The Unofficial Chess Thread A place to discuss chess, theory and share resources...

PeteyBOI

Tourney in Qatar just wrapping up.

Magnus finishes in 9th spot

Eric Rosen, at 2341 goes 5/9 with 2 wins including victories over  a 2470 and a 2445 fide players.

everyone he played was higher rated so those 6 ties look pretty good- loss was to 2476 Josiah Stearman.

I figure Eric should pick up about 14-18 rating points.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Tourney in Qatar just wrapping up.

Magnus finishes in 9th spot

Eric Rosen, at 2341 goes 5/9 with 2 wins including victories over  a 2470 and a 2445 fide players.

everyone he played was higher rated so those 6 ties look pretty good- loss was to 2476 Josiah Stearman.

I figure Eric should pick up about 14-18 rating points.

100 elo is a big underdog too.. i watched some of his own reviews..eric has one of those soothing calming voices like Mr.rogers...

• Vintage 1

LOL who says chess is boring... I present to you a struggle in power as 3000 chess begginners, trolls, intermediates face off and try to organize as we make plans to defeat a national master who is rated higher tham many GM's in correspondence chess... I spent about 6 hours pregame studying my opponent finding their weakness, and then i spoent hours finding a weakness in that opening... And i found it... Using technology friom 2023 i found a new best move on move 6 for black in the caro kann tal variation... so i studied about the next 4 moves and about 5 ideas past move 10 for each side... i spent hours writing out my thoughts drawing diagrams to convince the plebs... But i faced people that spat upon my work and called it overkill and a waste of time, I waited for the opportune time to respond. and said this

i wish you luck with playing e5... or c6... or d5... you do not have a gameplan like the c6 move does... you will die by your silly rules... scared to make a deviation... in wars rules make great sense... but in one on one battles... playing dirty and finding every advantage possible is what makes a difference between a tombstone and a champion! Im claiming Captain of the Caro Kann game... its the only game i will captain... otherwise you can have your fakers who wont put any work into the process and just .bash others who they feel threatened by... insulting is for losers!

VOTE CALL C6!

feel free to support me here... SamCopeland vs The World Vote Chess Game - Chess.com

or if your interested in the novelty i invented in the caro kann tal variation let me know

Edited by Dankmemes187

• 2 weeks later...

Down to the last 2 rounds of the Grand Swiss tourney.

Top 2 finishers earn spots in the Candidates tourney-the winner of that tourney will face Ding Liren for the title of World Champ.

I'm thinking they will have to play some tie breaker games because currently:

a 6 way tie for first place at 6.5 points

a 6 way tie for 2nd at   6 points

a 18 player tie for 3rd at 5.5 points.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Gurn said:

Hikaru is currently destroying Fabio Caruana in about 25 moves.

https://www.chess.com/tv

hmmm... some people are starting to accuse Hikaru of cheating... its become quite the scandal this cheating... the 14th world Champion vladimir Kramnik is causing quite the ruckus... but one cool thing is the champion is having open discussions on his chess.com blog with anyone having sensible discussions around the topic of cheating. I knoa almost all of the people speaking with him on the topic, but i dont want to rock the boat.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

hmmm... some people are starting to accuse Hikaru of cheating... its become quite the scandal this cheating... the 14th world Champion vladimir Kramnik is causing quite the ruckus... but one cool thing is the champion is having open discussions on his chess.com blog with anyone having sensible discussions around the topic of cheating. I knoa almost all of the people speaking with him on the topic, but i dont want to rock the boat.

How do you cheat in chess? Serious question. 

6 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

I se Gotham is  a bit annoyed with Hans.

Hans said he'd played 2 perfect games in the tourney( to that point) and Gotham did a vid saying Hans played at 100%.

Seems Hans got annoyed and thought Levy was trying to subtly say Hans was cheating- this despite Levy being one of the most balanced commentators on the whole scandal.

Guess Hans ticked Levy off- he is now saying things like "Han's played like a machine-oh I can't say that , can I?"

