[Mafia: The Game] The Mysterious Disappearance of Tupac Shakur - Game Over - Mafia Win

I will play.

Have to get off my arse and start working a bit more, so my contributions will be later in the evening/ night your time.

Might try and post a bit before I start work in the morning.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, ArtemChubarov said:

Long time CDC lurker back in the day, just found my way over. Any chance I can play with y'all?

I've got good news for you, kid: you're in!

It's always nice to have new faces.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

What type of time commitment do these games take up? I'm already in a fantasy league and try my best to avoid too much time on my phone. But I've been interested since we migrated over.

Rounds typically start off with 48-hour phases before shifting to 24-hour phases after the first or second round.  Depends on the host.

You don't need to be glued to the thread, but it's helpful to check in every few hours/maybe a few times a day to see what's been happening.  Depending on your role/alignment, it may require a bit more time to commit, but generally, just being around sporadically throughout any given day is fine.

Edited by SV.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SV. said:

Rounds typically start off with 48-hour phases before shifting to 24-hour phases after the first or second round.  Depends on the host.

You don't need to be glued to the thread, but it's helpful to check in every few hours/maybe a few times a day to see what's been happening.  Depending on your role/alignment, it may require a bit more time to commit, but generally, just being around sporadically throughout any given day is fine.

And what about missed days, like in the summer when people go camping? Just want to make sure I could really commit if I'm gonna give it a shot.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

And what about missed days, like in the summer when people go camping? Just want to make sure I could really commit if I'm gonna give it a shot.

At maximum, games are not really much longer than a week or two in length

Sign-ups are also on a game-to-game basis, so you don't necessarily have to worry about committing to a game with vacation or future commitments in mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I'll give it a shot. I'm sure I'll figure out how to play as the game starts.

Yep - people catch on pretty quick. There's a bit of lingo to the game, but if you ask someone to explain the terms they're using you'll get the hang of that pretty quickly as well.

At its basic, Mafia is a social deduction game where an uninformed majority (the town or village) takes on an informed minority (the mafia). The mafia's goal is to eliminate the town; or, their winning condition can more strictly said to be reaching vote parity with the town (having as many players alive as the town does). The town's goal is to eliminate the mafia, which they do by voting out a player in every phase/round and also sometimes (usually) by using special roles some of them are given. The mafia may also have special roles with various powers. The mafia get a kill of their own every round, too.

The mafia are trying to blend in with the town, avoid detection and champion bad votes. The town are trying to dig out the mafia any way they can and avoid voting for one of their own. It's pretty basic once you get the general gist.

As far as time commitment, right now I think I'm going to use our historical measure of activity, which is voting at least once every two rounds to avoid what's called a God/Mod kill (death by host) or a substitution. It doesn't look like this is going to be a huge game, so in terms of actual reading to do, probably there's not going to be too much.

Really happy to have you and Chubarov on board for this. I hope you enjoy the game.

• Like 2
  • chaos 1

1 hour ago, 112 said:

Yep - people catch on pretty quick. There's a bit of lingo to the game, but if you ask someone to explain the terms they're using you'll get the hang of that pretty quickly as well.

At its basic, Mafia is a social deduction game where an uninformed majority (the town or village) takes on an informed minority (the mafia). The mafia's goal is to eliminate the town; or, their winning condition can more strictly said to be reaching vote parity with the town (having as many players alive as the town does). The town's goal is to eliminate the mafia, which they do by voting out a player in every phase/round and also sometimes (usually) by using special roles some of them are given. The mafia may also have special roles with various powers. The mafia get a kill of their own every round, too.

The mafia are trying to blend in with the town, avoid detection and champion bad votes. The town are trying to dig out the mafia any way they can and avoid voting for one of their own. It's pretty basic once you get the general gist.

As far as time commitment, right now I think I'm going to use our historical measure of activity, which is voting at least once every two rounds to avoid what's called a God/Mod kill (death by host) or a substitution. It doesn't look like this is going to be a huge game, so in terms of actual reading to do, probably there's not going to be too much.

Really happy to have you and Chubarov on board for this. I hope you enjoy the game.

I think I've actually played something similar to this before. It was a party game called like ultimate werewolf or something along the lines. I'm sure ill figure it out. Been seeing y'all play this for year, since the early white noise days back in the mid 2000s, so I'm excited to finally give it a shot.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1