Casey DeSmith | #29 | G

-AJ-

4 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

DeSmith is De-Man!

2 starts, 2 wins

Casey DeSmith was fantastic tonight, especially in the third period. Tocchet spoke earlier today about the team needing to trust their backup goalie, and so far, there’s been no reason for the Canucks not to trust DeSmith to man their crease.

DeSmith stopped 34-of-36 shots in a 5-3 win over Florida on Saturday.

DeSmith has been a great addition to the Orca lineup. He's won both of his starts and is 2-0 with a 2.73 GAA and .938 save percentage.

How does that save percentage in last night's game make any sense? He let in three goals, not two. NHL.com has it as 34 for 36, but it must be 33 for 36. Still a good .917 percentage.

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

They don't count the goal that was stickhandled into the net, as a shot?

I've never heard of a goal against with a goalie in the net not counting as a shot.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I've never heard of a goal against with a goalie in the net not counting as a shot.

Me either.

Well, I guess I go back to being strictly an 'eye test' guy and no more trusting stats.

Too advanced, number mumbo jumbo anyhow. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

DeSmith's been struggling lately, but his last game was nice to see. Hopefully he can hold down the fort reasonably well for the 10 or so games Demko is out. I expect Silovs or Tolopilo to get at least one game.

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. It’s not even close. 

Yeah.  We don't need Desmith next year.  Let's save that cap and use Silovs and Tolopilo.  

We have Sawchanko and can add Ty Young next year so we can handle injuries too. 

Edited by kettlevalley
Spelling error
  • Like 1

Desmith showing why he's still a backup, unfortunately. Demko will completely change this team when he returns.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Posted this in the PGT but I think it should be here too.

I'm so tired of the hatred towards DeSmith.

We had a lot of discussions with Penguins fans on Twitter/HF about what to expect from this guy, and they all said the exact same thing: (paraphrasing) Casey is built to be a backup, and will be one of the best in the league. He will get you points more often than not and thrive in a role where he sees <30 games in a season. However, he struggles when he's asked to take on a greater workload. 

What happened this year? First half+ of the season he's arguably a top 3 backup in the league behind a Vezina caliber goaltender. He would give us a chance to win each time he played, was a key part of one of the best tandems in the NHL with Hellebuyck/Brossoit and Sorokin/Varlamov. He gets us points more often than not and had a positive GSAx. He even got a shutout in December against Minnesota, on a night where we didn't play our best game. Now Demko gets hurt, and he starts to see the lions share of the workload. Lo and behold, we're seeing him start to struggle just like every other time in his career this has happened. 

The guy makes just 1.8 million against the cap, has been a backup his entire career, and you're expecting him to hold down the fort while a future Vezina finalist is injured? Even when we knew this could happen going into the season? Prior to this injury, his only bad outing was the Minnesota game where not a single player showed up! I don't know, it may be because I'm a goalie guy myself, but this bothers me to no end. He's done everything he's been asked to do this season and now he's being tasked with too much. How is that his fault, and why are we crucifying him over this? At the tail end of what's been an incredible season for him and this club? 

He's not playing great right now, no doubt, but I'm incredibly satisfied with DeSmith's quality of work this season and would really appreciate if others would stand up for him too. We're showing some awful parts of this fanbase saying he can "get off the team" or "go f*** himself." That's truly unfair to him and completely unwarranted imo.

Be better.

Not sure where you are getting that language.   But he is being outperformed by a young goaltender and developing that young goaltender needs to be our priority.  And saving the difference in the cap would also help the team.  

The big picture is the point.  Not hating on Desmith.  And not being more loyal to the Penguins of the past then the Canucks of the future.  

9 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

But he is being outperformed by a young goaltender

The younger guy is playing less games, and I'd venture that the opponents that they played against, are different in levels.

imo Silovs would also be struggling if he was getting all the starts Casey has gotten, recently.

Takes time for young guys to grow to #1 status, and most back up goalies ( DE Smith, Spencer Martin ) struggle with too much ice time.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Gurn said:

The younger guy is playing less games, and I'd venture that the opponents that they played against, are different in levels.

imo Silovs would also be struggling if he was getting all the starts Casey has gotten, recently.

