Goalie Controversy in Vancouver once again?

Tbh demko is in back to back seasons with typical tendy injuries and had hip surgery? so not only knees but his hip is susceptible to injury yes demmer when healthy is top 5 in the league but if we have found a diamond in the rough u stack ur roster and you trade demmer to NJ for a hughes you go all in on the skaters and save money running a cheap tendy prob get flamed but hey thinking outside the box 

On 5/3/2024 at 11:54 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Here we go again.  Luongo/Schneider, Markstrom/Demko.  Now Demko/Silovs.  Do we have another Vancouver goalie controversy in the making?

Demko has two years left at $5 million.  He almost won the Vezina this year.  He will want an extension in the range of 8-8.5x8 on his next retirement deal.  Can we afford to pay him that given his injury history?  Especially considering we have a potential star goalie in the making in Arturs Silovs?

I mean Silovs is barely a rookie, but he literally got a shutout in an elimination playoff game.  How many previous Canucks goalies have ever done that?  To me, he is the real deal.  Has been since he was the MVP in the World Championships.  He has everything you need to be an elite #1 goalie in the NHL.  Size, flexibility, good instincts, and most importantly he is very calm and cool in the nets.  He doesn’t flop all over the place.  He might even be more calm and cool than Demko.

Also, Silovs is going to be a cheap #1 goalie for awhile.  Which will allow us to re-sign others players to long term deals and to try and keep most of this team together for several more years.  With a cheap #1 goalie, we can easily re-sign Zadorov, Lindholm, Joshua and even Hronek to long term deals.

Let’s see what happens in round 2 with Edmonton.  If Silovs steals that series then all bets are off.  He could be the next Ken Dryden…

Demko at $5 mil is better than Silovs on $1 mil right now. But Silovs at $3 mil in 2 years is much better than Demko at $8 mil.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 5/5/2024 at 5:08 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Horvat wasn't traded before the season though it was in March when Vancouver were already effectively done. Hopefully they'll be towards the top of the Pacific in March 2026 so the comparison isn't all that relevant. Hronek still doesn't have a contract for next season, albeit he is RFA so slightly different. Got no idea how the next 12 months will pan out but I could definitely see Demko starting the 25/26 season without an extension in place and potentially leaving as a free agent. Will it happen? Fuck knows

Horvat was technically traded at the end of January.  But everyone knew he was gonna get traded, Allvin was just waiting for the best deal possible.  Worst case is he would have been dealt at the deadline.  With Demko, how do you run him on the last year of his contract?  I mean, do you trade your starting goalie at the deadline when you are a contender?  Of course not.  And you certainly don't just allow his contract to run out.  I mean you could, but this management will never do that.  They will never allow Demko to walk for nothing.

So you either sign him to a long term deal in the summer of 2025 or you trade him...

Demko will probably want max term specifically because of his injuries. Someone will give it to him but I hope its not us. There is really no point in having a star goalie if he gets injured all the time. I think he cost us a playoff spot in 2021/22. Look at us now. Here we are entering the 2nd round with our backup and Abbotsford goalie. 

It is too early to tell if Silovs is the real deal. There is no book on him yet. But either way, Demko with big money and term is problematic. 

I'd do 6-7 million over 5 years maybe. 8x8 ? no way

6 minutes ago, Blue said:

Demko will probably want max term specifically because of his injuries. Someone will give it to him but I hope its not us. There is really no point in having a star goalie if he gets injured all the time. I think he cost us a playoff spot in 2021/22. Look at us now. Here we are entering the 2nd round with our backup and Abbotsford goalie. 

It is too early to tell if Silovs is the real deal. There is no book on him yet. But either way, Demko with big money and term is problematic. 

I'd do 6-7 million over 5 years maybe. 8x8 ? no way

We also don't know if his injury will negatively impact his play in net.  Luongo's constant bellyflopping was partially due to injuries if I remember correctly.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Now if Silovs plays like this even with a 50/50 split of the net, I'd be quietly listening to offers thats coming in for Demmer. Lets just say A-level prospect, young roster player with high pedigree and a 1st rounder.... i definetly would not be hanging up the phone

Lets just say a player like Luke Hughes or Brandt Clarke is involved

Edited by filthy animal

4 minutes ago, filthy animal said:

