[Poll] Should I continue trying to engage the Canucks

VegasCanuck

Should I continue to try and engage and involve the Canucks in the future of this board, no matter where it resides.  

97 members have voted

1. 1. To continue or not to continue, that is the question

• Yes, keep pushing them to engage with this fan group to provide access and resources
    • No, let it go
    • No, let it go, but please make sure they understand that this is THEIR lost opportunity

I posted a similar Poll on the old board to get some feedback and opinion on how hard to push moving forward.

As many of you know, I've been communicating with a couple of people on the Canucks Business side after an email I sent them Saturday night. I've been exchanging emails with the President of Canuck Business Operations (Roughly same level as Rutherford but on the business side) and their Chief Revenue Officer who I had a call with on Monday afternoon.

So, the question that I'm asking here, not only of the fans as a whole, but of the Administrator, @Ribs as well as the board moderators is, should I keep chasing this for some level of access and involvement?

I view the fact that this had to be created as a landing spot for disenfranchised Canuck Fans as a slap to the fan base in the Official Forum and a big show of disrespect to the whole Moderator and board management team who have done an awesome job on forum.canucks.com and and incredible job pulling this board together on a new domain in a really short period of time.

Funding this board, although right now, everyone is worked up and will happily donate, but chasing donation funding often gets harder with time. The domain name that this is built on doesn't really matter, but the overall funding of this board and growing it again would likely be easier if Canucks organization actually engaged in some way with the board and the teams fans. If that can be achieved, then I don't see any reason why membership couldn't climb, not only to the 100,000 registered members on the old board, but into the half million range and beyond.

I put a question out to some of my contacts within the general executive level of the business community on what value they would place on a member of a forum that was engaged and attached to a business where they had the opportunity for 2 way communication and engagement. It was a sweeping range, but the average valuation of a member within forum.canucks.com was estimated to be around $250 per year per member, towards overall business valuation.

So, your call, this is @Ribs board and all I want to do here is support what's been achieved over the past 13 years and see if we can make things stronger moving forward.

Tell me what you think!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I'll vote for yes, but with caveats.

Both funding and engagement from them could be positive, but I'm at a place now where I personally would prefer to remain indepedent when it comes to our moderation/administration of the forum. Sure, we'd be glad to take $100/mo from them if they offered, but maybe not if they required us to shut up criticism about Aquaman, for example.

Not sure if it's realistic though that they would want to engage with a group like ours without also somewhat controlling the message.

Completely with you and if they don't understand that criticism and adversity are big part of an organization and should be expected, then there is no point. I agree that in staying here, everything is run by the people on this board. They failed in how they handled this at so many levels, its not even funny.

For them to engage, I would expect them to do it, the same way as they do with other media within Vancouver, but considering this is also a direct portal to the fans, I'm hoping that they would recognize that in a way they haven't in past and provide a lot more in the way of flow of information etc, than just $100 / month. 🙂

19 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I am a hundred years older than most of you, and the one thing my long life has taught me is that we live in a state of constant change, and the things we have come to know and love eventually go away and are replaced by other things. Apparently the Canucks (or maybe the NHL?) killed off CDC for whatever reasons. So some people have to go through all the stages of grief/loss before they get to acceptance. (the stages are: Anger (I am so mad that my forum has been taken away that I want to hurt something); Depression (My life will never be the same and I don't know if I can even get off the couch); Bargaining (If we make a detailed appeal to the team, surely they'll change their minds); Denial (I can't believe this happened. The decision will be reversed, I'm sure); Acceptance (It is what it is, so I'll have to move forward and find something new). Friendly advice: dispense with the first four stages pretty quickly and get straight to acceptance. You will save yourself a lot of angst and it will be fun to be part of something new with the same people who have always been here. 

Final thought: "They may take our forums, they may try to silence our voices, they may try to consign us to the fringes and shadows, but they will never take our FRREEEDOM." (with apologies to Braveheart)

We need a picture of Mel Gibson yelling "FORUUUUUUMSSSSSSSCANUCKS.COMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"

• Haha 1

if they would have their own topic where they only responded to messages/questions in this topic it would be interesting... but i know for sure they will need rules, someone must discuss and negotiate the rules before they would even consider... likely certain topics would be off limits and they should be respectful, i dont know i just dont see how everyone will remain respectful... its possible we could maybe get them to send us a monthly/quarterly update but the info we receive will be general and washed down... don't see it happening TBH... but stranger things have happened

• Cheers 1

Given what they've said so far, there's nothing of substance to be gained from looking further into things on the Canucks side. The fact they went as far as the blame CDC for falling season tickets and claiming racism on the boards which was a straight slap across the users faces and the moderators faces. All this is doing is making me dislike the team I am cheering for. So just let it go. We all know it's about censorship. Let em kill it. We have something new and better and we have independence to say what we want. This forum is literally the cooler Daniel. Don't need their clearly bias oversight.

