The Unofficial Chess Thread A place to discuss chess, theory and share resources...

PeteyBOI

^ Gotta give props to Hans, many a person would crumble from all the derision he was getting.

Instead of retiring or snuffing himself, he went on a run that had him as high as #30 in the world.

Been a bit of a slide backwards recently, think he's in the 60-70th range.

• Cheers 1

true...

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

^ Gotta give props to Hans, many a person would crumble from all the derision he was getting.

Instead of retiring or snuffing himself, he went on a run that had him as high as #30 in the world.

Been a bit of a slide backwards recently, think he's in the 60-70th range.

i have no issues with him, he handled about as good as anyone could, Other people have also forgiven too... his youtube account gets reasonable views, Super Gms that reach that level are almost all geniuses, and you can tell he has something special about him... for a genius he is pretty personable...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I quit my admin position in the club i am part of, it was really starting to feel like an unpaid part time job, It was a good opportunity to meet new people and see how a club and members operate... plus its hockey season and i missed almost all the games because of chess club stuff. 

• Cheers 1

Title.thumb.jpg.d16d55fddd1f4fb7a3814d1f15fb2181.jpg

In the world of chess, we all know that checks and captures are the most powerful moves on the board. But what about the third most powerful and often forcing option? Enter "min-maxing." It's the art of maximizing your options and stifling your opponent's moves, all while strategically navigating the chessboard. As we delve into min-maxing, you'll discover how it unveils some of chess's most intriguing and influential positions, including one that can leave your opponent in a bind - zugzwang.

Understanding Min-Maxing in Chess
In chess, min-maxing is the strategic principle of maximizing your own options, ideas, and attacks while simultaneously minimizing your opponent's. It's not merely about taking space or controlling the center; it's about optimizing every move to its fullest potential. Let's break it down further:

Maximizing Your Moves: Min-maxing is all about making each move count. Consider moves that control key squares, lines, and files. Bonus points if you can have your pieces pointing in the king's direction, blocking pawns, or pinning pieces. These moves may seem unassuming, but they pave the way for a stronger position in the long run.

Minimizing Your Opponent's Ideas and Moves: At the same time, min-maxing involves restricting your opponent's moves, ideas, and threats. By anticipating their threats and preventing their plans, you limit their options. Sometimes, the best way to minimize your opponent's options is to challenge their piece and offer a trade. Alternatively, you can make a move that defends or over-defends your pieces and pawns, making it harder for your opponent to attack through your position.

By mastering the art of min-maxing, you'll find yourself in positions of control and power on the chessboard, ready to seize victory.

Article continues on Mastering Min-Maxing: A Powerful Chess Strategy - Chess.com

Edited by Dankmemes187
  • Thanks 1

a little love and shoutout to my friend and coach Martin Šacháček..  Czech National candidate master

he's a pretty nice dude and he will analyze his viewers games every tuesday.. haha I got to cherry pick a game in where i have created theory in a opening sideline, he analyzes my game in this video..

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Gurn said:

Couple of big wins today for 2 guys.

Levy Rozman beats Ali Reza Firouzja- the best blitz player in the world, during title Tuesday.

And Hans Nieman beat Levon Aronian at the US  Championship, classical time game- in 63 moves

https://www.chess.com/events/2023-us-chess-championship/05/Niemann_Hans_Moke-Aronian_Levon

i just watched the levy game... it was good... I will check out the hans game... Thanks... 

• Cheers 1

e4london.thumb.jpg.164daced4f6e3f6338f3fbb522e92653.jpg

A Beginners guide to the e4 london: or a game i played while asleep - Chess.com

Fresh from awakening from a dream in which I had captivating discussions with none other than the chess legend Tigran Petrosian, I found myself consumed by an irresistible urge to play chess. In this dream, I ventured into a surreal chess adventure inspired by instinct and guided by the Min-Max Theory—a theory that has been occupying my thoughts lately. The game started in the classic Vienna Opening, a seemingly ordinary beginning that would soon transform into a unique chess experience.

