B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, moosehead said:

NDP and Greens have been vote splitting for years.  High time that the Lieberals feel the pain of vote splitting now with the Cons.

Will make the playiing field more even ////

How's the vote splitting between the greens and the NDP ever cost the NDP seats? Serious question I don't really follow BC politics all that much.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

How's the vote splitting between the greens and the NDP ever cost the NDP seats? Serious question I don't really follow BC politics all that much.

Green have taken seats in Victoria i think that would have gone NDP......

Federally obviiously...   Greens and NDP take votes away from Liberals.....

I just don't like Conservative social policy....  Economically i am pretty centre... I just go a bit left on social policy.   Don't like to see government get involved in peoples personal / private lives...

Greens last won in Cowichan, Saanich and New West....     Probably all would go NDP otherwise..

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, moosehead said:

I just don't like Conservative social policy....  Economically i am pretty centre... I just go a bit left on social policy.   Don't like to see government get involved in peoples personal / private lives...

Greens last won in Cowichan, Saanich and New West....     Probably all would go NDP otherwise..

It's a really time consuming thing to do, but maybe I will look into the greens and the NDP federally to see if they also take seats from the liberals. Sometimes I know in places the liberals and NDP will finish one and two, but I do wonder if they've ever taken enough votes to put a conservative in that riding federally. Appreciate your response on the BC outlook

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, moosehead said:

Let's not compare federal to provincial in this case. It was asked when in BC this has happened.

I can see Victoria, but outside of that, it's hardly even worth mentioning. Compare that with BC United and Conservatives where almost the entire inland and northern parts of the province are likely to see the results. I'm pretty sure in the next election you'll find your comparison not very... fair, but time will tell obviously.

I still think cheering for this vote splitting is like asking for a match and giving it to your kid thinking nothing could ever go wrong with that.

16 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's a really time consuming thing to do, but maybe I will look into the greens and the NDP federally to see if they also take seats from the liberals. Sometimes I know in places the liberals and NDP will finish one and two, but I do wonder if they've ever taken enough votes to put a conservative in that riding federally. Appreciate your response on the BC outlook

I see Federally  66 riding  that conservative won last election - they did not get 50% of votes in the ridings. 

Likely many would have been lost if vote splitting had not happened with Liberals / NDP / Greens...  

How many exactly is hard to know as vote spliting is hard to precisely pin down... but likely some would have been lost i would thinkl

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I heard he loves snow!

According to the Farmer's Almanac, Buffalo is in for a long and cold winter with a decent amount of snow to boot.  Arctic/Canadian wind blows over a warm Lake Erie and we get dumped on hard.  🫥

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I heard he loves snow!

Also, you posted this in BC Politics instead of the signing thread... lol

• Cheers 1

I mean, if it's cold out or you're a woman, this is a good thing.  Just ask any female how to deal with something like a tampon when all ya got are Porta potty.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10029078/bc-flush-toilets-construction/

B.C. to require flush toilets on construction sites with more than 25 workers

On 10/11/2023 at 8:42 PM, Sabrefan1 said:

According to the Farmer's Almanac, Buffalo is in for a long and cold winter with a decent amount of snow to boot.  Arctic/Canadian wind blows over a warm Lake Erie and we get dumped on hard.  🫥

Yep....cold air in the winter and smoke in the summer....

We're not sending you our best.....just like Mexico....

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I mean, if it's cold out or you're a woman, this is a good thing.  Just ask any female how to deal with something like a tampon when all ya got are Porta potty.

The cost will just get factored into the estimate for the job.  So on a provincial jobsite, like a large scale road or building job, B.C. taxpayers will foot the bill.  On a large scale private job, the end consumer(s) will foot the bill on the increase.

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The cost will just get factored into the estimate for the job.  So on a provincial jobsite, like a large scale road or building job, B.C. taxpayers will foot the bill.  On a large scale private job, the end consumer(s) will foot the bill on the increase.

Quebec has this since 2015.  Other industries like film regularly provide it on larger shoots.  And the cost probably won't add much to the cost of larger construction sites.  I don't see it costing so much that it significantly increases the cost of a construction project.   If I was a project manager, I'd look into what it costs in Quebec to see if prices are competitive or gouging.  