Drama sells.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Barnstorm said:

well there is many ways actually... you ever hear of big blue back in the late 90's when the computer beat the world champion? that was a super computer beating the best player of all time... now my 4 year old 400$ laptop is like 10X faster than that computer... you could create a computer as fast as that super computer that could fit into the heel of a shoe add a bluetooth receiver and have it analyzing a video of the chess game, using some simple code to highlight the one of the 64 square that needs attention is all thats needed for a grandmaster to figure out the move... even someone like me who isnt even a master would likely figure it out most the time...

in online chess its much easier, cheating if done effectively could be impossible to detect, but that effectiveness would need several thousands dollars of investment to acheive...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

If there is a live audience, it is possible that a 'plant' in the crowd can use a small chess computer/ cell phone to find the best moves, and by doing something as 'innocent' as taking off a jacket, direct the player that a certain piece would be the best move.

Pre- arranged code- jacket of means Queen move, hat off means rook move etc.

In Hans's case it was alleged by many, in the chess world, and many in the media that he had a device planted in a body cavity, that would vibrate to indicate  moves that were best.

How a 19 year old survived that kind of scrutiny and scorn, from millions of ill informed people was remarkable.

Han's is a mentally tough dude, but I think he over reacted to Levy's 100% comments. As Levy said "If Hikaru plays 100% I'd mention that too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I se Gotham is  a bit annoyed with Hans.

Hans said he'd played 2 perfect games in the tourney( to that point) and Gotham did a vid saying Hans played at 100%.

Seems Hans got annoyed and thought Levy was trying to subtly say Hans was cheating- this despite Levy being one of the most balanced commentators on the whole scandal.

Guess Hans ticked Levy off- he is now saying things like "Han's played like a machine-oh I can't say that , can I?"

Drama sells.

yup... you wonder what is real in the world of social media... This whole Hans cheating controversy could be scripted... clearly cheating is not good for chess, but the game is more popular than ever... Hans is now a god among certain individuals

• Upvote 1

Just now, Gurn said:

If there is a live audience, it is possible that a 'plant' in the crowd can use a small chess computer/ cell phone to find the best moves, and by doing something as 'innocent' as taking off a jacket, direct the player that a certain piece would be the best move.

Pre- arranged code- jacket of means Queen move, hat off means rook move etc.

In Hans's case it was alleged by many, in the chess world, and many in the media that he had a device planted in a body cavity, that would vibrate to indicate  moves that were best.

How a 19 year old survived that kind of scrutiny and scorn, from millions of ill informed people was remarkable.

Han's is a mentally tough dude, but I think he over reacted to Levy's 100% comments. As Levy said "If Hikaru plays 100% I'd mention that too.

yes, but they would need to be in line of sight... but it wouldnt be as effective as using a code to just name the square that needs a piece to be moved to... using just vibrations you could notate the square... 7 quick vibes followed by 3 quick vibes would mean g3, or maybe morse code is more effective

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Yes, I remember that “super, in its day, computer “. Seems weird that players at this level would cheat although there must be huge dollars and prestige involved. Thanks.

$80,000 to the winner of this current tourney.

Top 2 get to play in the final tournament to decide who plays for the world championship.

Whoever wins the world title makes lots of money, just to show up in the tourneys- and endorsement deals.

Huge bucks involved-especially if you are from a country with a reduced currency.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Watch Danya and Peter on the Chess.com live coverage this a.m. and after about 5 hours you could see Naroditsky having trouble remembering his own name.

commenting on multiple high level games, trying to show the masses just what could happen in each game must be incredibly tiring.

I'd like someone to ask him if he finds it easier to actually play in tournaments, as compared to doing 'play by play'. 

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

Watch Danya and Peter on the Chess.com live coverage this a.m. and after about 5 hours you could see Naroditsky having trouble remembering his own name.

commenting on multiple high level games, trying to show the masses just what could happen in each game must be incredibly tiring.

I'd like someone to ask him if he finds it easier to actually play in tournaments, as compared to doing 'play by play'. 

chess is tough... last month i forced myself to do 100 basic checkmates a day for a week... i fell asleep while calculating a few times

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

Alexandr Grischuk about cheating - Chess.com   please note this is a russian grand master translating from russian to english below, so its hard to read...

Grandmaster Alexand

"I think online chess as a whole is doomed. But I think that we, chess players, can do something - first of all, start treating cheating differently. 

Now the attitude is: "well, cheater, nothing special" and this needs to be changed. I don't want to say that I am D'Artagnan, and everyone around is not good people, no, this also concerns me. I also say hello to people who, I'm sure, are cheaters. There are very few of them, literally four people. I try not to talk once again, but to say hello, I say hello, so there is also my fault. 

