D Jacob Truscott

(SJS) 2024 6th Round Pick

**F Reilly Smith • Retained Salary

$5,000,000 AAV to $2,500,000 AAV

(Contracts ends on July 1st, 2025)**

VANCOUVER   G Alex Stalock

ANAHEIM   F Ty Glover

(Conditional) 2027 7th Round Pick

If Vancouver wins the Stanley Cup in 2024 AND Stalock plays in 3 playoff games than Anaheim will receive this pick.

PLAYOFFS LINES/ROSTER

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Smith - Lindholm - Hoglander

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Suter - Lafferty - Kessel

Dries - Aman - Di Giuseppe 

Hughes - Myers 

Zadorov - Hronek

Cole - Tanev

Soucy - Juulsen

Hirose - Woo

Demko

DeSmith

Stalock

LTIR

Brisebois

Poolman

Abbotsford

Bains - Raty - Podkolzin 

Nielsen - Sasson - Klimovich

Loewen - Karlsson - Wouters

Zlodeyev - Stevens - Gatcomb 

Bloom         Walker

Wolanin - Johansson

Irwin - Kannok Leipert

Cicek - McWard

Schmiemann  - Nychuk

Silovs

Sawchenko

Tolopilo

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I'd be pretty pissed as a Flames fan if that was the return they got back for Tanev.  It's a tidy way of us shedding cap for re-signing our UFAs.

I'd say the Smith trade might be more egregious, especially with the retention.

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I can barely see the proposals because I have the settings on dark mode but he made the font colour black.

Jacob Truscott LOL

Edited by Miss Korea

8 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

I'd be pretty pissed as a Flames fan if that was the return they got back for Tanev.  It's a tidy way of us shedding cap for re-signing our UFAs.

How so? Calgary originally wanted to re-sign Tanev (as well as all their pending UFAs). Tanev currently makes $4.5 Million AAV and would likely cost a raise to $4.75 Million AAV and because of his age it would probably only be for around 2 years. Thus adding Mikheyevs contract is the exact same cost as re-signing Tanev. Also it's not a cap-dump with Mikheyev, he's very good friends with Kuzmenko who they have now. Mikheyev has proven to be arguably a top three fastest player in the league yet he might need a change of scenery. Add in we give them a poor-mans Tanev in Friedman to fill-in and who potentially they could re-sign. Plus they get a 1st Round Pick when they're currently asking for only a 2nd and "maybe another asset" for Tanev.

Please explain your logic..

3 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

I can barely see the proposals because I have the settings on dark mode but he made the font colour black.

Jacob Truscott LOL

Yes Jacob Truscott. The Captain of the University of Michigan and a likely Hobey Baker nominee. Truscott has reportedly declined to sign with Vancouver so we should get value for his rights while we can.

Anaheim was able to get a 3rd Round Pick for Henry Thrun who just like Truscott, was the captain of his NCAA team and refused to sign with the team that drafted him.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Great trades. Myers on are top pairing with Hughes? 🤔

That is match-ups for playoffs. Teams will be looking to HAMMER and forecheck the **** out of undersized top-pairing blueliners like Hughes and Hronek. Lining up the defense the way I did gives us a balance and protects the smaller guys. 
Also with the way Myers is playing we can trust him with Hughes. He can make space for Hughes and be a physical shut-down playoff menace so Hughes can move his feet freely and make quick passes consistently.

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

It's been reported that Pittsburgh might have to trade Smith with retention or even for future considerations. He doesn't want to be in Pittsburgh so they don't have much negotiating power. They want to clear cap space to potentially upgrade the team for a shot at the playoffs. Smith is their best bet at some space. Even with 50% retention in my deal; they get $2,500,000 in cap space from it. And add a top NCAA blueline prospect, a top power forward prospect who's also a former NCAA stud that is now developing well in the AHL. And they get San Joses 6th this year which is essentially a 5th. This trade also re-unites McDonough with Rathbone whom many on here knew should stay together and were proposing in trades together.