As the pieces moved with dreamlike fluidity, I was poised for a lesson in Min-Maxing, not from textbooks or tutorials, but from the master himself. What followed was a comical exchange of dream logic, chess wisdom, and maybe a few strange chessboard transformations. Join me as I recount this whimsical journey, and let's explore the dream-inspired chess adventure together.

petrosianDream.thumb.jpg.081b84413e80c387adca0729878ab79a.jpg

The game kicked off with the classic Vienna Opening, a few quick moves: 1.e4, e5, 2. Nc3, Nc6, and then 3. Bb5!? It felt like a Vienna Ruy Lopez hybrid—a curious choice born from the depths of my dreaming mind.

As the game progressed, I continued to rely on my instincts and embraced the Min-Max Theory, a concept I've been exploring in my recent blogs. I found myself in a position similar to the London System with an e4 twist. In the dream, my opponent launched a swift attack, and I, in turn, assumed a defensive stance—a position I'm remarkably comfortable in.

The pieces on my board were poised for action, ready to strike the moment my opponent's assault faltered. And, as if guided by some ethereal chess spirit, the moment arrived, and it happened quickly.

Now, folks, I invite you to take a look at the game—a game born from a dream, played with instinct, and seasoned with the strategic seasoning of the Min-Max Theory. Is it genius? or just a fleeting mirage, an act of a chess grifter? I'll let you be the judge.

board.gif.918cefc9b46c5687da20e4fcebd3adb3.gif

Edited by Dankmemes187
  • Cheers 1

Elevating Chess Analysis and Opening Exploration: Introducing Two Interconnected Projects

Greetings, chess enthusiasts,

I'm dankmemes187, a chess enthusiast on a mission to transform the way we analyze chess and explore opening strategies. It's my pleasure to introduce two projects that are intrinsically linked and set to take your chess experience to the next level.

Project 1: Streamlined Data Parsing for Precision Testing:

Our first project focuses on a precise approach to handling chess data. We're excited to share that we're currently in the testing phase, using a limited data set. During this phase, I'll be using my own dataset of 3000 games and the entirety of the Lichess database for the past year. This data will be parsed to focus on my specific openings and preferred time control (10-0). This focused approach is designed to speed up the testing phase and allow us to fine-tune the system.

Additionally, we're exploring the collection of move time frequency, allowing for customizable options. The analysis will consider the average move time for the appropriate rating and time control, scaled by increments of 100. This expansion of data points will provide a deeper understanding of the games we're analyzing.

Project 2: Chess Opening Explorer: Empowering Chess Players:

The Chess Opening Explorer, our second project, complements Project 1 seamlessly. Let's delve into its pivotal features, including an upcoming addition:

Unlocking Opening Sequences: This feature delves deep into opening sequences, utilizing the database to determine commonly played moves, high-winning percentage moves, stockfish engine evaluations, and the average time to make such moves. We're also introducing an exploration of move time frequency, giving you insights into the pacing of moves in various openings and time controls.

Compare and Analyze: Project 2 allows you to upload your PGN games and compare them against the database. In the near future, we'll introduce an analysis component that provides scores based on various criteria. This includes the frequency of moves, their performance in terms of winning percentages, and stockfish evaluations, all while considering move time data. This comprehensive analysis will be available for download.

A New Approach to Fair Play:

One of the groundbreaking elements in Project 2 is the concept of harmonizing custom PGN scores with the overall database scores, as well as integrating move time data. This innovative approach will enable the creation of a probability matrix across four criteria: move frequency, winning percentage performance, stockfish evaluations, and average time to make each move. By identifying proper values and developing a mathematical formula, we aim to use this resource to help detect cheating and irregularities in chess games.

Calling All Programmers and Mathematicians:

We're actively seeking the involvement of programmers and mathematicians who are passionate about chess and interested in contributing to these projects. If you're excited about making chess more accessible and fair, and if you have the technical skills to make a difference, we encourage you to join us.

Vision and Community Involvement:

Our vision involves strong community participation. We warmly welcome your feedback, insights, and contributions. Together, we can elevate these projects to a realm of excellence.

Thank you for your attention, and we eagerly await your engagement in these chess-enhancing initiatives.

