league-approved behavioral assessment and comply with any recommended treatment. He may ask the league to reduce the penalty based on compliance with any recommended treatment.

12 minutes ago, Psylocke said:

From the article:

13 minutes ago, Psylocke said:

The league said Sartini must complete a league-approved behavioral assessment and comply with any recommended treatment.

Man, Sartini could be out for the season!    :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 2