[Article] Ten observations from Canucks training camp: Systems work, the blue line and more

RWJC

Ten observations from Canucks training camp: Systems work, the blue line and more

VICTORIA, B.C. — This is our first look at a Rick Tocchet training camp, but it’s not necessarily indicative of how the next training camp the Vancouver Canucks’ first-year coach runs might look.

In contrast with the scrimmage-heavy, battle-drill focused, public-skating-test training camps we’ve taken in over the past few years, Tocchet’s first Canuckscamp has been punctuated more by systems work and multi-faceted drills focusing on breakouts, regroups and retrievals. Lengthy white-board sessions have preceded these drills, which have been far more common than the competitive drills that are usually more telling in terms of separating top performers from the likely camp cuts.

After Friday’s sessions, Tocchet explained that he’d tailored this approach to training camp for the team in question. The methodical way the first two days of Canucks training camp have unfolded doesn’t seem to be philosophical for Tocchet. It’s more about what this team needs at this point in his tenure — a detailed download of his schematic infrastructure — than it is about his preferences as head coach.

As Harman Dayal and Thomas Drance have closely watched the proceedings unfold across two days of Canucks training camp at the Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre in the Provincial capital this week, here are 9 more observations from Canucks camp so far…

1. Jack Studnicka’s urgency

Jack Studnicka didn’t get much of a look from Tocchet down the stretch last season.

The big-bodied, versatile forward started Tocchet’s first game as Vancouver’s third-line centre. By the end of the second period he was stapled to the bench. He was then scratched 16 times out of Tocchet’s remaining 36 games.

Given that unfortunate first impression, Studnicka clearly came into camp knowing the score: this wasn’t going to be an easy team for the 24-year-old forward to make. And credit to him, because through two days of training camp, he’s stood out for all of the right reasons.

Tocchet indicated Friday that Studnicka managed some of the highest scores in fitness testing prior to camp. In addition to being among the most noticeably urgent skaters at camp, Studnicka’s skill has played — he scored a howitzer wrist shot goal top shelf on Nikita Tolopilo on Friday that was so impressive that Daniel Sedin skated over and dapped him up — and he seemed to earn a promotion back to centre on Day 2.

After the session, Tocchet was effusive about how Studnicka responded to the challenges he faced down the stretch last season, indicating that Studnicka took accountability for where his performance fell short and “didn’t make excuses.” We’ll see how it plays out in the scrimmage and in preseason, but Studnicka has the look of a player charging hard to give himself a shot to make this team.

2. Nils Höglander’s opportunity

Skating down on a 2-on-1 with Elias Pettersson to his right during a breakout drill on Friday, Höglander looked pass the whole way.

Canucks prospect Ty Young was in the net, and as you might imagine if you put yourself in the skates of a WHL goalie, he was cheating a bit to prepare himself to try and stop a rush shot from Pettersson. Höglander slowed up, still showing pass with both his hands and body, and then uncorked a clever no-look snapshot that beat Young short side.

Höglander fell out of favour in a major way under Bruce Boudreau, but before Boudreau took over, he was a fixture in Vancouver’s top six under Travis Green. On the day Green was fired during the 2021-22 campaign, for example, Höglander was averaging over 14 minutes per game and ranked fourth among all Canucks forwards in even-strength points (behind Conor Garland, Bo Horvat and J.T. Miller). In fact, in his first 81 career games — all under Green — Höglander was a top-six mainstay and managed 37 points (with only three coming on the power play).

There are areas where Höglander’s game will need to grow, particularly away from the puck and in terms of finishing chances, particularly if he earns the job riding shotgun with Pettersson and Andrei Kuzmenko.

In terms of the top-six look he’s been given to open training camp though, it’s worth remembering that he’s done this before. In fact, he’s succeeded in this role before.

3. Noah Juulsen’s big opportunity

When Canucks media and fans drafted up possible top-four defence pairs in the offseason, almost none of them had Noah Juulsen in it. Sure, Juulsen was seen as a contender for an NHL roster spot, but most viewed him as a No. 7/8 type of option. We asked Juulsen what the coaching staff’s message to him was in terms of the type of opportunity he’s battling for, and it’s clearly more than just a depth role.

“They’re looking for someone to play with Huggy,” said Juulsen. “I don’t think they’re sure what they’re going to do at the moment. There’s a lot of options that could play with him, so that’s what they’re trying to work through right now.”

