Petey do we really need him?

ep needs a player that can get the puck to him.. its pretty obvious after last night.. hoglander is not it.. hoglander is a hard nose player that goes to the dirty area and the net.. but offensive awareness nowing where the player is and his passing ability simply is not good enough.. how many times last night did he not notice EP ahead of him with speed and turned around with the puck or passed it to no where? mikheyev is kinda the same.. 1 of them is ok if the other can get the puck to ep.. problem right now is we have 2 of them together.. neither can get the puck to EP when he is open.

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

ep needs a player that ...

No.
@11.6M x8, you don't NEED a player to do anything. You ARE the player who makes other people around you better. 
Barzal and a 1st (or a high profile prospect)  for Petey, we re talking.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, DexM94 said:

No.
@11.6M x8, you don't NEED a player to do anything. You ARE the player who makes other people around you better. 

FA8A189A-BE8E-41D7-AC90-10069DD53AAC.gif.6ade2762cefb6503479a9e2984dffeb5.gif

• Haha 2

Well I’d like to give the benefit of doubt that he is lacking right now because of his linemates. Mikheyev has hands of stone that make Jannik Hansen look like Gretzky. 
Hoglander although tenacious has also been held off the score sheet. They need to move Mikheyev this off season and bring in a proven winger.

11 hours ago, ABNuck said:

If J.Hughes, Barzal or Stutzle was to be coming back our way, well, I think it'd be hard to say no don't you think? 

JH - 8.00 X 6

MB - 9.15 X 7

TS - 8.35 X 7

Petey's at 11.600 x 8 soooo...the math maths better.

I’m only listening if it’s Jack

6 hours ago, DexM94 said:

No.

If that’s the case than why isn’t mackinnon playing with 1mil cap hit players? Or players with no offensive awareness? Why is he playing with a 9.5 and a 5.5 mil player when he’s already making 12.6? Why not put rantanen on the 2nd line by himself to spread the offence? Why not put kucherov with 3rd and 4th line plugs and spread the scoring since he will continue to be a 140+ points player playing with no talents according to you. Barzal who have he made better? Horvat? He’s literally the same production as he was before. 

22 hours ago, Falcons said:

There are some key players that have showed up in these playoffs and will be ufa’s this year and next.

Lindholm,Joshua,Zadorov,Boeser

Blueger,Myers

Should the Canucks shop Petey for a trade ( salary dump) if needed to keep these players on the team?

No.  Not only because I agree with others that he'll find his game.  He'll also work on strength this summer. Even though I think he will never be able to grow his bones much more. His structure is on a thin frame. That will never change.  He won't put on 40 lbs of muscle because there is nothing to hang it on.  He has to develop to be wirey strong, not bulk strong.  He, like Gretzky, has to learn how to avoid checks.  And leave the big hits to Z and co.

But also...even if management were that fickle to immediately trade him away right after signing a huge contract, if Petey does not improve this playoffs to a 11.6 value, good luck in what you will get back.  And you just know that with Canuck Luck, he will turn it around on his new team and lay a beating down on the Canucks every time he plays us.

I personally thought it was wrong to sign him before the Summer.   Hated that the media just pounded the pressure with fake stories about Petey leaving if we didn't sign him NOW.  Even though Petey himself never had that in his mind at all.  Waiting until the Summer would have honoured Petey's wishes, AND would have given management the opportunity to watch him in this years playoffs.  I think Petey wanted to play with less pressure and to prove he was worth the big  bucks as a personal challenge for the post season.  So it went from a personal challenge to the pressure of living up to the highest paid player on the team overnight.  I suspect we'd see a better version of Petey if he hadn't signed before he wanted to.

And if he, gawd forbid, underperforms all the way through, then management could have made a lower offer.  Benning f'd up as usual and crammed the cap full of scrubs or we could have had him for 7x7 a few years ago.  I think Petey is actually more like a $10 mill player, but whatever. Sometimes ya just gotta overpay to have nice things.  Oops, am I getting too negative? Sorry.  I'll conclude by saying I have still high hopes for Petey. He's still relatively young. He'll learn how to adapt and train his body the best way to fight through games when they get more physical. I really think he still needs to find linemates that he can work with.  I pray that will happen next season at least.