7 minutes ago, NMHockey said:

It's been reported that Pittsburgh might have to trade Smith with retention or even for future considerations. He doesn't want to be in Pittsburgh so they don't have much negotiating power. They want to clear cap space to potentially upgrade the team for a shot at the playoffs. Smith is their best bet at some space. Even with 50% retention in my deal; they get $2,500,000 in cap space from it. And add a top NCAA blueline prospect, a top power forward prospect who's also a former NCAA stud that is now developing well in the AHL. And they get San Joses 6th this year which is essentially a 5th. This trade also re-unites McDonough with Rathbone whom many on here knew should stay together and were proposing in trades together.

You also have to keep in mind that Pittsburgh's GM a complete idiot who isn't qualified to work in hockey ops at all.  It's a bad trade for them, but Dubas is stupid enough to do it.

• Haha 1

Not really interested in bringing Tanev back.  Also, if Pittsburgh still wants to win in this current era I wonder if we could offer Mikheyev plus Truscott or another depth forward prospect for Reilly Smith, who hasn't really panned out there but maybe we could convince them into accepting a "change of scenery" trade.  They save cap, get some futures and also a serviceable forward who's still probably good enough to be top-6 but who just hasn't panned out here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Not really interested in bringing Tanev back.  Also, if Pittsburgh still wants to win in this current era I wonder if we could offer Mikheyev plus Truscott or another depth forward prospect for Reilly Smith, who hasn't really panned out there but maybe we could convince them into accepting a "change of scenery" trade.  They save cap, get some futures and also a serviceable forward who's still probably good enough to be top-6 but who just hasn't panned out here.

Truscott is testing free agency. He has close to zero trade value. 

1 hour ago, qwijjibo said:

Truscott is testing free agency. He has close to zero trade value. 

That's incorrect. NCAA prospects rights are held by NHL teams until August of the year the rights expire. A team being traded the rights of an NCAA player and thus having upwards of 5-6 months of time to scout the player, speak with the player, negotiate with the player and his agents and/or parents??? And have the ability to do all that before the 30 other teams??? That has way more value than you think. Trades like that happen fairly often. Anaheim drafted defenseman Henry Thrun in the 4th Round in 2019 and Thrun refused to sign there four years later in 2023. Anaheim shortly after was still able to trade his rights to San Jose for a 3rd Round Pick (and San Jose wasn't even fully confident they could sign him yet. They just liked the player enough to see the trade as a worthy chance). The same situation is very possible with Truscott here. He was drafted in the 5th Round by Vancouver in 2020 and four years later in 2024 he is refusing to sign. Much like Thrun, Truscott is also the captain of his NCAA team with good leadership skills and a similar style game. So what's stopping Vancouver from getting a 4th Round Pick for Truscotts rights? 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

You also have to keep in mind that Pittsburgh's GM a complete idiot who isn't qualified to work in hockey ops at all.  It's a bad trade for them, but Dubas is stupid enough to do it.

It's not a bad trade. Look at it this way because this is what the situation is...

Last year, then Pittsburgh GM Ron Hextall traded Teddy Blueger to Vegas. In exchange; Pittsburgh received Vegas former prospect defenseman Peter Diliberatore and Vegas' own 2024 3rd Round Pick. Diliberatore never re-signed and isn't panning out as an NHL player.

Blueger left Vegas in free agency for Vancouver. Pittsburgh fired Hextall and brought in Dubas in his place. Dubas gave Vegas back their own 2024 3rd Round Pick in exchange for Reilly Smith. Now in the present; Pittsburgh has three main problems.

1. They want to still compete with the Crosby-Malkin-Letang core and make this years playoffs. 

2. They need cap space (even with Guentzel and Nieto on LTIR currently).

3. Smith has not liked being in Pittsburgh and wants out.

So all in all Pittsburgh trading Smith to Vancouver (in my deal format) after Blueger signed there as well. That is essentially..

Blueger for McDonough

(A player who was injury-prone and nothing more than a 4th Liner in Pittsburgh for a top power forward prospect who re-unites with his best friend in another prospect Pittsburgh acquired from Vancouver this season in Jack Rathbone).