This is a big opportunity for a player who wasn’t really on the radar as a top candidate for the cushy job next to Hughes.

4. The Top 4 requires three lefties

New Canucks management has spent heavily to upgrade the defense core. Since Patrik Allvin became Canucks general manager, he’s traded a second-round pick (and Jason Dickinson’s inefficient contract) for Riley Stillman, a third-round pick for Travis Dermott, a fifth-round pick for Ethan Bear, a first-round pick and a second-round pick for Filip Hronek, used six of the club’s 13 draft picks – including the 2023 11th overall selection – on blue liners, and proportioned the lion’s share of the cap benefit from the Oliver Ekman-Larsson buyout to a pair of unrestricted free agent defenders in Ian Cole and Cason Soucy.

Given that level of investment, and the sheer capital spent on upgrading Vancouver’s blue line, the club needs their defense corps to be significantly improved this year.

And yet, as camp opened, Tocchet indicated a preference for lefty-righty pairings and started Noah Juulsen on Quinn Hughes’ right side. Perhaps that sticks, but it’s also possible that Tocchet’s preference isn’t too dogmatic. On day two of Canucks camp anyway, it was Soucy (who shoots left) playing his off-side as Hughes’ caddy.

If Vancouver is going to go with strong-side pairings, it’s hard to see how they have enough right-side depth to pull it off. It’s almost certain, for example, that wherever he takes line rushes, Tyler Myers will play top-four minutes if the club sticks with strong-side defense pairs when the season begins.

Given the work to renovate the blue line, it’s hard to see how that’s a sensible way to deploy their blue-line resources.

5. Jett Woo’s shot

If Vancouver’s coaching staff decides to favour strong-side defense pairings, that creates a route for a player like Jett Woo to potentially make the NHL team.

Woo has stood out over the first two days of camp, showing a real NHL skill level moving the puck in drills and demonstrating his improved skating.

It’s still early, but recent European or NCAA free agent additions like Cole McWard and Filip Johansson look like projects who will need some development before contributing at the NHL level; Woo looks like a player to monitor over the balance of training camp.

6. Why McDonough studies film of Auston Matthews

Aidan McDonough turns 24 in early November. He’s older than Nils Höglander and Vasily Podkolzin and only a couple of years younger than Anthony Beauvillier and Brock Boeser. McDonough is a mature prospect, with less development runway left than most of the forwards in Vancouver’s pipeline. He’s at an age where he probably needs to light up the American League and be so good that he forces his way into the conversation as an NHL recall option at some point in 2023-24 if he’s going to break through as an everyday NHL player in his career.

McDonough made an excellent first impression in Penticton where he was arguably the best forward out of all the teams at the Penticton Young Stars tournament. He has a wicked, blistering release on his shot. He said he’s confident he can beat any goalie cleanly as long as he gives himself a good look. What separates McDonough from other talented shooters is his ability to get open and give himself clear shooting lanes with such ease and consistency.

Turns out it’s not a coincidence that he’s so talented in that regard. He’s watched a ton of film on how elite goal scorers find and create opportunities to shoot from dangerous offensive situations.

“You look at a guy like Auston Matthews, his ability to get open and find those lanes — he’s one of the best at it and that’s probably why he gets 60 every year. There’s so many guys that can shoot the puck hard and have good releases, but you have to know when to use it, when to pass, when to get into space, how to get open and I think that’s something you learn by watching hockey and it’s something I’ve always watched and pick up on.

“It’s all timing and spacing — the goal scorers are usually best at that.”

To hear McDonough speak about taking the next step as a player, he takes the conversation back to his six-game NHL cameo at the end of last season. He called it an eye-opening experience that taught him valuable lessons and guided his offseason preparation.

“There’s a few times in the games where I’m going to have to be a lot better,” McDonough told The Athletic. “Like in the defensive zone, the (opposing team’s) D pinch down really hard and you have to get the puck out (quickly). If you can do that as a winger, then you’re going to be relied upon, your coach is going to trust you.”

7. Danila Klimovich’s slow start

Klimovich improved as an AHL sophomore last season, although he played in a bottom-six role and didn’t play much on the power-play. This year, he needs to seize a bigger role. He’s been given a good opportunity — riding with McDonough and Max Sasson in both Penticton and training camp on a line that should play top-six minutes in Abbotsford — but it’s been a slow start for him.