Now if Silovs plays like this even with a 50/50 split of the net, I'd be quietly listening to offers thats coming in for Demmer. Lets just say A-level prospect, young roster player with high pedigree and a 1st rounder.... i definetly would not be hanging up the phone

lol good luck getting anything even remotely close to that offer.. goaltenders don't have much trade values... think closer to schneider.. where we got the 9th overall pick and nothing more.. you'll either get a high puck.. or a low 1st and a b prospect.. u aint' getting a 1st a prospect and a good young roster players.. goalies have way too much unknown year to year and injuries history affect them way more than a skater.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Horvat was technically traded at the end of January.  But everyone knew he was gonna get traded, Allvin was just waiting for the best deal possible.  Worst case is he would have been dealt at the deadline.  With Demko, how do you run him on the last year of his contract?  I mean, do you trade your starting goalie at the deadline when you are a contender?  Of course not.  And you certainly don't just allow his contract to run out.  I mean you could, but this management will never do that.  They will never allow Demko to walk for nothing.

So you either sign him to a long term deal in the summer of 2025 or you trade him...

You're right about the Horvat trade, dunno why I thought it was later but the point still stands. If Canucks had been towards the top of the league I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have traded away their captain so they'd either had let him walk for nothing or overpaid him a la Islanders.

Probably just going in circles here but my main point is you're talking like these things are set in stone based on very little evidence and with a huge number of variables - Demko's health/performance, Silovs' development, other goalie signings, Canucks chances at the beginning of 25/26, where they as the deadline approaches, how much Demko wants and for how long, if they actually receive any substantial offers etc.

Edited by Biff Tannen

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

you're talking like these things are set in stone based on very little evidence and with a huge number of variables

It's all fun and games until the dinner experts make an appearance...

:hurhur:

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

You're right about the Horvat trade, dunno why I thought it was later but the point still stands. If Canucks had been towards the top of the league I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have traded away their captain so they'd either had let him walk for nothing or overpaid him a la Islanders.

Probably just going in circles here but my main point is you're talking like these things are set in stone based on very little evidence and with a huge number of variables - Demko's health/performance, Silovs' development, other goalie signings, Canucks chances at the beginning of 25/26, where they as the deadline approaches, how much Demko wants and for how long, if they actually receive any substantial offers etc.

Demer at 5 mill get you good trade .Last year of contract,not much.Risk,risk,risk,but Alvin is paid for that headache.

5 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

We might not have choice.

We do. Don’t stir up shit. In 2 years yeah maybe we decide the goaltending based on cap hit, age, injuries etc 

37 minutes ago, Devron said:

We do. Don’t stir up shit. In 2 years yeah maybe we decide the goaltending based on cap hit, age, injuries etc 

I dont stir.Love Demer.But his injuries are worrisome.We are fun of our players.GM not so much.They calculate.You cant risk selling broken ferari.No buyers.

18 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

I dont stir.Love Demer.But his injuries are worrisome.We are fun of our players.GM not so much.They calculate.You cant risk selling broken ferari.No buyers.

I get it. It’s the thread that I don’t like. That and we seem to be good at creating controversy. Wait for the media to latch on. Then we boot Demko to the streets. Seen this before and it doesn’t bode well 

1 hour ago, Devron said:

I get it. It’s the thread that I don’t like. That and we seem to be good at creating controversy. Wait for the media to latch on. Then we boot Demko to the streets. Seen this before and it doesn’t bode well 

Well we cant put head in sand and pretend.It is forum,for speculation.You want to bet,if you would be Nucks GM today, you would entertain and calculate pros and cons.Common sense.

16 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Well we cant put head in sand and pretend.It is forum,for speculation.You want to bet,if you would be Nucks GM today, you would entertain and calculate pros and cons.Common sense.

Just bad mojo. Not what this team needs. We’ve had enough the last few years 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Devron said:

Just bad mojo. Not what this team needs. We’ve had enough the last few years 

All we need now is healthy goalie.We would all feel great about tomorrow if Demer is on goal.But he is not. I know what you feel,and it is in a way ugly.But that old guy up in office want Stanley and will do everything in his power to make it work.We have heart,they dont.For me personally Nucks above anyone.Little easier.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Lemon Face said:

All we need now is healthy goalie.We would all feel great about tomorrow if Demer is on goal.But he is not. I know what you feel,and it is in a way ugly.But that old guy up in office want Stanley and will do everything in his power to make it work.We have heart,they dont.For me personally Nucks above anyone.Little easier.

Sometimes we have nicer things than we realize. Brock Boeser had a lot of injury trouble and people thought he was finished too. I guess from my point of view this all way too premature. Silovs will be the backup for the next 2 years 

20 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

200.gif