Edited by JeremyCuddles
  • Cheers 1

The voting options look a little different than on the old site, so I went with my 2nd preferred option.  I already stated my points on the other site, and won't bother regurgitating them here, since it's unlikely my thoughts would be taken into consideration by them in a meaningful way, and they're unlikely to come here to read this thread.

• Cheers 1

They got us on the place we wanted to be.This forum is good(Thank you Ribs).We will collect left over members from there,when they close.We lost nothing and got free in the proces.Kind of stupid to treat your fan base in this way.Say nothing about us and everything about them.They cant be trusted again.Who bite once,will bite second time for sure.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I posted a similar Poll on the old board to get some feedback and opinion on how hard to push moving forward.

As many of you know, I've been communicating with a couple of people on the Canucks Business side after an email I sent them Saturday night. I've been exchanging emails with the President of Canuck Business Operations (Roughly same level as Rutherford but on the business side) and their Chief Revenue Officer who I had a call with on Monday afternoon.

So, the question that I'm asking here, not only of the fans as a whole, but of the Administrator, @Ribs as well as the board moderators is, should I keep chasing this for some level of access and involvement?

I view the fact that this had to be created as a landing spot for disenfranchised Canuck Fans as a slap to the fan base in the Official Forum and a big show of disrespect to the whole Moderator and board management team who have done an awesome job on forum.canucks.com and and incredible job pulling this board together on a new domain in a really short period of time.

Funding this board, although right now, everyone is worked up and will happily donate, but chasing donation funding often gets harder with time. The domain name that this is built on doesn't really matter, but the overall funding of this board and growing it again would likely be easier if Canucks organization actually engaged in some way with the board and the teams fans. If that can be achieved, then I don't see any reason why membership couldn't climb, not only to the 100,000 registered members on the old board, but into the half million range and beyond.

I put a question out to some of my contacts within the general executive level of the business community on what value they would place on a member of a forum that was engaged and attached to a business where they had the opportunity for 2 way communication and engagement. It was a sweeping range, but the average valuation of a member within forum.canucks.com was estimated to be around $250 per year per member, towards overall business valuation.

So, your call, this is @Ribs board and all I want to do here is support what's been achieved over the past 13 years and see if we can make things stronger moving forward.

Tell me what you think!

what kind of engagement and involvement are you hoping to achieve? there really wasn't any on CDC to speak of. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 1-d said:

As long as the involvement doesn't include having Aquilini's lawyer as super ultra god admin/mod here...

Jokes aside, did the team actually have any say in how the old CDC board operated?  Truthfully I have no idea. 

Generally, no, thanks largely to Kevin, who used to work for the Canucks digital team. He let mods and admins run things on their own. I suspect that even when Kevin left, that was such a strong precedent that they didn't feel they could change things and control the messaging or operation, so they just decided to shut it down instead.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I know it’s pretty damn easy for me to say but I have no further interest in either funding or engagement from the organization. They have already shown that both come with strings attached. Frankly they should be chasing engagement with us fans not the other way around and if they’re too thick to realize that then so be it. Their loss.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Generally, no, thanks largely to Kevin, who used to work for the Canucks digital team. He let mods and admins run things on their own. I suspect that even when Kevin left, that was such a strong precedent that they didn't feel they could change things and control the messaging or operation, so they just decided to shut it down instead.

Thanks for the insight and what a shame. 😮‍💨

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, tas said:

what kind of engagement and involvement are you hoping to achieve? there really wasn't any on CDC to speak of. 

I don't really have an answer for that, but what I hear on this board, I hear from other hockey fans as well. I think if there was another professional hockey team in Vancouver, Aquilini might see a big drop in his equity valuation based on fans jumping ship. That's a failure on their part, I'm just telling them that starting with this group might be a good place to begin rebuilding fan perception.

23 minutes ago, Rubik said:

just out of curiosity, what does option 3 entail in your mind?

In my mind, Option 3, letting this go but letting them know that they lost an opportunity would be;

Telling them as nicely and professionally as possible, that the fan base says "Piss Off and thanks for the disrespect"

However I close off communication with them, I'll be posting a copy of that email as I have pretty much all other communication.