19 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

It is tempting to call these shows up and rub it in... but probably best to let them sit in their own self-created sh*t for a while and contemplate the error of their ways.

Put our energy into positivity for the Canucks.  😉

Exactly this. Plus, it will be so much more satisfying to see their fans self sabotage by ripping into each other and falling into chaos once we beat them tonight. 

I would actually love to get out from under that contract 8x11.6 

Gimme a Barzal or something @8M

Not Barzal in particular but a good top end forward. Rhinehart in Fla maybe.

No offense to Petie but that contract reminds me of Luongo's contract.

Look at TO and their big contract guys.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kilgore said:

No.  Not only because I agree with others that he'll find his game.  He'll also work on strength this summer. Even though I think he will never be able to grow his bones much more. His structure is on a thin frame. That will never change.  He won't put on 40 lbs of muscle because there is nothing to hang it on.  He has to develop to be wirey strong, not bulk strong.  He, like Gretzky, has to learn how to avoid checks.  And leave the big hits to Z and co.

But also...even if management were that fickle to immediately trade him away right after signing a huge contract, if Petey does not improve this playoffs to a 11.6 value, good luck in what you will get back.  And you just know that with Canuck Luck, he will turn it around on his new team and lay a beating down on the Canucks every time he plays us.

I personally thought it was wrong to sign him before the Summer.   Hated that the media just pounded the pressure with fake stories about Petey leaving if we didn't sign him NOW.  Even though Petey himself never had that in his mind at all.  Waiting until the Summer would have honoured Petey's wishes, AND would have given management the opportunity to watch him in this years playoffs.  I think Petey wanted to play with less pressure and to prove he was worth the big  bucks as a personal challenge for the post season.  So it went from a personal challenge to the pressure of living up to the highest paid player on the team overnight.  I suspect we'd see a better version of Petey if he hadn't signed before he wanted to.

And if he, gawd forbid, underperforms all the way through, then management could have made a lower offer.  Benning f'd up as usual and crammed the cap full of scrubs or we could have had him for 7x7 a few years ago.  I think Petey is actually more like a $10 mill player, but whatever. Sometimes ya just gotta overpay to have nice things.  Oops, am I getting too negative? Sorry.  I'll conclude by saying I have still high hopes for Petey. He's still relatively young. He'll learn how to adapt and train his body the best way to fight through games when they get more physical. I really think he still needs to find linemates that he can work with.  I pray that will happen next season at least.

i think petey had a monster offseason before last year. he looked very strong on his skates, had added bulk, and just dominated.

wonder if he took it a bit easier this past summer thinking he had it in the bag. 

i think this next season we see the most beast petey we've seen yet

the biggest things?

1. if he can add 10-15lbs, it would make a world of difference

2. if he can add a tiny bit of acceleration. hes already fast, but just a bit more. 

both those things will help him generate all the space he needs. 

that, and we need to put another offensive threat on his line so he doesnt get swarmed. nobodys afraid of mikheyev.

if we can bring back toffoli and put him on peteys wing, thats a line i think that opponents would have to respect the dual threat

• Like 1

Honestly, I been anti-Lotto line cause it hasn't really helped Petey the last few times they've tried it. But it literally can't be worse than him floundering with Mikheyev and Hogs. Put Suter back there and let them just be a solid checking line. Try get Petey going. Get some confidence in his game. Guy was streaking towards the net by himself last game and Hogs spins back for some reason and a glorious scoring chance turns into nothing. Stick him with actual top 6 players. He's not prime Crosby who can stick anyone you find outta the NCAA into a good top 6 player.

Posted (edited)

The ‘A’ unit ? You mean the first  unit? Geez 

wrong thread geez 

lagging site and bounced around lol

Edited by NucksFan