Is there one #$@#@$%& Vancouver sports bar that actually shows Hockey Night in Canada anymore?

Every f'n Saturday its FIGHT NIGHT!  Where all the screens are full bore WWE, UFC, or whatever they call themselves. I'm not criticizing the sport or those who like it, but for f's sake, we live in Canada. All I ask for is more of a balance. I remember a time not too long ago where any pub in the lower mainland would be obviously showing HNIC....with the sound on loud. And especially if the Canucks were playing that night.

Or its Karaoke or Trivia night etc.

I've been on the phone for half an hour phoning pubs to find out if they are showing fight night or not.  Even if they say they will show hockey on some small screen in the corner most likely, the sound is only on for the WWE.  Me an and a buddy want to meet up to watch Canucks hockey, not a couple of dumb fks pounding each other. I know some like that but to me its boring as fk after 10 minutes.  At least compared to a good old hockey game. Only found one pub exclusively showing the hockey game, with sound. And its a bit of a drive to New West so not the best idea.  There are a few restaurants like the Fogg n Suds but its not the best atmosphere. Boston Pizza used to be a decent spot to watch, but even they are now fully committed to WWE on Saturdays.

So, does anyone know of a sports pub with TV screens in the Vancouver area that doesn't sponsor fight night and will actually show hockey night in Canada on a Saturday night?

• Upvote 1

UFC is taking an increasing large share of the SN main page too, I've noticed.  Sign of the times I guess.  I teach in Alt Ed (High school), if they are a fan of the sport, it's MMA.  Barely any hockey fans.

• Vintage 1

I actually just got back home from browns social house in Surrey. They had the leafs game on. Not sure if the Canucks game will be. I was not overly impressed with their menu prices though. $10 for a bottle of Stella? Yeah, I'm just gonna have the one and skip the food.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The best part was where we kept getting bombarded with UFC ads with all the specific athletes on tonight's card.  Take a hint.  I'm watching my Canucks.  If I wanted to watch UFC... I'd be watching that instead of commercials for the UFC?  "Hey don't watch this hockey game go watch something else!"  It was bizarre.

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Legends in Richmond.

My highschool friend owns it....they're sports crazy in there.

https://legendspub.com/

I like that place.  Unfortunately they've also succumbed to the Saturday night mma bookings.

https://www.facebook.com/legendspubrichmond/posts/pfbid0267AmZYssvmaiSCRGUwefBZ9qeXbFwi1YpKBQhvcWSYbNuiQ8WVDjRSXMAb9VMWB1l

Wound up at a Fogg n Suds.  It is what it is. Anywhere is great watching the Canucks shell the Jets 5-0!

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, kilgore said:

Every f'n Saturday its FIGHT NIGHT!  Where all the screens are full bore WWE, UFC, or whatever they call themselves. I'm not criticizing the sport or those who like it, but for f's sake, we live in Canada. All I ask for is more of a balance. I remember a time not too long ago where any pub in the lower mainland would be obviously showing HNIC....with the sound on loud. And especially if the Canucks were playing that night.

Or its Karaoke or Trivia night etc.

I've been on the phone for half an hour phoning pubs to find out if they are showing fight night or not.  Even if they say they will show hockey on some small screen in the corner most likely, the sound is only on for the WWE.  Me an and a buddy want to meet up to watch Canucks hockey, not a couple of dumb fks pounding each other. I know some like that but to me its boring as fk after 10 minutes.  At least compared to a good old hockey game. Only found one pub exclusively showing the hockey game, with sound. And its a bit of a drive to New West so not the best idea.  There are a few restaurants like the Fogg n Suds but its not the best atmosphere. Boston Pizza used to be a decent spot to watch, but even they are now fully committed to WWE on Saturdays.

So, does anyone know of a sports pub with TV screens in the Vancouver area that doesn't sponsor fight night and will actually show hockey night in Canada on a Saturday night?

Which part of town?  

Downtown Vancouver?  East Van?  Burnaby?  

I've done about 60 games worth of research by going to bars and pubs after work to watch the games over the last couple of years haha  

19 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

White Spot if you're sitting in the bar section or maybe the Number 5 Orange 

My attention would be elsewhere at the Number 5 Orange.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Which part of town?  

Downtown Vancouver?  East Van?  Burnaby?  

I've done about 60 games worth of research by going to bars and pubs after work to watch the games over the last couple of years haha  

I usually meet up with a friend from New West. I'm in west side Van. So downtown choices, like the Shark Club wouldn't be ideal. We want to meet somewhere in between preferably.  But at this point, almost anywhere would be good in the general area between. 

I just thought...don't these bars have to pay for the rights to show fight night? And then make their money back + profit on the night?  So there must be smaller bars that can't afford to host Saturday fight night, or just don't want to. Are there though?

Fogg n Suds in Richmond was okay. Found a table looking at a medium large screen.  But no sound.  Just canned music. I asked the staff if they could put up the sound just slightly even.  No.  Company policy. Later, in the third, the only few tables and bar stool patrons were all watching the game.  I asked again about the sound to manager pointing out that everyone there was watching the game. Nope.  They used a made up excuse that they technically can't do it. lol  Sure. I'd like to find a place that also plays the sound.

Maybe I'm just too much of an old fuddy duddy now.  I have to accept those days are gone when any bar in Van or Burnaby or Richmond would always show a Canucks game if its on HNIC on a Saturday night.  The whole bar cheering loudly at goals or fights etc. And there might be one or two screens in the corner showing mma fighting.  How did they take over the screens from our National Sport (all due respect to lacrosse)?  Was it during the Benning suckass years? When no one wanted to watch the disaster on ice?  I don't get it.  We've lost a long standing cultural tradition in this part of Canada. Too bad.

