[PGT] Shitmonton at Vancouver - Round 2 - Game 2

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

I’m good with this. Even just one game. Cole can be great defensively. Probably could just use a night off being 35 

Not the end of the world. We'll get them in their barn. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Exactly... from my perspective, that is a deliberate attempt to injure.

going in with the skate/blade like that is a dirtbag move. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Gut-wrenching loss. Here are my comments.

1. Tocchet stayed with Silovs a game too long. There is no way that OT goal should score. Cole appeared to deflect it in but that was after Silovs missed it. Both guys made bad plays. And, while the other goals were on good chances, and Silovs made some big saves, it would not have been too much to hope for Silovs to come up with one more big save in regulation so Vancouver could steal the game. 

2. Edmonton had 3.74 expected goals tonight, so Silovs was close to "expected" overall, which is not bad. After the last game a lot of people, including me, thought DeSmith should start  but Tochett did not want to break up a winning team. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it.) Okay, but now that the Canucks have lost. Time to make a change.

3. Tocchet also probably stayed a game too long with Cole. Not only did Cole apparently score an own-goal in OT to lose the game, but he also had (another) bad game in general. He had the worst expected goal share on the team, despite not particularly tough minutes (Soucy and Myers had the primary shutdown duty against McDavid). The problem is that I am not so confident that Juulsen can handle the Oilers. He made a lot of progress this year and I like him, but he struggled in the one game he played against Nashville and he does not match up well against Edmonton. 

4. The game started great, with Petey scoring on a one-timer on the PP. Great for Petey, great for the PP, and great for the team.  And Petey's line (with Mik and Hoggy) did  well at 5-on-5, with a 6-2 scoring chance differential (although with relatively soft minutes).  But I am getting tired of saying the Mikheyev needs to actually do something on offence. He is responsible defensively but it looks like he will never score again (despite a cap hit of 4.75 million).

5. McDavid, unfortunately, had a great game, with 4 pts. The Canucks mainly played the Miller line and Soucy and Myers against him. And the McDavid line did not actually score with those 5 guys all on the ice, although the ice was strongly titled in Edmonton's favor. The McDavid line did score in other situations. Edmonton was a one-line team tonight. McDavid, Draistaitl, and Hyman played together (over 18 minutes at 5-on-5, which is a huge number) and Edmonton won the scoring chance battle 18-1 with them on the ice. The Canucks "won" pretty easily against the rest of the line-up.

6. Have to mention Hughes, who had another very good game, despite getting high-sticked by McDavid. The referees missed the call but they were not bad overall. I was nervous with Sutherland reffing the game and I cannot understand why the NHL assigns him to Canuck playoff games given the history. But he was not the reason the Canucks lost tonight.

7. Have to give credit to the team overall for another tough, gritty performance (19 shot blocks, 43 hits!). Edmonton came out firing on all cylinders tonight and the Canucks still could have won this game.

8. It is not a surprise that Edmonton came out strong tonight. Now it is up to Tocchet to make some adjustments. But this is where losing Demmer really hurts. Edmonton is always going to generate a lot of scoring chances and the Canucks need high quality goaltending to have a good chance. I assume DeSmith will play the next game and let's hope he comes up big.

I'm not sure what you think silovs should have done.  That shot wasn't on net and had cole not touched it, it would have gone wide.  As a goalie you make plays on picks between the posts and if it's not, then you leave it.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

So you just say "I guess that's the way it is" and throw in the towel?  I agree game to game is huge, but in a series where every game is critical, you can't afford not to make adjustments, imo.

We were at worst tied in this game. You don't make in game adjustment in that situation that could make things worse. If we were down by like two goals or so then a coach should make in game adjustments as there is nothing to lose.

Blaming Toch on no in game adjustments in this game is nonsensical. The prove will be what adjustment he makes for next game.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, 24K said:

We were at worst tied in this game. You don't make in game adjustment in that situation that could make things worse. If we were down by like two goals or so then a coach should make in game adjustments as there is nothing to lose.

Blaming Toch on no in game adjustments in this game is nonsensical. The prove will be what adjustment he makes for next game.

The shots were 15-2 in the third and McD and Drai were out every second shift.  He needed to come up with a better strategy to deal with that, in game.  That's, literally, his job description 

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

The refs have tools to make a correct call especially when someone is leaking blood namely calling a major then reviewing it to get the call correct and/or reviewing it with the linesmen, he choose neither them proceeded to throw Hughes of the ice for bleeding. That is 100% pure incompetence and there is no excuse for it. Bottom line, Sutherland is an inept official and it’s sad he’s allowed to work any meaningful games.

A missed call, for sure, but that didn't lose them the game, in any way.  You can't play like that and expect to win, especially against the oilers 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Not the end of the world. We'll get them in their barn. 

good attitude to have. in the grand scheme of things so far this year we have beat the 5 times out of 6 and the 6th time took them to OT with McDavid doing everything possible on the score board and in the refs ear.

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

A missed call, for sure, but that didn't lose them the game, in any way.  You can't play like that and expect to win, especially against the oilers 

A missed call? A? SINGLE? What game were you watching?