Klimovich didn’t stand out enough at Young Stars and he hasn’t looked sharp through two days of camp either. He seems to lose control of the puck when making plays too often and hasn’t made the smartest decisions.

Hopefully he can show more, starting with Saturday’s scrimmage — otherwise, he may struggle to earn a top-six role in Abbotsford.

8. Can Filip Hronek maintain his defensive gains in a potential shutdown role?

For the last two seasons, Hughes’ pair has logged big minutes, but matchup data reveals that Vancouver’s second pair (formerly with Oliver Ekman-Larsson) is the one that played against opposing teams’ top lines most often. The way Vancouver frees Hughes up is the same thing that Tampa Bay does with Victor Hedman or what Nashville does with Roman Josi.

Cole’s pair handled the toughest matchups last season, so it stands to reason that he’ll do the same in Vancouver. He’s been paired with Hronek thus far in camp.

Hronek struggled defending against top lines early in his career. Moritz Seider’s emergence took that burden off Hronek, whose breakout defensively has coincided with playing average matchups rather than elite competition. It raises the question: Can Hronek maintain his vastly improved defensive form if he goes back to playing a shutdown role?

9. Ian Cole’s underrated puck skills?

The Canucks’ backend has been significantly upgraded compared to the start of last season. But one of the lingering concerns is whether their speed and ability to break the puck out will be playoff-calibre, especially after losing Ethan Bear and with Soucy and Cole being defensive defencemen.

Vancouver ran a lot of breakout drills on Friday and one of the interesting takeaways is that Ian Cole has a pretty decent first touch. He doesn’t fumble the puck when picking it up off the end boards and looks comfortable making short bump passes under pressure. It’s nothing extraordinary — he doesn’t have the mobility or high-end skills to be a major contributor on breakouts — but he showed shades of Luke Schenn in terms of his poise and confidence handling the puck, especially compared to Soucy, who’s definitely a work in progress in that area.

It doesn’t absolve the concern about Vancouver’s ability to break the puck out, but seeing that from Cole is encouraging because Hronek performs best with a partner who can ably support transition play.

By Thomas Drance

https://theathletic.com/4890876/2023/09/22/canucks-training-camp-observations/?amp=1

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

I'm hoping for Klim. But I'm worried he's one of these skill guys that thrives on lots of minutes. He is young, and he needs to learn the small details. Time will tell if he can put it all together. Long term I'm really stoked about Alriksson. Big body that can skate, and seems to play a two way game already. And there's flashes of offence there too.

That might be one of the better 4th round picks the team has had in a while.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Rubik said:

wow, you've been a posting machine lately... you know, someone will need to fill in for Vintage come TDL/playoff time... you ready for that responsibility? 😛

Haha no thanks. Just trying to add content until Vintage makes a triumphant return 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

the take on hronek is indeed worrisome. hronek did struggle hard early in his early career playing against elite competition.. last season it as mostly seider plays against the top lines. the canucks season basically hinges on how the top 4 of the defence plays. the projected 2nd pairing is going to be soucy/hronek? they are going to be up against other teams top line prolly majority of the game every night.. so it'll be interesting to see if it'll work out.. hronek historically struggles against elite competition.. and soucy a career 3rd pairing going to be playing against other teams top line. or are we willing to sacrifice Hughes offensive output and have him match up against other teams top line with cole? i don't recall hughes playing against other teams top line as much.. did the season where he struggled hard defensively was that mostly against other teams top line? i don't remember.. but then again it's possible since we didn't have a 2nd or 3rd pairing back then. i have more faith in the hughes/cole pairing against other teams top line then i do with hronek/soucy just because 1 is a 3rd pairing playing against top line and the other struggles against top line.. at least with hughes/cole you have cole that traditionally handles the top line assignment.

19 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

the take on hronek is indeed worrisome. hronek did struggle hard early in his early career playing against elite competition.. last season it as mostly seider plays against the top lines. the canucks season basically hinges on how the top 4 of the defence plays. the projected 2nd pairing is going to be soucy/hronek? they are going to be up against other teams top line prolly majority of the game every night.. so it'll be interesting to see if it'll work out.. hronek historically struggles against elite competition.. and soucy a career 3rd pairing going to be playing against other teams top line. or are we willing to sacrifice Hughes offensive output and have him match up against other teams top line with cole? i don't recall hughes playing against other teams top line as much.. did the season where he struggled hard defensively was that mostly against other teams top line? i don't remember.. but then again it's possible since we didn't have a 2nd or 3rd pairing back then. i have more faith in the hughes/cole pairing against other teams top line then i do with hronek/soucy just because 1 is a 3rd pairing playing against top line and the other struggles against top line.. at least with hughes/cole you have cole that traditionally handles the top line assignment.

