European Football thread

Some interesting results today.

Luton got a win over Everton.  2 -1

Man City LOST to Wolves of all teams 2 - 1

Palace beat Man U 1 - 0

Villa smashed Brighton 6 - 1

And of course Arsenal beat Bournemouth 4 - 0.  Havertz gets a goal (penalty though).

Edited by the destroyer of worlds
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Spurs with the last minute winner over Liverpool 2 - 1.

So City top with 18 pts.  Spurs and Arsenal with 17 pts.  (Spurs in 2nd with 2 more goals scored than Arsenal on same goal difference).  Liverpool 4th with 16 pts.

Sunday, Oct 8 the match between Arsenal and City is huge.

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Havertz gets a goal (penalty though).

I thought giving the penalty shot to Havertz was really a good move by the team.  Maybe it gets him going.

And I liked the response of the Arsenal fans in attendance.  Despite his slow start, they haven't turned on him and were quite supportive of him after he scored.

For that matter, the Arsenal fans were in very good voice throughout the game.  A very lively crowd.

• Cheers 3

21 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Spurs with the last minute winner over Liverpool 2 - 1.

So City top with 18 pts.  Spurs and Arsenal with 17 pts.  (Spurs in 2nd with 2 more goals scored than Arsenal on same goal difference).  Liverpool 4th with 16 pts.

Sunday, Oct 8 the match between Arsenal and City is huge.

I was pulling for them, but Spurs got a pretty huge break....

Liverpool opens the scoring but the goal is ruled offside by VAR. The replay made it look like a good goal, but it was close....maybe they had a better angle?

Then, later on, they admit that a "mistake" was made? :picard: https://sport.optus.com.au/news/premier-league/os63898/liverpool-tottenham-var-error-disallowed-goal-offside

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

UEFA Champions League matchday 2 yesterday and today.

Kind of a mixed bag for the English clubs.  Man U and Arsenal lost yesterday.  Newcastle and Man City won today.  Newcastle beat PSG 4 - 1

Who had Newcastle top of the group of death and Man U bottom of their group?  I didn't as well as a lot of others.  I mean it is early, but there are only 4 more matchdays to go.  The two clubs in the group phase spots in Man U's group already beat them.  Also, Galatasaray won AT OLD TRAFFORD.  And Casemiro got a red card, so will be out for the next matchday later this month.

• Thanks 2

I think we can say that relegation will be fought amongst Luton Town, Burnley, Bournemouth, and Sheffield United with Everton and Wolves maybe having a look.  Wolves don't play until tomorrow and Everton beat Bournemouth 3 - 0 today.  Luton, Burnley, and Sheffield all lost.  Of them, Luton maybe deserved a draw with Spurs and Burnley was leading at 90 minutes, but lost in extra time to McTominay scoring both ManU goals after 90 minutes.  

And the crazy thing is that pending the Arsenal vs Man City match tomorrow, SPURS could end the weekend top.  A draw or even an Arsenal win of 1 - 0 or 2 -1 could see Spurs top.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

A few draws today, but the big match had a result.  Martinelli with the late goal, key assist to Havertz.  Both were subs.

Spurs top with Arsenal 2nd because Spurs have scored 2 more goals.  Both clubs have the same goal difference.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Neymar has torn ACL, set for surgery after injury with Brazil

Brazilian star Neymar is set for a lengthy spell on the sidelines after tests confirmed he suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus in his left knee during his country's World Cup qualifying loss to Uruguay on Tuesday, Brazil's football confederation (CBF) announced Wednesday.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38689169/neymar-torn-acl-set-surgery-injury-brazil

• Sad 1

Arsenal with the away win over Sevilla go top of their group with 6 points.  Two of their remaining matches (Sevilla and Lens) will be at home.

ManU gets the home win over Copenhagen.  Their remaining home match is on the final matchday against Bayern.  They will need to get results in their next 2 matches to make it to the group stage.

• Cheers 2

This could be big.  Man City is under investigation.  Other clubs could be shaking in their boots.  Any points deduction would be a 1st for a top-flight club.  

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/10/25/everton-premier-league-12-point-deduction-ffp-punishment/

Everton face 12-point deduction as Premier League demands FFP punishment

Exclusive: Everton are accused of breaching Premier League profit and sustainability rules after recording heavy financial losses

• Thanks 1

I wasn't familiar at all with Jude Bellingham until I read this article in the Sun complaining that English fans won't be able to watch this Saturday's Barcelona/Real Madrid game.

Jude Bellingham's hidden away Clasico debut is an insult to English football fans

If Jude Bellingham scores in his first Clasico but no one can see it, does it really make a sound?

The England star, who has arguably become the world’s best player, will make his debut appearance in one of the game’s iconic derbies on Saturday. Except no one at home will be able to watch Real Madrid’s visit to Barcelona live because it falls within the blackout.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jude-bellingham-real-madrid-barcelona-31276749?utm_source=mirror_newsletter&utm_campaign=euro2020_newsletter2&utm_medium=email&pure360.trackingid=5df9d52c-be54-4b4a-a2d9-23aeaaf01957

Possibly "...the world's best player"?????  Admittedly, other than watching Arsenal, I don't follow European soccer all that closely.  But to have some guy I've never heard of being touted as possibly the world's best player was still a surprise.

(The game is on here in Canada - 7am Saturday on TSN2.  I may take a glance at it if only to see possibly the world's best player.)

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

I wasn't familiar at all with Jude Bellingham until I read this article in the Sun complaining that English fans won't be able to watch this Saturday's Barcelona/Real Madrid game.

Jude Bellingham's hidden away Clasico debut is an insult to English football fans

If Jude Bellingham scores in his first Clasico but no one can see it, does it really make a sound?

The England star, who has arguably become the world’s best player, will make his debut appearance in one of the game’s iconic derbies on Saturday. Except no one at home will be able to watch Real Madrid’s visit to Barcelona live because it falls within the blackout.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jude-bellingham-real-madrid-barcelona-31276749?utm_source=mirror_newsletter&utm_campaign=euro2020_newsletter2&utm_medium=email&pure360.trackingid=5df9d52c-be54-4b4a-a2d9-23aeaaf01957

Possibly "...the world's best player"?????  Admittedly, other than watching Arsenal, I don't follow European soccer all that closely.  But to have some guy I've never heard of being touted as possibly the world's best player was still a surprise.

(The game is on here in Canada - 7am Saturday on TSN2.  I may take a glance at it if only to see possibly the world's best player.)

I mean that Robert Lewandowski guy who plays on Barcelona isn't that bad either.