[Proposal] Marner and Going all-in (HEAR ME OUT)

Posted (edited)

Hi! 

Drancer posted on twitter that Mitch Marner is a player he thinks we should go after if the Leafs bow out of the first/second round and look to finally shake up their core, and while I don't typically like Drance, upon further inspection I honestly don't hate the idea. Here's what we know about Marner and the situation in Toronto.

Mitch Marner is just finishing his age 26 season after two straight years of roughly 1.23 ppg in the regular season after being top 5 in scoring in the bubble, and has one year left on his $10.903 million contract. He's a speedy winger who's niche is being one of the smartest and best playmakers in the league in terms of creating chances off the cycle. He won't bowl you over with hits, but he's deceptively fast and excellent on the PK. He's been rather effectively neutralized over the last few playoff runs, but I think that's more due to Toronto's coach failing to utilize his strength on the cycle, instead opting for a run-and-gun or dump-and-chase against physical Bruins/Panthers/Lightning teams. He still 0.9 ppg in the playoffs in his career and I think a different style would work for him. 

Last year, Kyle Dubas hinted at the locker cleanout that he would look to move Marner prior to his NMC kicking in, and he was publicly fired and flamed very shortly after by POHO Brendan Shanahan. Shanahan has been the President since 2013, and speculation is that everyone from Shanahan down will be fired and replaced if the Leafs don't exorcise their demons this year. I would expect a major shift in direction, and a higher emphasis on Dallas style depth instead of Edmonton style star power, and that starts with dealing Marner in a major shakeup trade. Matthews isn't being dealt, nobody's touching Tavares, and Nylander has one of the largest winger contracts in the league. I think Mitch is the most likely candidate to be moved, and I think we'd actually be quite capable of bringing him in. 

1. We have cap space, the pieces, and a chance to win-now, and Marner is a top 10 winger in the NHL

2. Our style of cycle the puck and keep people outside when defending is much more suited to his style of play, especially in the playoffs

3. Contract year - I don't presume we'd re-sign him but he'd have huge incentive to play for an up and coming team who wants to go far in the playoffs, and the threat of being held out until he agrees to a trade out of Toronto could be detrimental to his future earnings

4. Toronto is desperate for a shakeup, and would entertain moving him for increased depth and future prospects to retool on the fly 

5. Marner is very community driven and phenomenal with kids, he'd be a perfect addition to the Canucks for Kids Network and would support the Sedins in that aspect

I propose: 

To Vancouver: 

Mitch Marner (10.903)

To Toronto: 

2025 1st+2nd 

Garland (4.95)

Rights to Nikita Zadorov (Rumoured interest in him all year) 

Max Sasson and a collection of prospects not named Willander/Lekk/DPetey

Toronto gets 6 million in cap space to sign Nikita Zadorov to a long term deal as they've been rumoured to want to do, and shake up the core. Vancouver buys low on a potential game-breaking talent who fans have been and will be running out of town. 

image.thumb.png.bbe49b5d4731b80cb3f534fdb9e07545.png

image.thumb.png.c1ab0fa0aa3d39413c8981d59f95363f.png

Assuming a cap of $87.7 as rumoured, this would be 500k under the max with a 21 man roster. I also expect Mikheyev to bounce back next year with a fully healthy knee and would like to see how he works with Petey and Brock going forwards. If it doesn't work, staple him to the PK and fourth line. I also like Hakanpaa as a Myers replacement, and think Cole, Blueger, and Joshua could all be brought back if we give them term over AAV. For Toronto, I think Garland would work wonders with Tavares, but this deal also leaves them with $17 million in cap space to re-sign Domi/Bertuzzi and/or sign some wicked depth... and/or go big game hunting in Guentzel. With a proper coach, I could see the Leafs benefitting like crazy from this kind of deal. 

Cheers 🙂

Edited by Honkin Hronek
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

How so? He's soft and expensive. 

Guentzel's going to make 9.5-10.5 long term on the open market, but is far from being known for his defensive prowess. Marner makes 0.5-1.5 more but would be on PK1, is great on the powerplay and does a lot of his chance creation at 5 on 5. This also frees Boeser to play with Petey long term, since Miller and Marner are perfect stylistic matches. 

Just now, Honkin Hronek said:

Guentzel's going to make 9.5-10.5 long term on the open market, but is far from being known for his defensive prowess. Marner makes 0.5-1.5 more but would be on PK1, is great on the powerplay and does a lot of his chance creation at 5 on 5. This also frees Boeser to play with Petey long term, since Miller and Marner are perfect stylistic matches. 

That's way too much for G tho. Anyone paying over 8 will regret it imo.

Marner can get a boatload for Toronto that helps them immediately, why would they trade with you for that subpar package? lol. 

And why would we want 2 potential 11million+ playoff non performers on our roster lol. Marner's a big part of that Toronto team that's not performing in the playoffs for years. 

• Cheers 1

100% we need a player of Marner's ilk. Puck possession player who is not only a passer but a player that creates for others using their feet and vision. We have a dirth of good shooters and avg skaters in our lineup that would benefit hugely from this type of player.

Most of our skilled players have avg at best passing imo and sometimes they are throwing grenades out there or doing back passes to no one.

Maybe Garland is our closest player (forward) of this type but his work is mostly dipsy doodling along the boards and I think others have a hard time playing off him, except Dak cause he just goes to the net.

Marner is the sort of player I wouldnt trade for unless the deal really favours the Canucks.

10 million cap hit for a player we have no idea how he will mesh/fit under Tocchett.  High risk.

Signed for 2 years then can walk in 25-26.

Great regular season player but disappears in the playoffs.  Petey already has those sorts of question marks-why gamble with another player like that?

Im of the mind the Canucks need to continue to do business like they have-sign smaller cap deals that have the potential to pay off/provide depth.  I would be extremely hesitant to add any high priced players unless it is someone the org. believes they HAVE to have.  Canucks have to manage the cap very well for the upcoming OEL buy out years.

I actually think that’s a good first and second line.

However, that defensive core is not good enough, one injury or two and we probably miss the playoffs with that defensive core. Honestly, I don’t even think we make the playoffs with that defensive core healthy all season.

Zadorov is a UFA, so you can’t trade his rights.

6 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I actually think that’s a good first and second line.

However, that defensive core is not good enough, one injury or two and we probably miss the playoffs with that defensive core. Honestly, I don’t even think we make the playoffs with that defensive core healthy all season.

Zadorov is a UFA, so you can’t trade his rights.

Teams trade rights of soon to be UFAs to prior to July 1 so the extra year can be added to the new contract. Or isn’t that done anymore? 

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Teams trade rights of soon to be UFAs to prior to July 1 so the extra year can be added to the new contract. Or isn’t that done anymore? 

Players need to be with a team by the trade deadline on order to qualify for the 8th contract year. Trading just prior to free agency doesn't afford that option