Smith for Truscott

(A player who doesn't want to be in Pittsburgh anyways, is eating needed cap space, and essentially only costed them Blueger. That for the rights to a top

NCAA prospect-defenseman captain who will almost 100% sign there (because of Pittsburgh having the attraction factor of Crosby and a history of Stanley Cups and organizational pedigree).

$2,500,000 retention for SJS 2024 6th

As I mentioned, the team needs any cap space they can get NOW. Getting another draft pick at all out of this situation is a bonus. It's essentially a 5th and because it's San Joses it's essentially added return from the Erik Karlsson trade. And the cap space they get here is from a player who wants out anyways so they likely have to trade Smith with retention no matter what return-value they get. And as I also already mentioned; it's been reported that Smith will have to be traded with retention or even just dumped for future considerations.

All in all, this scenario gives Kyle Dubas the needed extra cap space to upgrade for another playoff chance with the "Crosby core". And from an organizational standpoint; Pittsburgh turns a former 2nd Round Pick (who was leaving as a UFA anyways) in Blueger into two decent prospects and a 5th/6th Round Pick.

Edited by NMHockey
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NMHockey said:

That's incorrect. NCAA prospects rights are held by NHL teams until August of the year the rights expire. A team being traded the rights of an NCAA player and thus having upwards of 5-6 months of time to scout the player, speak with the player, negotiate with the player and his agents and/or parents??? And have the ability to do all that before the 30 other teams??? That has way more value than you think. Trades like that happen fairly often. Anaheim drafted defenseman Henry Thrun in the 4th Round in 2019 and Thrun refused to sign there four years later in 2023. Anaheim shortly after was still able to trade his rights to San Jose for a 3rd Round Pick (and San Jose wasn't even fully confident they could sign him yet. They just liked the player enough to see the trade as a worthy chance). The same situation is very possible with Truscott here. He was drafted in the 5th Round by Vancouver in 2020 and four years later in 2024 he is refusing to sign. Much like Thrun, Truscott is also the captain of his NCAA team with good leadership skills and a similar style game. So what's stopping Vancouver from getting a 4th Round Pick for Truscotts rights? 

lol you have no idea what you are talking about.. the rights to NCAA prospect expires 30 days after they leave college

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol you have no idea what you are talking about.. the rights to NCAA prospect expires 30 days after they leave college

There's a couple moving parts with this sort of thing and that's what I was mentioning to another user on here and mentioned Anaheim getting a 3rd for

Henry Thruns rights last year (even after he had fully refused to sign with Anaheim).

You've come at me and my posts multiple times in the last year and always wound up looking like a fool. I actually do know what I'm talking about and don't need your sarcastic replies all the time. I work in the industry and have been connected with professional hockey representatives my entire life. Thanks.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, NMHockey said:

There's a couple moving parts with this sort of thing and that's what I was mentioning to another user on here and mentioned Anaheim getting a 3rd for

Henry Thruns rights last year (even after he had fully refused to sign with Anaheim).

You've come at me and my posts multiple times in the last year and always wound up looking like a fool. I actually do know what I'm talking about and don't need your sarcastic replies all the time. I work in the industry and have been connected with professional hockey representatives my entire life. Thanks.

damn some joe blow on a forum is claiming legitimacy by claiming they work in the industry and connected with professional hockey reps their entire life.. then you must know there's 2 types of NCAA rights?? either their right expires in 4 years from draft.. orrrrrrr they expire 30 days after they graduate hence i said leave college.. and funny you are full of bs i come at your and ur post multiple time last year.. when i looked up ur 45 post and i haven't even replied to a single one outside of this one lmao.. if you are so well connected perhaps you should be an insider instead of making these ridiculous trade proposal and assumptions joshua and soucy will be LTIR till playoff

Here is an interesting article. Seems like both 30 days and August 15 come into play depending on circumstances. Anyway, nice to see some thought put into a proposal for discussion. People will come down on all sides regardless of what GM's will actually do Go Canucks Go!

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/08/ncaa-free-agent-rules.html

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Thanks 1