Goalie Controversy in Vancouver once again?

Silovs has a strong showing in these playoffs.  He’ll be re-signed for $1M x 2-3 years and be full time backup next year to Demko.  

Demko has 2yrs left so we will see how things progress and get a longer look at Silovs in the NHL.

It’s quite possible that Demko could be traded out if a deal can’t be reached.  In that case, Canucks get cap space and draft picks/prospects to re-stock the cupboard of cheap ELC players.

Nothing will happen until next summer so enjoy the strong goaltending Canucks have for now.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

Silovs has a strong showing in these playoffs.  He’ll be re-signed for $1M x 2-3 years and be full time backup next year to Demko.  

Demko has 2yrs left so we will see how things progress and get a longer look at Silovs in the NHL.

It’s quite possible that Demko could be traded out if a deal can’t be reached.  In that case, Canucks get cap space and draft picks/prospects to re-stock the cupboard of cheap ELC players.

Nothing will happen until next summer so enjoy the strong goaltending Canucks have for now.

I agree.  Summer of 2025 is when the decision will be made.  Which means 100% Silovs will be the backup next season and get 25-30 games.  Alot of the decision will be based on the cap as well.  Can we even afford to pay Demko $8.5 million with OEL's dead cap hit of $4.8 million on the books?  At the end of the day, it's all about cap space.  Colorado didn't need a $9 million goalie to win the cup.  Neither did Vegas.  Tampa is not really a cup contender anymore but they are stuck paying Vasi $9.5 million for the next several years.  Sorokin sucked this playoffs and was taken out as the starter and his $8.25 million contract hasn't even kicked in yet.

5 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Just stop.

Vezina candidate vs young Ian Clark project who didn’t put up great numbers in AHL.  Arty is big game goalie and ready for the backup role and hopefully Demko will be held to 50 ish games next year. 
When Demko is healthy there will be no questions about putting him in 

I agree. SIlovs will likely back up Demmer next season and then we'll see what we've got. Casey will not be re-signed and will likely head back to the east coast somewhere to be closer to home....my guess would be the Devils....

I also agree with the last sentence. When he is 100%, Demmer will be back in. The good news is that Arty's play has give the Canucks the luxury of making absolutely sure that Demko's injury is fully healed.

• Cheers 1

A little shocked that DeSmith's name doesn't even appear in this thread yet

I'm inclined to believe that Alvin et al will do what they can to keep all 3 guys and let Silovs continue to develop in the AHL

I can also see a world where DeSmith is let go in favour of Silovs as back up in order to allocate cap space on the forward corps

A bit surprised to see Demko being labelled as injury prone but I guess I'm just a patient old coot

Most of all, I agree with those saying there's nothing to see here. We are experiencing an embarrassment of riches between the pipes that most other teams would give their left giraffe nut for

Kick back, smile and enjoy!

Me we keep both Demko and Silovs.

Give it a season, or send Silovs to the minors for one more year.I doubt that happens.

Think Silvos will take the job b next year and by tdl Demko will be traded.

With Demko getting hurt more then the past it might makes sense to see next year who we roll with, but makes more sense to trade Demko,then to let Silovs not get playing time.

Either way we will have a great goaltender for years to come.With trading Demko we get cap space.

This playoffs should settle if we can count on Demko staying healthy or if Silovs is ready.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Umm, we literally let Markstrom walk for free after he placed 4th in Vezina voting and allowed a 24 year old Demko with 30 games experience to be our #1 goalie.  This was after Demko played 4 playoff games.  So, what exactly is the difference?

Why the heck would we trade a 23 year old star in the making goalie who will be on a cheap contact for years to come in order to keep a guy who will be 30 years old and will want an 8.5x8 contract extension who is also injury prone and can’t stay healthy?  

And I never said Demko wasn’t good enough.  So not sure why you made that comment up.  Demko can be traded for picks and prospects or we can upgrade our top 6 forwards. Allvin would be nuts to trade Silovs.  And he won’t.  He was drafted by Vancouver just like Demko and has been developed for years now until the guidance of Ian Clark…

Didn't pink shirt man have a bad stretch in Abbotsford ? I don't pay enough attn to AHL but I do recall hearing that he was chased from the net a few times or something 

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

Me we keep both Demko and Silovs.

