[Speculation] Bruins announcer Jack Edwards finished in Boston?

Rumor: Bruins announcer Jack Edwards finished in Boston?

The long time voice of the Boston Bruins may be on the verge of being replaced in the broadcast booth.

Ask fans around the National Hockey League about Boston Bruins announcer Jack Edwards and you'll quickly learn that the voice of the Boston Bruins is a very polarizing figure. Ask fans in Boston about him him though and you'll get a lot more positive responses with Edwards being a beloved figure within a large segment of the Boston Bruins fan base.

That's why it came as something of a shock today to learn that the Bruins may be seriously considering replacing Edwards in the broadcast booth.

It all began with a report from ESPN's Shukri Wrights, who on Sunday reported that the Boston Bruins are falling in love with broadcaster Alex Faust who is currently replacing Edwards as the voice of the Bruins. Most believed that Faust was only filling in for Edwards on a temporary basis, but that may not actually be the case.

A report from Jimmy Murphy of Boston Hockey Now has indicated that Faust's role as a fill in for Edwards may be more than simply temporary.

"He may become much more than a fill-in, from what I am told," wrote Murphy on Sunday.

Edwards has never been one to shy away from controversy and was involved in a few last season, including one appearance in the broadcast booth in which many observers felt that Edwards may have been intoxicated. There was also an incident in which Edwards was very insulting towards Tampa Bay Lightning enforcer Pat Maroon, an incident that Edwards would later apologize for.

It may very well be that a combination of all these factors could lead to a change in the Bruins broadcast booth, but nothing official has been announced as of yet.

Jonathan Larrivee

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/rumor-bruins-announcer-jack-edwards-finished-in-boston

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Snoop Hogg said:

I would rather listen to @Alflives do play by play after all his bottles of scotch are empty.

It's jarring.  He was in and out of competence during the broadcast.  MSG was simulcasting the Boston feed.  I had the game showing on my other computer monitor and I  muted it after the 1st period.

I watched the late Rick Jeanneret decline after he successfully fought his cancer and even in the end, a little over a year before he passed away, and his decline was very noticeable, he was still better than Edwards is now.

I never liked Edwards but it's sad to see a grown man go out this way.  RJ's long fight for his life took a lot from him physically and mentally.  Edwards sadly only really has his drinking to blame and that's a self-inflicted wound.

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

It's jarring.  He was in and out of competence during the broadcast.  MSG was simulcasting the Boston feed.  I had the game showing on my other computer monitor and I  muted it after the 1st period.

I watched the late Rick Jeanneret decline after he successfully fought his cancer and even in the end, a little over a year before he passed away, and his decline was very noticeable, he was still better than Edwards is now.

I never liked Edwards but it's sad to see a grown man go out this way.  RJ's long fight for his life took a lot from him physically and mentally.  Edwards sadly only really has his drinking to blame and that's a self-inflicted wound.

I completely agree, but also, at least @Alflives would be entertaining!

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You're back!!!

I was upset in the way you left. 

Next time we play Buffalo I got your back if things get sour.  Sabres are our fraternal twin-franchise.  Just the uglier looking twin. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

You're back!!!

I was upset in the way you left. 

Next time we play Buffalo I got your back if things get sour.  Sabres are our fraternal twin-franchise.  Just the uglier looking twin. 

That day wasn't the only reason I left.  It had been coming for a while.  What happened during the game just made it painfully obvious that I no longer belonged on CDC.

If I hadn't checked r/canucks on Reddit for preseason news, I never would have known otherwise that CDC was being killed by the team execs.

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

That day wasn't the only reason I left.  It had been coming for a while.  What happened during the game just made it painfully obvious that I no longer belonged on CDC.

If I hadn't checked r/canucks on Reddit for preseason news, I never would have known otherwise that CDC was being killed by the team execs.

Still though I went back and read that GDT and peeps were relentless. Especially those you wouldn't expect it from. 

Nevertheless the Sabres have definitely created a very good foundation for themselves. You guys killed it last year offensively. Just need a G and make improvements overall defensively/PK. That will come with age and some veteran additions. I am sure once the stars are locked up you'll be further improving. 

You also have most your picks and a good prospect pool so if the right stud becomes available you might be in the runnings of getting them.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Jeanneret was the best to ever do it in my opinion (although Vancouver has also been blessed with some greats).

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Still though I went back and read that GDT and peeps were relentless. Especially those you wouldn't expect it from. 

Nevertheless the Sabres have definitely created a very good foundation for themselves. You guys killed it last year offensively. Just need a G and make improvements overall defensively/PK. That will come with age and some veteran additions. I am sure once the stars are locked up you'll be further improving. 

You also have most your picks and a good prospect pool so if the right stud becomes available you might be in the runnings of getting them.

Devon Levi is going to be a stud goaltender.  The Sabres just need to improve the 3rd pairing and they'll be a complete team. 

Hopefully the GM can trade Olofsson for a solid bottom pairing d-man.

• Cheers 1