If Petey forced our hand options (Proposal/Discussion)

So I for one think Petey will eventually resign. But, i cant say Petey is in Matthew's, Mackinnon, McDavid tier for salary. So If his Salary demands are any higher than 11, I think it may be best to Start weighing our options. Fantastic player, but has he been our MVP this year? I'd say that's reserved for Hughes, Miller and Demko. 

Here we go. 

I mean there should be no shortage of teams interested. We would most likely get an absolute haul for him. 

Anaheim

L.Carlsson
Luneau 
1st 2025
2nd 2024

Columbus 

Fantilli 
Mateychuk 
2025 1st 

Hawks (if they get number 1)

Celebrini
Vlasic
1st Leafs 2025

I also think Sens could be bound for some sort of bold culture move. I think Tkachuk would be a possibility (close friends with Quinn). 

All of these moves may even make us better. While allowing us to allocate the cap properly. 

Thoughts? 

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

first thought is those valuations don't make sense for any of the trade partners. 

Any team trading for Pettersson will need to overpay as fook. Not many times in a decade you see a 100 point 25 year old center going on the trade market. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BabcocksChin said:

Teams desperate to compete? Get a star that's put up back to back 100 point seasons. They would have to give up something, no?

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Any team trading for Pettersson will need to overpay as fook. Not many times in a decade you see a 100 point 25 year old center going on the trade market. 

yes, but 1st oa, and another 1st? 

Teams also likely won't have the option to negotiate with Petey prior to a deal, similar to the Hornet situation. 

If Petey forced our hand options.

39 minutes ago, BabcocksChin said:

So I for one think Petey will eventually resign. But, i cant say Petey is in Matthew's, Mackinnon, McDavid tier for salary. So If his Salary demands are any higher than 11, I think it may be best to Start weighing our options. Fantastic player, but has he been our MVP this year? I'd say that's reserved for Hughes, Miller and Demko. 

Here we go. 

I mean there should be no shortage of teams interested. We would most likely get an absolute haul for him. 

Anaheim

L.Carlsson
Luneau 
1st 2025
2nd 2024

Columbus 

Fantilli 
Mateychuk 
2025 1st 

Hawks (if they get number 1)

Celebrini
Vlasic
1st Leafs 2025

I also think Sens could be bound for some sort of bold culture move. I think Tkachuk would be a possibility (close friends with Quinn). 

All of these moves may even make us better. While allowing us to allocate the cap properly. 

Thoughts? 

I don't think EP would sign with a rebuilding team; especially if they agreed to trade a young core

player, a top prospect and a 1st rounder to Vancouver in return.  PT wants to join a contender

before he turns 30yrs old.

7 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

he is an RFA: we don't have to even think about this for another 370 days, minimum, and there will likely be a long term deal in place before that time. 

Exactly.

I am confident this management group will make the right move in regards to Pettersson's future.

PA/JR have not shied away from making difficult decisions and being creative where they needed to be as well as being disciplined with contracts.

As a fan I find Matthew Tkachuk as an extremely close comparable to Pettersson ( age, production, and role ). He banked a long term 9.5m per contract with Florida. If anyone knows the tax implications to that number meaning 9.5m in Florida could be what in Vancouver? 

Aside from the cap rising, Vancouver needing to buy UFA years ( which was all the same in Tkachuk's case when he signed long term ) I find Pettersson's number really shouldn't be in the 12m + range. It doesn't really jive with this team's salary structure or where he is at. I feel this suggested 12m+ number is manufactured.

Presuming we re-sign Lindholm and Hronek with the vacated cap space earmarked for him, IMO the return we trade for should have 2 of the 3: young, premier power forward, young two-way C with upside and a young top-4 caliber D.

Someone else suggested B. Tkachuk + Pinto which I'd do, but if they wanted to swap out Pinto for Chychrun I'd do that too.  Of course, something like Fantilli + either Voronkov/ Jiricek (if he still wants out of Columbus) and Sillinger would be strongly considered too.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

But why does a team at the bottom of the league that's in a rebuild give up a huge part of thier futures for a guy who doesn't fit the rebuild age wise and could walk away in a year? 

For me, the only player coming back that would take the sting away would be Brady Tkachuk. Captain Hughes would probably be happy bringing in his friend. Miller and Joshua might be happy not having to provide all of the brute force up front.

That being said, I highly doubt Pettersson gets traded. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, qwijjibo said:

But why does a team at the bottom of the league that's in a rebuild give up a huge part of thier futures for a guy who doesn't fit the rebuild age wise and could walk away in a year? 

Why does a team like Columbus give Gaudreau nearly 10 million per season?