Just now, stawns said:

The shots were 15-2 in the third and McD and Drai were out every second shift.  He needed to come up with a better strategy to deal with that, in game.  That's, literally, his job description 

You can't come up with strategy to counter that on the spot without studying tape. All in game adjustments are gut feels and throwing things at the wall to see if it sticks. It is dumb to do that when you are still leading or tied. Number of shots doesn't matter, the score does. 

Just now, stawns said:

It’s not just a missed call, he neglected the resources he had to get the call correct but chose not to use them.Thats incompetence.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

The victimhood is as expected and the head victim isn't even here 

and you hanging around a loss like this to talk down to everyone as if you somehow know better is as expected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I wonder what our prize is for 10. Another draft lottery where we drop 3 spots?

Hughes' autographed cracked helmet from when he hit his head on the ice on Kane's uncalled slewfoot tonight.

Just now, 24K said:

You can't come up with strategy to counter that on the spot without studying tape. All in game adjustments are gut feels and throwing things at the wall to see if it sticks. It is dumb to do that when you are still leading or tied. Number of shots doesn't matter, the score does. 

Do you really think coaches don't and aren't expected to coach in game?  What do you consider line matching to be?

2 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Gut-wrenching loss. Here are my comments.

1. Tocchet stayed with Silovs a game too long. There is no way that OT goal should score. Cole appeared to deflect it in but that was after Silovs missed it. Both guys made bad plays. And, while the other goals were on good chances, and Silovs made some big saves, it would not have been too much to hope for Silovs to come up with one more big save in regulation so Vancouver could steal the game. 

2. Edmonton had 3.74 expected goals tonight, so Silovs was close to "expected" overall, which is not bad. After the last game a lot of people, including me, thought DeSmith should start  but Tochett did not want to break up a winning team. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it.) Okay, but now that the Canucks have lost. Time to make a change.

3. Tocchet also probably stayed a game too long with Cole. Not only did Cole apparently score an own-goal in OT to lose the game, but he also had (another) bad game in general. He had the worst expected goal share on the team, despite not particularly tough minutes (Soucy and Myers had the primary shutdown duty against McDavid). The problem is that I am not so confident that Juulsen can handle the Oilers. He made a lot of progress this year and I like him, but he struggled in the one game he played against Nashville and he does not match up well against Edmonton. 

4. The game started great, with Petey scoring on a one-timer on the PP. Great for Petey, great for the PP, and great for the team.  And Petey's line (with Mik and Hoggy) did  well at 5-on-5, with a 6-2 scoring chance differential (although with relatively soft minutes).  But I am getting tired of saying the Mikheyev needs to actually do something on offence. He is responsible defensively but it looks like he will never score again (despite a cap hit of 4.75 million).

5. McDavid, unfortunately, had a great game, with 4 pts. The Canucks mainly played the Miller line and Soucy and Myers against him. And the McDavid line did not actually score with those 5 guys all on the ice, although the ice was strongly titled in Edmonton's favor. The McDavid line did score in other situations. Edmonton was a one-line team tonight. McDavid, Draistaitl, and Hyman played together (over 18 minutes at 5-on-5, which is a huge number) and Edmonton won the scoring chance battle 18-1 with them on the ice. The Canucks "won" pretty easily against the rest of the line-up.

6. Have to mention Hughes, who had another very good game, despite getting high-sticked by McDavid. The referees missed the call but they were not bad overall. I was nervous with Sutherland reffing the game and I cannot understand why the NHL assigns him to Canuck playoff games given the history. But he was not the reason the Canucks lost tonight.

7. Have to give credit to the team overall for another tough, gritty performance (19 shot blocks, 43 hits!). Edmonton came out firing on all cylinders tonight and the Canucks still could have won this game.

8. It is not a surprise that Edmonton came out strong tonight. Now it is up to Tocchet to make some adjustments. But this is where losing Demmer really hurts. Edmonton is always going to generate a lot of scoring chances and the Canucks need high quality goaltending to have a good chance. I assume DeSmith will play the next game and let's hope he comes up big.

I agree that Coles needs to sit next game. Juulsen in.

I disagree about Silovs. He actually stopped a lot of shots in the 3rd period as the team went into a defensive shell. I don't see DeSmith as being an advantage, but it's possible he will go in game 3. 

The main reason they lost the game is what Tocchet called "playing hot potato". The entire 3rd period they went into a passive shell and stopped making offensive plays. They got the puck and just tossed it out, which often didn't actually get out of their zone so they were stuck in their own zone chasing Edmonton players. 

On the final play, the Canucks continued to play hot potato hockey and tossed the puck into the Edmonton zone. NO ONE went into chase the puck and instead sat back and let McDavid gain speed into the red zone.

You can't play afraid or you'll lose. The Canucks played scared for the 3rd and the overtime and they lost. If they go into that passive shell in Edmonton they will be out in 5. They can beat Edmonton, because Skinner hasn't been good and their D aren't great, but without shots they won't win. Shots in 3rd period were 15 to 2

• Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

The poster was referencing that specific play and I agreed with him

Are you suggesting that if the blatant missed calls were called, the outcome would be the same? 6+ more penalty minutes wouldn't have changed anything?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

It’s not just a missed call, he neglected the resources he had to get the call correct but chose not to use them.Thats incompetence.

You know he's not the only official on the ice, right?   

And I agree, it was a missed call

• Like 1