The Unofficial Chess Thread A place to discuss chess, theory and share resources...

PeteyBOI

20 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Seems Chess, like other sports has a disparity in prize money for women.

A very large disparity at that.

1- the categories are not Men's Chess and Women's chess; but rather  Open tourneys, and Women's.  Women are welcome to play in the open tournaments, and many do.

2 If it were not for some backwards countries, who do not allow women to play against men, women's chess would cease to exist. 

I believe the day is coming when it will be just Chess, though it may take a few more decades, unfortunately.

3- it is difficult to quickly compare the strengths of men versus women, as many women only play against other gals, so the rating points available to gain and lose are different 'pools of points' to draw from.

If the rating points were directly comparable the  current top rated lady would finish just outside the top 100 players overall. 

This is not an attempt to suggest women can not play at the higher levels, but rather that so many more men play than women, that the pol of players is vastly different in size.

Much Like how Canada dominated in hockey for decades, that gap shrinks as more and more countries take up the game.

Here is a vid of the number 1 rated open player, Magnus Carlson losing to Judit Polgar, who for many a year was the strongest women in the world.

Granted, it is 3 minute game, played at a park, but it is still brilliant chess.

10 minutes ago, Gurn said:

1- the categories are not Men's Chess and Women's chess; but rather  Open tourneys, and Women's.  Women are welcome to play in the open tournaments, and many do.

2 If it were not for some backwards countries, who do not allow women to play against men, women's chess would cease to exist. 

I believe the day is coming when it will be just Chess, though it may take a few more decades, unfortunately.

3- it is difficult to quickly compare the strengths of men versus women, as many women only play against other gals, so the rating points available to gain and lose are different 'pools of points' to draw from.

If the rating points were directly comparable the  current top rated lady would finish just outside the top 100 players overall. 

This is not an attempt to suggest women can not play at the higher levels, but rather that so many more men play than women, that the pol of players is vastly different in size.

Much Like how Canada dominated in hockey for decades, that gap shrinks as more and more countries take up the game.

Here is a vid of the number 1 rated open player, Magnus Carlson losing to Judit Polgar, who for many a year was the strongest women in the world.

Granted, it is 3 minute game, played at a park, but it is still brilliant chess.

I dunno brother. 

I am for equal pay no matter what the " strengths and weaknesses" may or may not be.  

Was watching this, again, a few nights ago.

Not only the struggle for equal pay but also the sexism and homophobia some of these girls faced, and fought, so the girls of today not only have equal pay but more importantly the respect they deserve.

This is not a Women versus Men thing- except in some stone age countries. Which is the only reason a Women's category exists, so they can at least play some chess, in those back ass wards places.

Every where else the ladies are welcome to play in the Open field.

• Upvote 1

a woman just won the I'm not a Gm speed chess championship and the womens I'm not a gm speed chess championship, seems like they have a chance to win more prizes in some cases... howeve rits a shame that backwards countries still require the segregation

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

boys just thinking they can out play the girls,perhaps

Sometimes, but in this case both Cramlings are playing in the Women's tourney and not the Open.

Nice sacrifice/trade by Anna to force the resignation though. She also mentioned she might have wanted to castle a move or two earlier, to put pressure on a potential escape route.

She will post a recap tomorrow, as it is a rest day for the field.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

a woman just won the I'm not a Gm speed chess championship and the womens I'm not a gm speed chess championship, seems like they have a chance to win more prizes in some cases... howeve rits a shame that backwards countries still require the segregation

The T.V. show "Queen's Gambit" will cause a huge influx of women players, should result in a lot more GM's that happen to be women.

More competition, will make everyone better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw a thread on LiChess, saying FIDE is planning on making beginners start out at 1400 elo.

could see a few people playing a couple of games, then quitting while they are still above 1300.

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

The T.V. show "Queen's Gambit" will cause a huge influx of women players, should result in a lot more GM's that happen to be women.

More competition, will make everyone better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw a thread on LiChess, saying FIDE is planning on making beginners start out at 1400 elo.

could see a few people playing a couple of games, then quitting while they are still above 1300.

i agree and as more women go professional deciding to stay single and persue their career, many will find new hobbies... like chess. chess is nice because it can be a lifelong hobby. i have played MTG and risk... but chess just has a better community

Edited by Dankmemes187
  • Upvote 1

Levy- at Gothman Chess-youtube; posted a game he played at the University of Florida

Gave a speech, then played those that wanted to.

plays against a guy named Derek, thought he was a beginner, but learned different.

