Anyone else feel immensely dejected?

I mean, realistically the odds are against every team going deep. Teams don't typically run straight to a cup win after missing the playoffs for a few years either. 

We're playing game three, just enjoy the ride, the fact that they made the playoffs at all this season is a sign of progress. Maybe it ends up being a stepping stone season, that ain't the end of the world. 

Over the past ten or so years most folks would have been thrilled just making the playoffs, folks can be optimistic all they like but maybe some folks need to reign their expectations in a bit? The season has already been a success regardless of how things go.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

It’s funny after the game one win I said no matter what happens I am thrilled with this season. We had a full season of meaningful hockey. An emotional playoff win. 

id be lying if I I said I wasnt upset about this news, and while it doesn’t guarantee we wont win, its bad news for sure. 

We earned at least 3 home playoff games and I can’t be upset with that considering everything had to “go perfect” for us to even make the playoffs, let alone win the division. 

Who knows, maybe this is what the players need to really compete, you think tocchet is giving up? 

Edited by BlueJays
  • Like 3

The season is already a success, don't let anyone take that away.

it's 1-1, and could easily be 2-0 if the boys converted half of the spoon fed empty net chances they got last game.

Desmith is solid as long as he's not hung out to dry

• Like 1

It's a team game and on the players to step up when their team member is down. A bit of an overreaction calling off the playoffs on 1 injury.

Enjoy this year for what it is since it's been a long 9 years since we've been in this position.

Not at all. This team has already exceeded everyone's expectations and I think we have the players and personnel to continue this next year. I've already said I'm not too disappointed if they're out first round as long as they put up a fight. And we're not even close to that point yet. 

My concern for Demko is now his injury history and ability to stay healthy in the long run, more than whether he can return in this year's playoff. 

Of course there's an initial reaction of disappointment and disbelief. We're all human. 

But then it's a choice what you do with that. I'm not deflated at all. Especially after five decades of watching hockey. Good things can happen in the face of impossible odds.

Also, we were fortunate to have the few injuries we did this season. It could have been a lot worse. We all knew this team could beat anyone when healthy. We had to stay healthy in order to have continued success. A lot of things went right this season and a lot of people were proved wrong. Our window is just beginning.

We now know definitively that Demko's load needs to be managed more next season, so that means we have to really focus more on a backup that can handle 30+ games. 

On another note ...

Optimism and expectations are two different things.

Optimism drives hope. Especially in a season like this, which skews expectations. We all want that chance of winning the Cup. The optimism around the team fuels that what if hope. It's up to us to not let that get into expecting the Cup and temper those expectations.

You can be optimistic about the team, even despite the odds, obstacles, and setbacks - also see the good and appreciate the season at large - yet still not expect the team to never get scored on and dominate each game flawlessly.

So, reigning in those unrealistic expectations would be a good idea. They're a recipe for disappointment and negativity.

Positive or negative, reactions are a choice.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 3

You can generally tell the older fans from the newer fans. I've been a fan since the late 80's. This is nothing. Enjoy the process and just cheer your team on. End of the day it's just a game and if it is affecting you so negatively I suggest you get outside, have a nice walk, enjoy nature and remind yourself that the world continues on regardless of the outcome of a game.

Go Canucks Go!

• Like 1

It’s bad news for sure, but after you’ve been a fan of this team for a few decades, you learn to just roll with the punches.

We’ve had long stretches over the years where we had no shot at even making the playoffs, which puts a successful year like this one into perspective. 

Obviously as fans it’s okay to want more, but we’ve made a lot of progress in a short amount of time and the future is still bright. Maybe this year shows this group what it takes to win and is a stepping stone to future success. 

Either way I’m going to do my best to enjoy it and try to remain positive. 

• Like 1

I kinda think this is total BS.  We win that last game against Nashville 8 out of 10 times.  I'm fully confident we can win both in Nashville and take this series.  

Survive a few games is round two and get Demko back, see where it goes. 

This is far from over, we just need our guys to bury pucks into open nets when they are there.  Probably have to score 3 or 4 each game to win, but we have the team that can do that.