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

I usually meet up with a friend from New West. I'm in west side Van. So downtown choices, like the Shark Club wouldn't be ideal. We want to meet somewhere in between preferably.  But at this point, almost anywhere would be good in the general area between. 

I just thought...don't these bars have to pay for the rights to show fight night? And then make their money back + profit on the night?  So there must be smaller bars that can't afford to host Saturday fight night, or just don't want to. Are there though?

Fogg n Suds in Richmond was okay. Found a table looking at a medium large screen.  But no sound.  Just canned music. I asked the staff if they could put up the sound just slightly even.  No.  Company policy. Later, in the third, the only few tables and bar stool patrons were all watching the game.  I asked again about the sound to manager pointing out that everyone there was watching the game. Nope.  They used a made up excuse that they technically can't do it. lol  Sure. I'd like to find a place that also plays the sound.

Maybe I'm just too much of an old fuddy duddy now.  I have to accept those days are gone when any bar in Van or Burnaby or Richmond would always show a Canucks game if its on HNIC on a Saturday night.  The whole bar cheering loudly at goals or fights etc. And there might be one or two screens in the corner showing mma fighting.  How did they take over the screens from our National Sport (all due respect to lacrosse)?  Was it during the Benning suckass years? When no one wanted to watch the disaster on ice?  I don't get it.  We've lost a long standing cultural tradition in this part of Canada. Too bad.

I'm with you 100%, you're not an old fuddy duddy...  Vancouver has always been a hockey town but the last 10 years shifted interest elsewhere.  

It's been super annoying to go to a bar and listen to some shitty music that you can barely hear and have NFL on every TV while a Canucks game is on.  

Lougheed Village pub has been my go to lately.  The only exception is Tuesday games as they have trivia going on that starts at 7.  Otherwise they have the game on everywhere with sound on and really good game day deals (tough to beat 5$ tallies of PBR and 6$ tallies of Saporo). 

Devil's Elbow downtown is very good with sound and the game, but that's downtown.  

The Admiral on Hastings always has the game on but is hit and miss for the sound. 

Biercraft at SFU will play the game with sound if you ask. 

The best place in the middle to check out might be East Side Craft House on 41st and Knight.  I've been there for breakfast before (pretty good kitchen) and they had Blue Jays games on with sound.  

I also haven't ever tried going to The Great Bear Pub on Kingsway which would be halfway between you and your buddy.  

Anyways let me know what else you find.  

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

I'm with you 100%, you're not an old fuddy duddy...  Vancouver has always been a hockey town but the last 10 years shifted interest elsewhere.  

It's been super annoying to go to a bar and listen to some shitty music that you can barely hear and have NFL on every TV while a Canucks game is on.  

Lougheed Village pub has been my go to lately.  The only exception is Tuesday games as they have trivia going on that starts at 7.  Otherwise they have the game on everywhere with sound on and really good game day deals (tough to beat 5$ tallies of PBR and 6$ tallies of Saporo). 

Devil's Elbow downtown is very good with sound and the game, but that's downtown.  

The Admiral on Hastings always has the game on but is hit and miss for the sound. 

Biercraft at SFU will play the game with sound if you ask. 

The best place in the middle to check out might be East Side Craft House on 41st and Knight.  I've been there for breakfast before (pretty good kitchen) and they had Blue Jays games on with sound.  

I also haven't ever tried going to The Great Bear Pub on Kingsway which would be halfway between you and your buddy.  

Anyways let me know what else you find.  

Yeah, the Great Bear used to be a great spot to watch HNIC.  But alas they too have fallen into the void.  I phoned them before the game.

I've seen that East Side Craft House on searches.  Looked a little expensive, but maybe we'll give it a shot. Thanks

45 minutes ago, Petey the Puck Whisperer said:

Are you suggesting that sports bars should play other cities games simply because they are on hockey night in Canada? Ever since Don was bad touched by Ron and the liberals HNIC is a fucking joke. Im glad they don't show it because we should be showing them we don't want to watch.

Well in the olden days of yore, before WWF even, I think pubs would play HNIC no matter who was playing. (other than when playoffs of other sports were happening)  I'm not asking for that. Because I wouldn't go out to a bar just to watch two rival teams.  But we live in Vancouver, one of the supposedly hottest hockey markets. If the Canucks are on HNIC on a Saturday night, yes they should prioritize Canucks hockey.

I'm very curious to find out if some pubs will still insist on showing yankee dumb fucks duke it out, because of some contract agreement, or Canucks playoff hockey games? 

I have no idea what you were getting at after your first sentence though. Ron "bad touched" Don?  This I have to know more about. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, kilgore said:

I like that place.  Unfortunately they've also succumbed to the Saturday night mma bookings.

https://www.facebook.com/legendspubrichmond/posts/pfbid0267AmZYssvmaiSCRGUwefBZ9qeXbFwi1YpKBQhvcWSYbNuiQ8WVDjRSXMAb9VMWB1l

Wound up at a Fogg n Suds.  It is what it is. Anywhere is great watching the Canucks shell the Jets 5-0!

Loved the Fogg and Suds when it was in Victoria years ago.  Sadly gone but I still have my beer passport.  Met Ryan Walter there...great guy.  He became almost like a big brother to my nephew before he passed of Leukemia at 14.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Petey the Puck Whisperer said:

Are you suggesting that sports bars should play other cities games simply because they are on hockey night in Canada? Ever since Don was bad touched by Ron and the liberals HNIC is a fucking joke. Im glad they don't show it because we should be showing them we don't want to watch.

Cherry is a senile racist old man.  Glad he is gone.  He used to be entertaining.  He is probably a Trump supporter .