Dumb facts by Dumb Nuck

Dumb Nuck

I love stats and trivia so thought it might be fun to have an obscure/fun fact/stat thread about our favorite team so I’ll start.

Best I can tell there have been 631 players to don a Canucks jersey, over 160 have not scored a goal in that jersey.

Dumb/fun fact: 1/4 Canuck players have never scored a goal for the team.

1/6 have never recorded a point.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, RawkDrummer said:

Great stats but what's the average games played?

Dunno, but I did some calculations a couple years ago and figured out I have been at more Canucks games than 94% of all Canucks.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, RawkDrummer said:

Great stats but what's the average games played?

Used to be the average NHL career was 7 years.   That's changing.   Serviceable vets are getting ousted in favour of league min ELC or two way AHL guys to fill out rosters, so they retire earlier.    The blue chip guys keep playing for cups at times, but for peanuts (that said they have already for the most part, made a killing).     I'd guess the average career length is going down.   

I love this and have brought it up a couple times.   Canucks superstar of the early 2000's,  Markus Naslund,  won more first team all-star berths, then the guy we traded scored NHL goals in PIT.    3, consecutive.   No other player on the Canucks has managed that, and just in case anyone out there gets this mixed up, this is not at all the same as an invite or selection to the All-Star game.    That's a small honour now given each team has to pick someone regardless of whether or not they've earned that, a bigger honour before they changed it up.    One thing that matter is first and second all-star berths for sure, when evaluating and judging a players career. 

In other words first team all-star means the leagues writers, decide, and any player whom gets a first or second team all-star berth is pretty special, at least that year.    Second team all-star is also a big honour.   Howe has more than anyone, 21 years, 12 first team, 9 second as the best or second best RW in the league.   Only Borque has more first team all-star berths, 13 and 6 second team...so 19 of his 22 years he was considered one of the 1-4 best D's in the entire league.    To put this into perspective, Ovi has 8 first and 4 second team selection.   An amazing accomplishment for a generational player.   Borque did this during the golden era of the NHL plus the dead puck era.   His final season, was also second in Norris votes lol.   What a rock solid player, from start to finish.    Gretzky leads the pack for centers (can only be one), when 8, and 15 total.   Close a couple other times ... so 15 of his 20 seasons, was considered the first and second team.    McDavid already has tied Mario.   He's actually got a decent shot at passing Gretzky which is pretty incredible.   

Each year the hockey writers association, votes each position, LW, C, RW, D and goalies.   What's curious about this the goalies don't always line up because the GMs vote in the Vezina.  Multiple times a different goalie is voted for the first string all-star berth, but a different goalie wins the Vezina.   

Would be interesting to find out, what Canucks have ever received that sort of honour.   A first or second team selection outside of Naslund.    Luongo, the Sedins, Bure ... anyone else?

And just for fun.   How many do you predict EP will get ... my bet is about 3.   One first and two seconds.    Naslunds club record seems safe. 

HHOF, one of the things they look at is this.   Same as hockey historians (AJ might like this), look at this, TOI, and other variables when ranking all-time lists,  TOI especially for defenseman under more than one coach.   How much did they trust him.    One of the reasons Chris Pronger was such a mule. 

One more thing.   Generational is thrown out there too often.  So is super-star.   To be considered a super-star, a player needs to be heads and shoulders above the other star players, by definition.   And must manage this for a length of time, not a one season flash in the pan, at least two, preferably 3 or more.    There can only be a few superstars at any given time. 

How many have we actually had?   Three IMO.  Bure, Naslund, Luongo.    Sedins were close.    EP maybe one day will make it.   QHs is doubtful. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

How many have we actually had?   Three IMO.  Bure, Naslund, Luongo.    Sedins were close.    EP maybe one day will make it.   QHs is doubtful. 

How many superstars have we had? Or how many were superstars when they played for us? Sundin and "the player who shall remain nameless" also fall into the former category (but certainly not the latter). And when overall context is taken into perspective (the state of the game when the player played) then an argument could be made for Linden & Smyl as the consensual epitome of a 2-way player at the time (much like Bergeron would be considered a super-star today for that form of play).

On 9/23/2023 at 3:03 AM, IBatch said:

Would be interesting to find out, what Canucks have ever received that sort of honour.   A first or second team selection outside of Naslund.    Luongo, the Sedins, Bure ... anyone else?

Bertuzzi was a 1st team All Star.  Gary Smith was 3rd in voting for goalie in 1975.  Linden and Kesler both got to 4th.  I'm probably forgetting some.

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2023 at 9:15 PM, Dumb Nuck said:

I love stats and trivia so thought it might be fun to have an obscure/fun fact/stat thread about our favorite team so I’ll start.

Best I can tell there have been 631 players to don a Canucks jersey, over 160 have not scored a goal in that jersey.

Dumb/fun fact: 1/4 Canuck players have never scored a goal for the team.

1/6 have never recorded a point.

oh yo, youre alive?