Not sure that is all too concerning as that may just slide him up with Hughes and use Soucy/Cole for hard matchups. 
‘Hronek has a good hard shot which is something we have never seen partnered with Q. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Not sure that is all too concerning as that may just slide him up with Hughes and use Soucy/Cole for hard matchups. 
‘Hronek has a good hard shot which is something we have never seen partnered with Q. 

cole is a good start but i'm not sold on soucy able to play against top line.. going from career 3rd pairing assignment to top line assignment is a huge jump. if soucy was a RD he would have been a better fit with hughes playing the 2nd lines etc.. i just dunno about how he'll do going from playing 3rd/4th lines to 1st lines

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Watching Hronek through camp he hasn’t stood out either way. Very mild showing. Looked a lot better in scrimmage today. I think once he becomes comfortable he’ll be heavily relied upon to balance out QH on occasion but as a second line Dman he’s definitely going to need a Cole or similar to play to his Hronek’s strengths and afford him space.

I’m not so concerned about his defensive acumen. He’s sound that way. We need more points and opportunities presented from the back end as well. Here’s hoping for a very successful season from Hronkek to justify the price paid for him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

cole is a good start but i'm not sold on soucy able to play against top line.. going from career 3rd pairing assignment to top line assignment is a huge jump. if soucy was a RD he would have been a better fit with hughes playing the 2nd lines etc.. i just dunno about how he'll do going from playing 3rd/4th lines to 1st lines

Soucy decent with QH in scrimmage. I still think jury is out on best fit. Preseason games should help identify it. 

Genuine question - are we certain that Soucy and/or Cole are actually better players than Myers?

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Hirose - Cole

I just personally don't believe that Hughes needs stay-at-home babysitter, or should be forced to carry a plug of a partner just because he can...

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Soucy decent with QH in scrimmage. I still think jury is out on best fit. Preseason games should help identify it. 

Cole will play with Hughes. Soucy will play with Myers. Hirose will okay second paring minutes (5 on5) with Hronek. 
Hughes, Cole

Hronek, Hirose

Soucy, Myers

When Myers is traded Woo will earn that spot. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Cole will play with Hughes. Soucy will play with Myers. Hirose will okay second paring minutes (5 on5) with Hronek. 
Hughes, Cole

Hronek, Hirose

Soucy, Myers

Count Brisebois in there too.

He’s getting a lot of looks. 

5 minutes ago, nergish said:

Genuine question - are we certain that Soucy and/or Cole are actually better players than Myers?

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Hirose - Cole

I just personally don't believe that Hughes needs stay-at-home babysitter, or should be forced to carry a plug of a partner just because he can...

myers is an enigma, one moment he will make the most amzing play you have ever seen, the next moment hes lying down on the ice sliding for no real apparent reason... its like a parasite has taken host of his body and is making him do random plays... i also cringe every time he has the puck he is not graceful

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

myers is an enigma, one moment he will make the most amzing play you have ever seen, the next moment hes lying down on the ice sliding for no real apparent reason... its like a parasite has taken host of his body and is making him do random plays... i also cringe every time he has the puck he is not graceful

Myers win the Calder and then went backwards. Very similar to what we are seeing from Slo Mo Seider. Year one was their best. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Myers win the Calder and then went backwards. Very similar to what we are seeing from Slo Mo Seider. Year one was their best. 

detroit fans think they have a chance to make playoffs this year.... they are in for a rude awakening when they realize how much they are going to miss all the players they traded last trade deadline.... Hey Stevie thanks for your number 1 defenceman! we got the best defenceman from all the trades last deadline!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes, Cole

Hronek, Hirose

Soucy, Myers

I agree for the most part. Could see Juulsen potentially out work Woo.  One of the two tho for sure. Just my take.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, A_G said:

@RWJC how did Studnicka/Woo/Aman look today?

Studnicka stood out again. Highly engaged. 

Woo was consistent and not flashy which I think is great for the role he plays at his position. 

Aman was less effective today than he was in previous days, but that’s just my opinion. To be quite honest, I was more focused on a few other players and observing who and what the coaches were concentrating on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1