A good point for Levy is he can show when he loses, and not get all busted up in his head.

P.S. -Derek is a 2280 Us rating and like 2600 online. LOL.

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

Levy- at Gothman Chess-youtube; posted a game he played at the University of Florida

Gave a speech, then played those that wanted to.

plays against a guy named Derek, thought he was a beginner, but learned different.

A good point for Levy is he can show when he loses, and not get all busted up in his head.

P.S. -Derek is a 2280 Us rating and like 2600 online. LOL.

i like derek he is almost perfectly in tune with his supposed rating OTB and online. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Still watching the Cramling gals in the Euro team championship.

Pia is doing very well 6 points out of 8 rounds

Anna lost today and has 4 out of 7 games

Last round is tomorrow

Elo boost for both so far.

Pia up 4 elo

Anna up 16 elo.

https://chess-results.com/tnr832216.aspx?lan=1&art=20&turdet=YES&flag=30&snr=24

Mr cramling has two lovely girls, unfortunately alot of my free time is performing amateur cheat detection, but its hardly worth it. chess.com despite providing them with ample evidence where they are performing at a high end IM or low end GM level choose not to ban this player. so I only performs sleuthing at the request of another individual, just to provide peace of mind to them... I found about 20 members in two clubs performing rating manipulation, and chesscoms just said report it through the official support channel, I am done working for free for them.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

Mr cramling has two lovely girls, unfortunately alot of my free time is performing amateur cheat detection, but its hardly worth it. chess.com despite providing them with ample evidence where they are performing at a high end IM or low end GM level choose not to ban this player. so I only performs sleuthing at the request of another individual, just to provide peace of mind to them... I found about 20 members in two clubs performing rating manipulation, and chesscoms just said report it through the official support channel, I am done working for free for them.

I just closed my  second account, because they are unable to change your 'starting' rating.

Found that I started at way too low a setting- and was simply beating up beginners in order to gain elo.

found a thread where  mod Martin Stahl said the only way to fix that issues was to start again.

So I'm now on my 3rd account- closed the first one as I had clicked a tourney link- to see what the format would be- but the link signed me up.

Go online a few days later and find I'd lost like 18 games in a row, that I had not played. They also couldn't do anything about adjusting that- oh well.

I do wish they would announce an elo value to their 4 starting options, before you choose which button to click.

Started as an 'intermediate' this time and find it is a 1200 elo beginning point.

Thought about going with their expert- but I'm not a titled player rating, so that seemed too high.- As a said it would be hella easier if they published the rating!

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Gurn said:

I just closed my  second account, because they are unable to change your 'starting' rating.

Found that I started at way too low a setting- and was simply beating up beginners in order to gain elo.

found a thread where  mod Martin Stahl said the only way to fix that issues was to start again.

So I'm now on my 3rd account- closed the first one as I had clicked a tourney link- to see what the format would be- but the link signed me up.

Go online a few days later and find I'd lost like 18 games in a row, that I had not played. They also couldn't do anything about adjusting that- oh well.

I do wish they would announce an elo value to their 4 starting options, before you choose which button to click.

Started as an 'intermediate' this time and find it is a 1200 elo beginning point.

Thought about going with their expert- but I'm not a titled player rating, so that seemed too high.- As a said it would be hella easier if they published the rating!

1600 hundred is expert... when i reach that in my main account im starting from there... i want to see if my bullet or rapid increases... seems crazy im a 700 bullet but a 1450 rapid.

• Cheers 1

European Team Chess tourney is over

Both Pia and anna lost today.

Pia was in a very good position until move 29, then was in a borderline lost position. 1 move made a huge difference.

Anna had fought back to even, then began to slip about move 34.

Pia finished with 5 wins 2 ties for 6 out of 9 points.  Elo dropped 1.9 due to strength of opponents

Anna finished  with 3 wins 2 ties for 4 out of 8 points. She gained 9.2 elo.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the open side of the tourney Magnus, playing for his home country of Norway, finished with 5 wins, 3 draws for 6.5 out of 8. only gained .6 elo

The 2500-2600 elo guys are getting tougher, and when you are a high rated as Magnus at #1, 2829 elo you have to beat a lot of people to gain any over all elo.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Levy Rozman aka GothanChess on you tube and twitch is currently in England on a tour in support of both his best selling book, and websites.

Never thought I'd see a day when an Im, or even GM for that matter would be so popular as to have 4.37 million subscribers.