Give it a season, or send Silovs to the minors for one more year.I doubt that happens.

Think Silvos will take the job b next year and by tdl Demko will be traded.

With Demko getting hurt more then the past it might makes sense to see next year who we roll with, but makes more sense to trade Demko,then to let Silovs not get playing time.

Either way we will have a great goaltender for years to come.With trading Demko we get cap space.

This playoffs should settle if we can count on Demko staying healthy or if Silovs is ready.

I get the theory of trading Demko but it doesn't make sense now. 

Why wouldn't we just have a 1a and 1b with both ? Let them play 50% each or something.

But yeah , Demko's health is a huge liability. Come contract time , we don't want to give him more than 6 or so

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

who will be 30 years old and will want an 8.5x8 contract extension who is also injury prone and can’t stay healthy?  

Demko ain't no Hellebyck. I don't think he will demand 8.5 will he ? 

I was thinking more 6.5+7. There's no way I'd want him for 8+. His injuries cost us A playoff spot in 2021/22. And he could very well end up retiring early due to injuries.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Blue said:

I get the theory of trading Demko but it doesn't make sense now. 

Why wouldn't we just have a 1a and 1b with both ? Let them play 50% each or something.

But yeah , Demko's health is a huge liability. Come contract time , we don't want to give him more than 6 or so

That's why I said a year.

Silovs might be ready might not.So the future right now is Demko but if he keeps getting injured something has to be done,same with if Silovs doesn't pan out but that's every year so nothing new just lots of what ifs.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, gwarrior said:

Having 2 rockstar goalies is a nice "problem" to have. If they're smart they could move one to shore up another area we come up short.

If the answer is having two top end goalies for two seasons out me in

• Cheers 1

controversy? prolly not.. but i would explore a demko trade on his last year of his contract if Silov is up for the task.. only because Demko next contract he'll be asking for helly money.. and there's no way in hell i'd be interested in paying a goalie 8+mil (prolly even higher with cap going up) for a goalie that's going to be 31 and really in his career so far.. starts breaking down past 50 games. the one season where he started 61 games.. his last 10+ games wasn't exactly vintage demko.. and this year?? he's injured again right around the 50 game mark.. can we afford paying a goalie 8+mil for sub 50 games?? 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Didn't pink shirt man have a bad stretch in Abbotsford ? I don't pay enough attn to AHL but I do recall hearing that he was chased from the net a few times or something 

He had a tough stretch and compared to last season, was having a subpar year. 

Seems Silovs needs to be challenged... Plays better with meaningful games. 

Will be interesting to see how he plays next year during the regular season with the big Nucks or Abby. 

May be a mood point if he continues his heater and wins it all this year as the starter!! 

• Cheers 1

Next season, Demko will be the starter and Silovs his backup.  Finally, the Canucks will be

able to rest Demko during the season without worrying the team will start losing games.

Silovs it too young to push him into a situation he's not ready for.  I would like to see how

he does with 30 NHL games in a season.

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We don’t have a few years. Demko will be up for an extension next summer as he’s in the last year of his deal. So you either re-sign him to an 8.5x8 contract or you trade him. He’ll want a NMC as well. So the decision will need to be made next summer. 

It’s great that Silovs will be the backup next season. Just like Schneider was the backup. But eventually a decision needs to be made in 2025. With Demko needing a new contract the decision will need to be made sooner rather than later. Also, Silovs is already 23. He’ll be 24 next summer. The same age that Demko became a full time starter. 

He's not though is he? Unless you mean he'll be entering the last year of his contract next summer in which case that's a confusing way to word it.

