Anyone done thier Income Tax yet?

7 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

So I can never get it straight.  I'm self-employed and if I have to pay tax this year, do I have to have my tax return (and tax payment) in by the end of March or the end of April?

My favorite!

Weird rule. Your tax return is due June 15th. Any outstanding tax liability is due April 30th. Remember, as a self employed individual you pay both the employee and employer's portion of CPP and EI (in some cases).

How do you know if you have a tax balance by April 30th if you file June 15th?

You need to do an estimate, or do both by April 30th!

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, chris12345 said:

My favorite!

Weird rule. Your tax return is due June 15th. Any outstanding tax liability is due April 30th. Remember, as a self employed individual you pay both the employee and employer's portion of CPP and EI (in some cases).

How do you know if you have a tax balance by April 30th if you file June 15th?

You need to do an estimate, or do both by April 30th!

Thank you.  I think that explains why I can never keep it straight in my mind!🙂

The CRA is saying my parents claimed $34,000 in medical expenses in 2021 and that they owe $16,000, lol. No idea what happened there. I'd say "one can't draw blood from a stone" but the CRA can garnish pensions, apparently. I hope it's a simple error to fix.

Edited by 112

On 3/6/2024 at 12:04 AM, CaptainCanuck12 said:

So I can never get it straight.  I'm self-employed and if I have to pay tax this year, do I have to have my tax return (and tax payment) in by the end of March or the end of April?

Since you’re self employed your filing deadline is June 15th. You’re likely required to make quarterly tax instalments. If you haven’t done that you should get caught up as there’s interest deficient instalments. 

33 minutes ago, 112 said:

The CRA is saying my parents claimed $34,000 in medical expenses in 2021 and that they owe $16,000, lol. No idea what happened there. I'd say "one can't draw blood from a stone" but the CRA can garnish pensions, apparently. I hope it's a simple error to fix.

File an Notice of Objection and submit the receipts to prove their claim was legitimate. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 112 said:

Has to be an error 1st look at it.

Did you look at their tax return?

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

Yeah, they can, maybe with yiur help, log into their CRA account with the code from their last N.O.A. and online banking login as a third party authorizing agent. From there you can snag PDFs of their last ten years taxes..might be a CRA error, or maybe a senior moment and the folks misplaced a decimal. Maybe they legit owe the money. But at least verify the details are right before making a payment plan.

Hehe, my mother in law would make up a number that brought her bill to zero and if caught would claim being a confused 73 year old. She has been like this since the early 90s. So there is an outside chance it was a wink wink accident. LOL

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

CRA usually sends a letter to the taxpayer to ask for invoices to prove medical expenses. If the letter is not answered in 90 days, they disallow the claim. Lots of people are out of town or are too busy to answer the letter and this is the result.

$34,000 is a large claim, so I’m guessing that a big chunk of it is for Care Home expenses. 

Edited by PistolPete13

3 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

File an Notice of Objection and submit the receipts to prove their claim was legitimate. 

2 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

6 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Yeah, they can, maybe with yiur help, log into their CRA account with the code from their last N.O.A. and online banking login as a third party authorizing agent. From there you can snag PDFs of their last ten years taxes..might be a CRA error, or maybe a senior moment and the folks misplaced a decimal. Maybe they legit owe the money. But at least verify the details are right before making a payment plan.

Thanks for the responses. They're currently locked out of my Dad's CRA account and sent in an authorization form to get back in, which should take ~5 business days. I haven't seen the return myself. It's definitely possible that they made an error, and I'm sure they didn't have $16,000 floating into their bank account. I'm guessing they'll be able to sort it all out once they're back into the CRA account, but it's a little bit concerning still.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

CRA usually sends a letter to the taxpayer to ask for invoices to prove medical expenses. If the letter is answ in 90 days, they disallow the claim. Lots of people are out of town or too busy to answer the letter and this is the result.

$34,000 is a large claim, so I’m guessing that a big chunk of it is for Care Home expenses. 

We claimed almost $30.000 one year because of dental work with no problems.

2 minutes ago, 112 said:

Thanks for the responses. They're currently locked out of my Dad's CRA account and sent in an authorization form to get back in, which should take ~5 business days. I haven't seen the return myself. It's definitely possible that they made an error, and I'm sure they didn't have $16,000 floating into their bank account. I'm guessing they'll be able to sort it all out once they're back into the CRA account, but it's a little bit concerning still.

I am also locked out of mine because I am getting an error I am using a book mark to log in thru my bank account.

2 hours ago, 112 said:

I hope so. CRA can be re difficult to deal with at times. Locking accounts is one of their latest games. Good luck.

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I am also locked out of mine because I am getting an error I am using a book mark to log in thru my bank account.

have you tried logging in using the BC Services Card app? I was locked out via the account log in, but going through that worked for me somehow. 

19 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

We didn't buy many RRSP's this year as we put in new windows,flooring and air conditioning....but my wife should get back $2100 or so.

Which isn't  much considering she paid $35,000 in taxes.

And I am collecting CPP and OAS now so I pay no taxes.

did you try for the BC grant on the windows? i think it is a hundred bucks per: which adds up. ten windows is a thousand bucks. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

did you try for the BC grant on the windows? i think it is a hundred bucks per: which adds up. ten windows is a thousand bucks. 

We actually had a cooling coil installed on the gas furnace.   So there is a dual thermostat that we can switch for heat in the winter and air conditioning using hydro in the summer.  There weren't rebates available for that but it was a lot cheaper.   Came to just over $10,000 I think......but worth every penny.  Got a good deal on my windows from Ken Brownlow and Son's contracting.  He ordered the windows at his reduced price and I paid for them.  Just charged me for the labor. It was still super expensive though.

• Thanks 1