Best regards,

dankmemes187

• Upvote 1

My first chess idol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Korchnoi

Viktor Lvovich Korchnoi[3] (Russian: Ви́ктор Льво́вич Корчно́й, IPA: [vʲiktər lʲvovʲɪtɕ kɐrtɕˈnoj]; 23 March 1931 – 6 June 2016) was a Soviet (before 1976) and Swiss (after 1980) chess grandmaster (GM) and chess writer. He is considered one of the strongest players never to have become World Chess Champion.[4]

Born in Leningrad, Soviet Union (USSR), Korchnoi defected to the Netherlands in 1976, and resided in Switzerland from 1978, becoming a Swiss citizen. Korchnoi played four matches, three of which were official, against GM Anatoly Karpov. In 1974, Korchnoi lost the Candidates Tournament final to Karpov. Karpov was declared World Champion in 1975 when GM Bobby Fischer declined to defend his title. Korchnoi then won two consecutive Candidates cycles to qualify for World Chess Championship matches with Karpov in 1978 and 1981 but lost both. The two players also played a drawn training match of six games in 1971.

Korchnoi was a candidate for the World Championship on ten occasions (1962, 1968, 1971, 1974, 1977, 1980, 1983, 1985, 1988, and 1991). He was also four times a USSR Chess Champion, five times a member of Soviet teams that won the European championship, and six times a member of Soviet teams that won the Chess Olympiad. He played competitive chess until old age. At age 75, he won the 2006 World Senior Chess Championship[5] and became the oldest person ever to be ranked among the world's top 100 players.[6]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The page of accomplishments is huge!

AS I age, I find the part that really stands out for me is this:

"Korchnoi became the oldest player ever to win a national championship, when he won the 2009 Swiss championship at age 78.[57] He won the national title again a few months after his 80th birthday in July 2011 after a playoff game with Joseph Gallaghe"

Gives me a bit of hope that my game has not peaked.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Gurn said:

My first chess idol:

Viktor Lvovich Korchnoi[3] (Russian: Ви́ктор Льво́вич Корчно́й, IPA: [vʲiktər lʲvovʲɪtɕ kɐrtɕˈnoj]; 23 March 1931 – 6 June 2016) was a Soviet (before 1976) and Swiss (after 1980) chess grandmaster (GM) and chess writer. He is considered one of the strongest players never to have become World Chess Champion.[4]

Born in Leningrad, Soviet Union (USSR), Korchnoi defected to the Netherlands in 1976, and resided in Switzerland from 1978, becoming a Swiss citizen. Korchnoi played four matches, three of which were official, against GM Anatoly Karpov. In 1974, Korchnoi lost the Candidates Tournament final to Karpov. Karpov was declared World Champion in 1975 when GM Bobby Fischer declined to defend his title. Korchnoi then won two consecutive Candidates cycles to qualify for World Chess Championship matches with Karpov in 1978 and 1981 but lost both. The two players also played a drawn training match of six games in 1971.

Korchnoi was a candidate for the World Championship on ten occasions (1962, 1968, 1971, 1974, 1977, 1980, 1983, 1985, 1988, and 1991). He was also four times a USSR Chess Champion, five times a member of Soviet teams that won the European championship, and six times a member of Soviet teams that won the Chess Olympiad. He played competitive chess until old age. At age 75, he won the 2006 World Senior Chess Championship[5] and became the oldest person ever to be ranked among the world's top 100 players.[6]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Korchnoi became the oldest player ever to win a national championship, when he won the 2009 Swiss championship at age 78.[57] He won the national title again a few months after his 80th birthday in July 2011 after a playoff game with Joseph Gallaghe"

I almost hit my goal rating of 1500 last week, playing way less games helped. I quit blitz and bullet  and am playing puzzles... where i also hit a new high

• Vintage 1

20 hours ago, Gurn said:

My first chess idol:

well, i think you can improve at any age... study the new theory and treasure the old, and make sure you use it against people that are very young... Magnus Carlsen Played the youngest person ever to Become GM in march of 2023... he Plaed the Advanced Panov Advance... the same one i played in the video earlier in the thread... I thought it was very fitting fro Magnus to choose this opening as the last person to play it Professionally was Him the same year his opponent was born... and the 2600 rated gm did not know the theory and was facing checkmate in 1 on turn 8...

• Cheers 1