[Rumour] - Phil the thrill linked to Canucks

Low risk acquisition.  If Phil sticks with the team, I think Mik is out.  2nd + Mik for Tanev.

Kessel Miller Boeser

Hogz EP Lindholm

Joshua Blue Garland
PDG Suter Laff

Aman

Hughes Hronek

Zad Tanev

Cole Myers

Juulsen Friedman

Demko

DeSmith

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

53 minutes ago, Marty_Blopper said:

If we sign Phil, does that mean we trade Mikayhev? Mik doesn’t belong on the 4th line. The top 2 are set if Phil joins Miller, we ain’t breaking up the 3rd… so, do we get an extra 4 mil for a stud D?

If we sign Phil which seems most likely we definitely aren't trading Mik. 

This moves likely starts with kessel on the 4th and best case pushes Suter or Mik depending on the lineup we roll out down to the bottom 6

Creates a deeper forward group assuming he can still skate.

Edited by Bobby Lou
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, BPA said:

Low risk acquisition.  If Phil sticks with the team, I think Mik is out.  2nd + Mik for Tanev.

Kessel Miller Boeser

Hogz EP Lindholm

Joshua Blue Garland
PDG Suter Laff

Aman

Hughes Hronek

Zad Tanev

Cole Myers

Juulsen Friedman

Demko

DeSmith

Unless you are planning on retaining 50% on mikheyev calgary laughs and hangs up.. they have 0 use for a overpaid 30 point defensive forward that still have 2 years remaining after this 

On 2/10/2024 at 6:04 AM, RedRover said:

yenno, it really is so appropriate that it took a bunch of junk swinging yankees to light this team up again. canadians and europeans are so milque-toaste nanny state pauperists now.

1776 will return

Ridiculous that you subscribe to that nonsense propaganda.

I love me a good comeback story, and I have a little fantasy rolling in my head where Phil plays wing for Petey or Miller and pots 10 goals this season. It would really be the cherry on top of an already epic regular season. Oh, and then he scores the winner in the Stanley Cup Finals. That'd be nice too.

I just have a hunch he might be that x-factor that any team needs to go deep in the playoffs.

Realistically, at his age and with how long he hasn't played hockey, getting up to mid-season speed within a week or two (we'd need him going right away to keep our top-of-the-West pace up) would seem so improbable. Perhaps he's gotten himself in to the best shape of his career and has been skating super hard all this time. And his teammates have described him as a genetic freak and a fantastic athlete, so maybe he's the one guy that can do it at his age and give himself a fairy tale ending to his career.

On 2/8/2024 at 6:22 PM, King Heffy said:

He consistently scores very well on fitness testing.

https://www.markerzone.com/news/index.php?no=159404

Are you all out of your fkn minds???? Check out the date on the tweet sparky its 2014. There is no way in hell kes suits up for us, we shipped kuzmenko out for being lazy. Tocchet would have to go against everything hes been preaching all year if we sign him. If JR loves him so much he can host him in the suite and they can watch the games together with hot dogs and beers cos thats where hed be anyway. Saves a couple of million as well

• Cheers 1

Why do people think that if Kessel comes to Vancouver then Mikheyev is out? We are going for a run at the cup and we are NOT letting go of players. All hands on deck! If Kessel is signed he will be part of the supporting cast. Mikheyev, whether you like him or not is part of the team. We are looking to add and not subtract.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, theochar said:

Are you all out of your fkn minds???? Check out the date on the tweet sparky its 2014. There is no way in hell kes suits up for us, we shipped kuzmenko out for being lazy. Tocchet would have to go against everything hes been preaching all year if we sign him. If JR loves him so much he can host him in the suite and they can watch the games together with hot dogs and beers cos thats where hed be anyway. Saves a couple of million as well

couple million? league minimum is around $750k.

and it's tocchet that loves kessel. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Provost said:

Why?

Kessel almost certainly starts on the 4th line and is a role player.  He isn’t Kessel from 10 years ago.

IF he managed a fountain of youth type burst and looked good enough to be in the top six, why not drop Mikheyev to the 4th line?  He is an excellent defensive player and a Lafferty-Suter-Mikheyev line wouldn be amazing depth and be able to play both a match up game and also put up some offence.

I think people need to give Mikheyev a little bit of a pass right now.  He just hasn’t gotten his speed back after his injury, and that isn’t uncommon.  It often takes having a full offseason of training and recovery to get back to 100%.  We haven’t seen him with his best asset at 100%.  Don’t trade him away when he is a likely candidate to fully bounce back next year and even have another gear by the time the playoffs come around.