Whole new world for the game of chess.

looks like it's time for another Chess cheating accusation-sort of

I'm not very good with the math involved here, but I do get Levy's point of 'how would we truly know, unless we are in the room when they play?'

Also the idea that people would use older chess computers, that still kick ass; and not the most dominant recent ones, to disguise their efforts is interesting.

• Like 1

shutterstock_488843944.thumb.png.fd8656e79200f94c45ecd37af2e8e4bf.png

In the captivating world of games, life and chess share a profound similarity –  

"We Live                                                                                   We Laugh                                                                                                             We Die "

Both are played on a field where strategy and skill determine the victor. In chess, however, a significant challenge arises from the disparity in player ratings, which can profoundly impact the game's outcome. Drawing inspiration from the gripping narrative of 'Squid Game', this blog delves into a groundbreaking formula designed to level the playing field, transforming chess into a contest of wits rather than a battle of ratings.

phpYaMNsS.thumb.jpeg.f2231b97ca16ad2d8c5a109f22584fe0.jpeg

The Challenge of Rating Disparities

In chess, the Elo rating system serves as a benchmark for player skill. Yet, it introduces a dilemma: how to ensure a balanced game when faced with vast rating differences. However,

"Life is like a game, there are many players. If you Don't Play With Them, They Will Play With You"

Chess enthusiasts yearn for a fair contest, where skill and strategy, not just ratings, dictate the game's flow.

phppopEm2.png.265634e913811fcad0aaea1a6f826ef0.png

More on my blog.... Mastering Fair Play: A New Chess Time Control Formula. Now, better than Never - Chess.com 

I actually submitted this Blog for an Award, perhaps a comment would be nice.

cheeseburgers GIF

• Cheers 1

On 11/21/2023 at 4:46 PM, Gurn said:

looks like it's time for another Chess cheating accusation-sort of

I'm not very good with the math involved here, but I do get Levy's point of 'how would we truly know, unless we are in the room when they play?'

Also the idea that people would use older chess computers, that still kick ass; and not the most dominant recent ones, to disguise their efforts is interesting.

I have been working on a formula for a while and i finished it because of this controversy... many many people are submitting their own blogs and i wanted a tool to help my own judgement, just so happens that it has many purposes. Using my cheat sheet you can create your own time odds matches and hopefully i did the math right... I did.

• Cheers 1

On 11/11/2023 at 9:16 PM, Ilunga said:

I dunno brother. 

I am for equal pay no matter what the " strengths and weaknesses" may or may not be.  

Was watching this, again, a few nights ago.

Not only the struggle for equal pay but also the sexism and homophobia some of these girls faced, and fought, so the girls of today not only have equal pay but more importantly the respect they deserve.

although this is not the topic for it, but since many of the chess community is not fair, ill share my thoughts.

I actively support however you identify in chess.I also support Female's in chess and their past victories and acknowledge their challenges they face.  judit polgar is a great past player and actively supported and promoted her chess.com sponsored tournament, Our club invited 4 members... 2 adults 1 of them female and 2 youth one of them female. we have many young members and im a tough coach, bad manners gets them a seat in the 5 questions... (Yesterday i noted this... 1Do you enjoy chess? 2.what are your thoughts on *subject* 3.did you consider your fellow peers feelings when *subject* happened? 4.did you consider how you may look to others in regards to *subject* 5. do you think their may be a better way of handling *subject* of the situation in the future?

I have fond memories of my time in Chess.

I won my middle school and high school tournament in both 1994 and 1996 respectively, and also won Regionals in 1996. In qualified for Provincials in both 94' and 96' and finished 3rd in both events.  I wasn't a serious player but I was able to cross over into the 1400 range (retired at 1401) and technically graduated from 'advanced beginner' to 'Intermediate' (1400 is that level; Level C chess player = 1400-1599).  I played casually on and off over the years (1990-1998; 2012-2023) and then "retired" a few months ago.  

A part of me wants to keep playing but I'll be pursuing Doctorate studies in the not-so-distant future (EdD in Curriculum and Design).  I'm also a seasoned Investor and so given that both of these endeavours require a lot of focus and is mentally taxing, I'd prefer to have a more physical side hobby to complement that.  As a result, I decided to hang up the chess gloves (chess......underwear?) and take up Badminton as my old man sport (I'll be 43 in two months and plan to play Badminton until I'm about 60).  I was a tennis player during my grade schooling and University days (played NCAA Division I tennis and achieved an NTRP rating of between 5.0-5.5).  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1