Takes time for young guys to grow to #1 status, and most back up goalies ( DE Smith, Spencer Martin ) struggle with too much ice time.

Did you follow Silovs and last years WC?  That was not how he reacted to more playing time.  

50 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

Did you follow Silovs and last years WC?  That was not how he reacted to more playing time.  

Yep- Gives a lot of hope for the future, but that was a short tourney.

I'd like to have seen Demko's missed games evenly split between Casey and Silovs. 

I'd also have liked to have seen Demko get more games off, this season to begin with.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Posted this in the PGT but I think it should be here too.

I'm so tired of the hatred towards DeSmith.

We had a lot of discussions with Penguins fans on Twitter/HF about what to expect from this guy, and they all said the exact same thing: (paraphrasing) Casey is built to be a backup, and will be one of the best in the league. He will get you points more often than not and thrive in a role where he sees <30 games in a season. However, he struggles when he's asked to take on a greater workload. 

What happened this year? First half+ of the season he's arguably a top 3 backup in the league behind a Vezina caliber goaltender. He would give us a chance to win each time he played, was a key part of one of the best tandems in the NHL with Hellebuyck/Brossoit and Sorokin/Varlamov. He gets us points more often than not and had a positive GSAx. He even got a shutout in December against Minnesota, on a night where we didn't play our best game. Now Demko gets hurt, and he starts to see the lions share of the workload. Lo and behold, we're seeing him start to struggle just like every other time in his career this has happened. 

The guy makes just 1.8 million against the cap, has been a backup his entire career, and you're expecting him to hold down the fort while a future Vezina finalist is injured? Even when we knew this could happen going into the season? Prior to this injury, his only bad outing was the Minnesota game where not a single player showed up! I don't know, it may be because I'm a goalie guy myself, but this bothers me to no end. He's done everything he's been asked to do this season and now he's being tasked with too much. How is that his fault, and why are we crucifying him over this? At the tail end of what's been an incredible season for him and this club? 

He's not playing great right now, no doubt, but I'm incredibly satisfied with DeSmith's quality of work this season and would really appreciate if others would stand up for him too. We're showing some awful parts of this fanbase saying he can "get off the team" or "go f*** himself." That's truly unfair to him and completely unwarranted imo.

Be better.

Totally agree that comments telling him to leave the team etc are terrible. Always back your team, even when they're not playing well.

I think it's just an issue of some fans not having realistic expectations of a backup. Yes, it would've been great if DeSmith could be a .910 backup, but most backups, especially when called upon to temporarily play starter roles, will falter.

He's doing his best, and unfortunately, that's not enough for us to win a lot of games, but I look forward to Demko's return. DeSmith as a backup playing occasional games is fine.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kettlevalley said:

Silovs isn't playing badly, but not exactly a world-beater in Abby as the starter. Silovs was crazy good for a short stint during a tournament. That's very different than playing as a starter for an extended period of time.

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Silovs isn't playing badly, but not exactly a world-beater in Abby as the starter. Silovs was crazy good for a short stint during a tournament. That's very different than playing as a starter for an extended period of time.

Silovs has showed well in the NHL going back to his games last year. You'd have to think we see him in net tomorrow. DeSmith has fulfilled his role this year as the back up. Tocchet has just under utilized Silovs while Demko has been hurt.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Silovs has showed well in the NHL going back to his games last year. You'd have to think we see him in net tomorrow. DeSmith has fulfilled his role this year as the back up. Tocchet has just under utilized Silovs while Demko has been hurt.

Agreed, he's weirdly looked as good in the NHL as in the AHL, though of course that's only been spot duty with a few games. Good to see at least though.

• Cheers 1

I just dont feel this team can pay everyone and still have a 1.8m or more back up that limits our ability to spend elsewhere and limits our ability to develop Silovs, Tolopilo and soon Ty Young. 

Desmith is not the kind of back up that we need.  We need someone who competes with Demko for starts.