[GDT] Around the NHL [May 2024]

image.png.42e1a6512e1772885948b6328102c4b2.png

Well, the regular season has come to a close and the Canucks have made the dance, that's a successful season. What will they do in the postseason? We'll see. Who will go deep and who won't? Time will tell.

We're approaching the end of the season, it's been a fascinating ride. 

I won't bother putting putting up schedules given there are so few games to track, that'll resume next season.

Taxes, not a " big cut " taken by the players. Sure the union may look down on these types of deals and some agents may feel it is a negative in determining market value ( which the " market " is a complete joke in its current assumed valuations from actual on ice value compared to valuations based off poor deals ). 

14 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

@Coconuts What is this - the Hater's Guide to the NHL's failed teams?

I want a Shea Weber Utah jersey.  Or maybe an ex-Coyote like Datsyuk or Hossa?

I would recommend the Weber Utah jersey personally 

I’m actually surprised LA confirmed they ain’t buying out Dubois.. I would have seriously considered buying him out.. sure he’s on the book for 14 years.. but majority of those years is only like 1.1mil.. with maybe 2 years around 3.8 somewhere in there. if he buy him out next year those numbers almost double. 

20 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I’m actually surprised LA confirmed they ain’t buying out Dubois.. I would have seriously considered buying him out.. sure he’s on the book for 14 years.. but majority of those years is only like 1.1mil.. with maybe 2 years around 3.8 somewhere in there. if he buy him out next year those numbers almost double. 

I think it's more likely they try to adjust their systems going forward, multiple forwards have spoken about wanting to play in a different fashion. LA's forward group could certainly accomplish more offensively if they weren't playing such a conservative style. 

I also think they'd rather trade him than eat more dead cap, one thing I saw the other day was someone mention something along the lines of Dubois for Kuemper. Not ideal, but Kuemper's cap would expire sooner than Dubois's buyout. Washington could also use a center and I could see them being willing to take a flyer on Dubois. I don't think it'll happen, but I thought it interesting. 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think it's more likely they try to adjust their systems going forward, multiple forwards have spoken about wanting to play in a different fashion. LA's forward group could certainly accomplish more offensively if they weren't playing such a conservative style. 

I also think they'd rather trade him than eat more dead cap, one thing I saw the other day was someone mention something along the lines of Dubois for Kuemper. Not ideal, but Kuemper's cap would expire sooner than Dubois's buyout. Washington could also use a center and I could see them being willing to take a flyer on Dubois. I don't think it'll happen, but I thought it interesting. 

I think any Dubois deal have to involve La eating 25% at around 6mil heck I would take him with his baggage.. outside of that I don’t think anyone would take him even at 7.5 although they would end up with more cap hit then they would from buying out albeit shorter and prolly get something in return 

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I think any Dubois deal have to involve La eating 25% at around 6mil heck I would take him with his baggage.. outside of that I don’t think anyone would take him even at 7.5 although they would end up with more cap hit then they would from buying out albeit shorter and prolly get something in return 

Retainment is an option, absolutely, and they'd probably be better off going that route (as opposed to a buyout) if they could bring positive value back.

I think he'll be a King next season though, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're playing a different brand of hockey. It depends on what they do with their coaching imo, I don't think Hiller is a sure bet to hold on to the head coaching gig. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Retainment is an option, absolutely, and they'd probably be better off going that route (as opposed to a buyout) if they could bring positive value back.

I think he'll be a King next season though, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're playing a different brand of hockey. It depends on what they do with their coaching imo, I don't think Hiller is a sure bet to hold on to the head coaching gig. 

Maybe but it’s not pld’s play struggling that was worrying. It was more so his lack of effort and engagement. 

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Maybe but it’s not pld’s play struggling that was worrying. It was more so his lack of effort and engagement. 

Some of it's on him, absolutely, he's got to put in the work next season. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Vegas wants s'more of the Marshmallow?

Seems that way, it may be that Stephenson is the bigger ticket guy who walks unless they can work out some Vegas magic 

Thing about Marchessault is that he'll be 34 in December, this is likely his last deal, but it'll probably still be shorter than what Stephenson is looking for which gives Vegas cap flex sooner than later

Stephenson is 30 year-old and has put up 51, 65, and 64 points the past three seasons as more of a playmaker, this is probably his best opportunity to chase a bigger money/term deal 

@HKSR was saying he'd be an interesting fit here, and we could certainly use a playmaking type of player up front, but if he hits UFA he likely won't come cheap 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Seems that way, it may be that Stephenson is the bigger ticket guy who walks unless they can work out some Vegas magic 

Thing about Marchessault is that he'll be 34 in December, this is likely his last deal, but it'll probably still be shorter than what Stephenson is looking for which gives Vegas cap flex sooner than later

Stephenson is 30 year-old and has put up 51, 65, and 64 points the past three seasons as more of a playmaker, this is probably his best opportunity to chase a bigger money/term deal 

@HKSR was saying he'd be an interesting fit here, and we could certainly use a playmaking type of player up front, but if he hits UFA he likely won't come cheap 

Absolutely! All pending what happens with Lindholm of course.  It sounded like the Canucks and Lindholm may be re-engaging their discussions, which is promising that Elias might be coming down on his asking price to stay with this elite Canucks team.

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Absolutely! All pending what happens with Lindholm of course.  It sounded like the Canucks and Lindholm may be re-engaging their discussions, which is promising that Elias might be coming down on his asking price to stay with this elite Canucks team.

Interesting if true, he'll probably still cost more than what I'd want in a third line center, but if he stays I'm assuming they'll probably find him a spot in the top six going forward 

He's been good for us this playoffs, but I'd rather spend money on a top six winger, if they think him, Miller, or Pettersson can be that top six winger I'll have fewer concerns 

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Interesting if true, he'll probably still cost more than what I'd want in a third line center, but if he stays I'm assuming they'll probably find him a spot in the top six going forward 

He's been good for us this playoffs, but I'd rather spend money on a top six winger, if they think him, Miller, or Pettersson can be that top six winger I'll have fewer concerns 

Yeah if he stays I think it would be good to move Petey to the wing like the situation with the lottoline and have Lindholm in the middle.  It gives us the luxury of 3 top centres when we need to mess with an opposition match up game as needed.

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah if he stays I think it would be good to move Petey to the wing like the situation with the lottoline and have Lindholm in the middle.  It gives us the luxury of 3 top centres when we need to mess with an opposition match up game as needed.

It's true, although I do like the idea of Pettersson working at being a center long-term. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Lindholm, this past season has been a bit of an off season for him offensively but it's also not unusual for players to take like a year or so to adjust to a new team.