Hate to say it but Mik is damaged goods. His best asset was his speed. Had a career high in Toronto in his last year. On the third line. I don't know why he's on the top 6 to be honest. He's a bottom 6 forward that can forecheck well, skate and defend. But putting up points is not his forte. Overpaid. 

Edited by mmkk
  • Confused 1

I don't get it. 

We ship out kuz, loved in the locker room, not good enough defensively and replace him with a guy 10 years older who is bad defensively and can't play top 6 minutes. Or he plays in the bottom six and takes the place of one of our great effort guys because that's a good message for a pdg type.

Sign him to a Minimum in case of injury i hope.

IMG_4971.thumb.png.9694e644eaaf74fb5acd4376ff14557c.png

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
h
  • chaos 1

9 hours ago, BPA said:

Kessel Miller Boeser

Hogz EP Lindholm

Joshua Blue Garland
PDG Suter Laff

Aman

Hughes Hronek

Zad Tanev

Cole Myers

Juulsen Friedman

Demko

DeSmith

I like your forward lines if Kessel still has his legs. His Abby time should tell the tale. 

On the d-side your 2 nd pairing of Zad/Tanev will likely be a non starter. I don't think Zad is considered a 2LD and Tanev will be to expensive to get. IMHO Juulson is the dark horse on the roster. Right now he is outplaying Meyers and could be the defacto 2RD with Meyers dropping to 3 RD but their TOI evenly split. I think RT has to boost Juulson's TOI to determine this. I think Soucy is the 2LD with a Cole/Zad 3LD to be determined. I think both Cole/Zad can play RD as well. 

I think there’s some tunnel vision / small picture thinking & maybe some ignorance by some re: this player and what he can bring (including experience) / acquisition cost. Think bigger picture! 

Remember what Sudin brought to the table (short & long term) & I’m not just talking about his play on the ice. I’m talking impact on the younger players. Many spoke on it for years after . 

Edited by 88Canuck
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

I don't get it. 

We ship out kuz, loved in the locker room, not good enough defensively and replace him with a guy 10 years older who is bad defensively and can't play top 6 minutes. Or he plays in the bottom six and takes the place of one of our great effort guys because that's a good message for a pdg type.

Kuz Missile was eating 5.5 on the cap for this year and next. Kessel will be league minimum for only the rest of this season. Plus, Kessel will only play when he’s needed and will be responsible without the puck. And Kessel, even at 36, is the far superior player. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, BPA said:

Kessel Miller Boeser

Hogz EP Lindholm

Joshua Blue Garland
PDG Suter Laff

Aman

Hughes Hronek

Zad Tanev

Cole Myers

Juulsen Friedman

Demko

DeSmith

Yeah we don't need 4+ on the 4th line. If this gets us Tanev I'm more ok with it. It's crazy Tocchet wants and is vouching for the hotdog guy lol but I trust him. 

4 hours ago, mmkk said:

Hate to say it but Mik is damaged goods. His best asset was his speed. Had a career high in Toronto in his last year. On the third line. I don't know why he's on the top 6 to be honest. He's a bottom 6 forward that can forecheck well, skate and defend. But putting up points is not his forte. Overpaid. 

ACL surgery just takes time to get back from and is directly related to his power and speed.

It isn’t a permanent issue, just a time one.  Being able to play and have full power are different timelines, he is still in the latter which can be 18 months.  This isn’t like a lot of hip surgeries where the effects are often permanent.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

I don't get it. 

What are you talking about?

Lindholm replaced Kuzmenko. Kessel would be a depth signing at league min.

And I imagine they’re looking to add another replacement so that Suter isn’t in the top 6.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Disappointing to see a lot of people not understanding what Mikheyev brings to the lineup and how soon he got on the ice after a major injury and surgery.

He is a top nine the Canucks will need. He's also nowhere near running at top speed right now and will have a decent production number by end of year.

Ya, we have just seen a few bursts of his top speed.  There is no reason so believe with routine ACL surgery that he will have any permanent effects.  The Mikheyev you will see after a full offseason is going to have two extra gears and ability to create separation.

He is literally one of the very fastest players on the planet at full health, and for a team that lacks speed overall that is a good guy to have around.

The fact he is still playing a solid game is a testament to his intelligence as a player.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1