Demko's on a relatively bargain contract for 2 more years, no idea how his body will be holding up by then or how Silovs will develop in that time. I like Silovs and personally I'd be up for risking him being the full time backup next season but wouldn't surprise me if they sign a more experienced placeholder or bring back DeSmith. Calling this a controversy is premature and hyperbolic. Currently Silovs is closer to DiPietro than Schneider.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

We have a 28 year old Vezina finalist in the prime of his career signed for 2 more seasons at 5M. And we have an extremely  promising young possible replacement just finishing his ELC, who looks ready to be the back up, and who will be cheap to resign.

So for the next couple of years, while our core is in their prime, we have extremely high quality goaltending for about $6M/year. How on earth is this a problem? 

We are miles (kilometers?) away from a “goaltending controversy”. But sadly I think Casey will be looking for work soon. He did a great job for us. Not only that but we were able to get rid of Tanner’s contract. 

On 5/4/2024 at 12:28 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

We don’t have a few years. Demko will be up for an extension next summer as he’s in the last year of his deal. So you either re-sign him to an 8.5x8 contract or you trade him. He’ll want a NMC as well. So the decision will need to be made next summer. 

It’s great that Silovs will be the backup next season. Just like Schneider was the backup. But eventually a decision needs to be made in 2025. With Demko needing a new contract the decision will need to be made sooner rather than later. Also, Silovs is already 23. He’ll be 24 next summer. The same age that Demko became a full time starter. 

Demko doesn't need a new deal next year.   We have cost control over his future for two seasons.   Yes the talks can start after next year is done, and maybe they will start the process a little earlier.    His deal runs out 25/26.    The year after that is QHs deal.     This does have the look of tough decision making.   Especially given it happens during the worst OEL cap hit years. 

As for Silovs, sure hope he makes things awfully hard for Allvin.    Good Dryden reference too.   Was thinking about that on a different thread... Roy and Dryden, two guys that started like a bang and never looked back. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Demko doesn't need a new deal next year.   We have cost control over his future for two seasons.   Yes the talks can start after next year is done, and maybe they will start the process a little earlier.    His deal runs out 25/26.    The year after that is QHs deal.     This does have the look of tough decision making.   Especially given it happens during the worst OEL cap hit years. 

As for Silovs, sure hope he makes things awfully hard for Allvin.    Good Dryden reference too.   Was thinking about that on a different thread... Roy and Dryden, two guys that started like a bang and never looked back. 

Allvin is not going to go into the 2025 season with Demko on the last year of his contract. That contract will need to be extended in the summer of 2025. Same thing happened with Miller and Horvat. Horvat’s contract didn’t get done so he was traded. 

Same thing happened with Petey this year. His contract was done well before the last year of his deal. JR is also on the record as stating that Hronek’s deal will need to get done this summer or else he might get traded too. 

Bottom line is this management group doesn’t wait for contracts to expire. They are pro active. They will be dealing with Demko’s contract in the summer of 2025. So one more year before a decision will be made. If Silovs is lights out next season and if Demko is looking for Hellebuyck money, then most likely Demko gets traded for assets before his contract expires. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Desmenko 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Allvin is not going to go into the 2025 season with Demko on the last year of his contract. That contract will need to be extended in the summer of 2025. Same thing happened with Miller and Horvat. Horvat’s contract didn’t get done so he was traded. 

Same thing happened with Petey this year. His contract was done well before the last year of his deal. JR is also on the record as stating that Hronek’s deal will need to get done this summer or else he might get traded too. 

Bottom line is this management group doesn’t wait for contracts to expire. They are pro active. They will be dealing with Demko’s contract in the summer of 2025. So one more year before a decision will be made. If Silovs is lights out next season and if Demko is looking for Hellebuyck money, then most likely Demko gets traded for assets before his contract expires. 

Horvat wasn't traded before the season though it was in March when Vancouver were already effectively done. Hopefully they'll be towards the top of the Pacific in March 2026 so the comparison isn't all that relevant. Hronek still doesn't have a contract for next season, albeit he is RFA so slightly different. Got no idea how the next 12 months will pan out but I could definitely see Demko starting the 25/26 season without an extension in place and potentially leaving as a free agent. Will it happen? Fuck knows

• Cheers 1