I believe that the attitude towards this should become completely negative, because this is "rat-ratting". You are not stealing money from Chess.com or from FIDE, you are not fighting with the "system". No, you steal from your colleagues, comrades. The attitude towards such people should become like towards rats. So that they become complete outcasts in the chess environment. Here the responsibility is on us, on the players, including me. As in life, each of us can't do anything on our own, but together we can do virtually anything."

"Everyone is very concerned about the feelings of suspected cheaters. I don't quite understand it. If you played fair and you were accused of cheating, this is the best compliment. I dream of being accused of cheating. It will mean that I have finally played a great game, at least one tournament, one game. 

Playing with a cheater for an honest person is a wild blow to the psyche. When you lose to a cheater and you don't know for sure, there's nothing worse. You completely lose confidence in yourself. During such a game, not a single idea, not a single tactics works. You're just being smeared. Therefore, there is a big question whose feelings need to be protected."

Edited by Dankmemes187
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

Grand Swiss tournament is over

Vidit Santosh Gujrathi places first with 8.5 points and wins $80,000 U.S.

Hikaru Nakamura places 2nd with 8, out of a possible 11 points and wins $60,000

more importantly, to both; they are now in the Candidates tourney-the winner of which will challenge for the World Championship.

On the women's side

Vaishalli Rameshbabu    finishes in first place,  with 8.5 out of 11 winning $25,000. This was an incredible performance by her. she gains enough elo to earn the title Grand Master- having surpassed the 2500 elo rating.- the 21yr old joins her younger brother as a titled Grandmaster.

Anna Muzychuk places 2nd with 8 out of 11 and earns $17,500

Both are now in the upcoming Women's candidate tourney.

GM Pia Cramling gets 7th spot with 7/11.   -this lady, the mother of streamer WFM Anna Cramling, is 60 yrs old, and still a damn fine chess player.

• Like 1

thumbnail.thumb.png.77488507cb8f57d9498c86b687d380e1.png

my blog where i played a game of chess for the anti chess cheating community... the game is vs a Bot called maia... Maiachess.com

we have the same Rating and we play a game of whose the Bot... in my blog you can go over the game before you can open the video results where i prove who is the bot and who is not...

Whose the bot? and whose not? a game vs a human and a human bot? - Chess.com

• Upvote 1

Move 16 for black, knight x pawn @e5 was my biggest tell for who was who, leaving white to do a bishop for a rook exchange-seemed like to much numerical value for a bot to lose.- also there didn't seem to be enough compensation for that value loss.

However I still would not have put money on my guess.

Cool idea  for a series of vids.

27 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Move 16 for black, knight x pawn @e5 was my biggest tell for who was who, leaving white to do a bishop for a rook exchange-seemed like to much numerical value for a bot to lose.- also there didn't seem to be enough compensation for that value loss.

However I still would not have put money on my guess.

Cool idea  for a series of vids.

maybe ill do one a day for a week... takes a while to make the video...

you are probably right about the compensation, I just knew that the moves would throw them off really hard for a 1400 hundred to defend... sometimes ill sac a piece for no compensation whatsoever just to get an attack... also i felt that rook was going to do nothing for a long time and force me to castle which i didnt want to do...

• Upvote 1

On 11/6/2023 at 7:13 AM, Gurn said:

Grand Swiss tournament is over

Vidit Santosh Gujrathi places first with 8.5 points and wins $80,000 U.S.

Hikaru Nakamura places 2nd with 8, out of a possible 11 points and wins $60,000

more importantly, to both; they are now in the Candidates tourney-the winner of which will challenge for the World Championship.

On the women's side

Vaishalli Rameshbabu    finishes in first place,  with 8.5 out of 11 winning $25,000. This was an incredible performance by her. she gains enough elo to earn the title Grand Master- having surpassed the 2500 elo rating.- the 21yr old joins her younger brother as a titled Grandmaster.

Anna Muzychuk places 2nd with 8 out of 11 and earns $17,500

Both are now in the upcoming Women's candidate tourney.

GM Pia Cramling gets 7th spot with 7/11.   -this lady, the mother of streamer WFM Anna Cramling, is 60 yrs old, and still a damn fine chess player.

Seems Chess, like other sports has a disparity in prize money for women.

A very large disparity at that.