[Article] Rutherford: Canucks almost 'out of some contracts we'd prefer not to have'

RWJC

Rutherford: Canucks almost 'out of some contracts we'd prefer not to have'

President of Hockey Operations says Canucks almost have salary cap unraveled

By Jeff Paterson 

On the day he was hired nearly two years ago, Vancouver Canucks President of Hockey Operations Jim Rutherford identified creating a 'cap cushion' as one of his priorities. In that time, however, the Canucks have operated at or above the National Hockey League salary threshold and that's with the team executing one of the largest contract buyouts in league history.

On Wednesday, ahead of the start of Canucks training camp, Rutherford admitted that getting the salary cap under control remains a work in progress. Last year at this time, the team had to part with a second round draft pick to move the contract of Jason Dickinson to Chicago and yesterday had to tack on a third round pick to move Tanner Pearson and the final year of his $3.25M deal to Montreal.

"We still have work to do, we're not sitting here saying we're where we need to be," Rutherford said. "Based on what we had to deal with, we're still working through the cap. I think we've almost got it unraveled. We're probably a contract or two away from getting to where we want to be and then we can really move forward the way we want to."

Without mentioning names, Rutherford had to be pointing to the expiring deal of Tyler Myers that carries a $6M cap hit along with contracts for Brock Boeser (2 years remaining at $6.65M) and Conor Garland (3 years remaining at $4.95M).

All three of those names have been floated repeatedly in trade rumours yet all three remain on the Canucks roster. Rutherford blamed the NHL's flat cap for the difficulties the Canucks have had trying to shed salaries.

"Moves that were made prior to us coming here, I don't even disagree with them," Rutherford said. "People were making moves on teams thinking the cap would keep going up. And if the cap kept going up, we're not having this conversation. It's been a flat cap since COVID.

That's going to change next year and also we're going to be at the point where we're out of some contracts that we'd prefer not to have. We'd hoped to do it quicker. We'd hoped to do everything quicker. We all want to win immediately. But we've moved as quick as we can. Whatever opportunities are there, we've taken. We'd like to have moved quicker, but we haven't."

Rutherford said that with the moves the Canucks have made this off-season he believes this is a playoff team -- IF -- everything goes right. The Canucks begin the process of getting things right with the first session of training camp on Thursday morning in Victoria.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/news/rutherford-canucks-almost-out-of-some-contracts-wed-prefer-not-to-have

Edited by RWJC
  • Thanks 1

• RWJC changed the title to [Article] Rutherford: Canucks almost 'out of some contracts we'd prefer not to have'
7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm not convinced that Brock isn't part of this team going forward, I'm excited to see what lean Brock can do this year.

Yeah I’m surprised he mentions Boeser in this article. Of the three, his is the only contract that was penned by Allvin. And I feel like Allvin has had lots of positives to say about Boeser, especially now that he’s leaner

10 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

I know that the author added Boeser, but I honestly don't think he's one of the contracts Jim is talking about.

Myers and Garland are the 2 big ones that need to be gone. And Poolman is another.

Myers and Poolman are both gone this year.. Just gotta hope Garland has a decent year and gains some trade value.

Poolman has another year.

But yeah, Myers and Beau expire this year, and hopefully Garland becomes easier to move when the cap goes up as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

At this point we should just let Myers ride out his contract. It's a sunk cost as we've paid his bonus and he's only got one more year.

Eats up some minutes and throws big hits.

Edited by LucBourdon28
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, LucBourdon28 said:

At this point we should just let Myers ride out his contract. It's a sunk cost at this point.

I wouldn't pay to get rid of him, but there's value in clearing the slate and turning the page with the guys who are going to be here. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

This year will be a big test for JR/Allvin. We've heard all the excuses they made, some of which they inflicted on themselves (i.e. cap issues). So far, they've paid it through draft picks, something very reminiscent of the previous regime. In short, it's hypocritical.

We have to see how this team fares this year because I'm honestly tired of the excuses from management. In my mind, this management has it a lot better than whatever Benning was left with from Gillis.

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, tas said:

I wouldn't pay to get rid of him, but there's value in clearing the slate and turning the page with the guys who are going to be here. 

If there is a hockey trade to be made without giving up draft picks, yeah sign me up.

With teams pressed against the cap across the league, it would have to be money in and money out though. It would be a interesting trade, but I wonder we could address with Myers cause it might be better to keep him. 

Edited by LucBourdon28

4 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Rutherford is a effin' idiot! Those players probably already know who they are but you don't have to blab it out loud. It creates a bad culture. The wise move in silence.

I do agree with this. the guy carelessly flaps his gums, it's good they keep his old ass away from the cameras these days. 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, RawkDrummer said:

keep Boeser for now, we've waited this long why give up now?

Agreed. Give Brock this year, no excuses, but I believe he's out to prove something.

I also believe, because Myers is playing for his next contract, there's no need to move him immediately. 

If, for some reason, we're out of the playoff race, trade him at the TDL.  

• Cheers 2

Once Myers, Beauvillier and DeSmith are either expired contracts or traded we should be pretty good, that's $11.95 million off the books.
Even with Petey and Hronek to re-sign (let's say they come close to $20 million combined), we still have around $13 million with the biggest holes in top-4 D (if Cole is gone), depth D (re-sign or replace Irwin and Rathbone), re-sign or replace Blueger's $1.9 million, and sign a couple of depth guys (Joshua/ Studnicka/ Dries/ Di GIuseppe) plus bring up Silovs.  No reason to believe that Garland and Beauvillier can't at least be net neutral with enough opportunity, if not positives given health for Boeser.

Edited by Phil_314