12 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

One thing about the BC NDP....they really know their sh!t....

• Haha 2

I am curious if anyone has heard or seen anything from Sonia Furstenau. She represents the riding for Cowichan Valley on the island AND is the leader of the BC Green Party.

I have not seen or heard anything from her in a long long time. 

I wish the Cowichan Valley had better representation, someone on the Government Benches to work for Valley folks towards Valley goals.

30 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

My guess is that's going to depend on the bidding war. If there's a bidding war, the cost of the toilets might be something the construction company takes this hit with after all. Obviously, this depends on if they follow through on their initial bid mind you, but we can't ignore that there is competition out there for a lot of these high end construction contracts.

Edited by The Lock

4 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Quebec has this since 2015.  Other industries like film regularly provide it on larger shoots.  And the cost probably won't add much to the cost of larger construction sites.  I don't see it costing so much that it significantly increases the cost of a construction project.   If I was a project manager, I'd look into what it costs in Quebec to see if prices are competitive or gouging.  

The cost will be pretty minimal.  Also, a jobsite with at least 25 people is already a multi-million dollar project so the extra cost will be negligible.  I'm now curious if they make flushable porta-potties, but I don't want to Google it for fear of the image part of the search at the top of the page.  😂

4 hours ago, The Lock said:

My guess is that's going to depend on the bidding war. If there's a bidding war, the cost of the toilets might be something the construction company takes this hit with after all. Obviously, this depends on if they follow through on their initial bid mind you, but we can't ignore that there is competition out there for a lot of these high end construction contracts.

Not sure how BC does it, but in New York, there's only 1 round of "best bids".  You have to factor in everything, including your percentage markup on materials which will constitute your profit.  Anything extra after the fact has to be approved by the state's on-site engineer.

Here's an NYS page with the results of a few construction single round job bids from earlier this year.

https://www.thruway.ny.gov/business/contractors/bidresults/index.shtml

Edited by Sabrefan1

This type of thing was my biggest concern when working in the oil sands. I was making big money but when at work living like a pauper. The only place I ever found thinner toilet paper was the Kelowna hospital. 

Edited by Spur1

• 1 month later...

Mayor of Surrey, B.C., announces constitutional challenge to province's suspension of police board

Brenda Locke says city will do 'everything within reason' to stop transition from RCMP to municipal force

The Canadian Press · Posted: Nov 20, 2023 11:47 AM PST | Last Updated: 3 hours ago
A composite of a balding man and a woman with blond hair.
Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth and Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke have engaged in multiple back-and-forth discussions over the last nine months as city council voted to halt the transition to a municipal police department. (Ben Nelms/CBC)

The mayor of Surrey, B.C., says the city will mount a constitutional challenge to the province's appointment of an administrator to take over the police board and oversee the transition to a municipal police force.

Brenda Locke, who opposes the transition, says an amended court petition will be filed Monday, after the city already requested a judicial review of the province's directive to proceed with the move away from the RCMP.

On Thursday, Solicitor General Mike Farnworth announced he had suspended the Surrey Police Board and appointed former Abbotsford chief constable Mike Serr to take over.

Locke told a news conference at Surrey City Hall on Monday that the city will not approve any transition if it is unaffordable to taxpayers and the province has no right to run "roughshod" over any municipal government "that does not bend to their will."

WATCH | Locke explains why Surrey continues to oppose B.C. over policing in the city:

BrendaLocke.jpg?crop=1.777xh:h;*,*&downs

City of Surrey to further challenge B.C. in court over police transition legislation, police board suspension

4 hours ago
Duration2:11
Mayor Brenda Locke says she will do everything in her power to keep the RCMP as the police of jurisdiction in Surrey and defy the province's push to transition to the Surrey Police Service.

She says the city will do "everything within reason" to stop the transition, saying it could leave residents facing a 20 per cent tax hike, and adding that the costs would not be a one-time increase but "generational."

Locke also released an email she sent to Farnworth in which she described the appointment of an administrator as "objectionable,'' saying it was done without any consultation or notice to the city.

"This is not a Surrey Police Service, this as an NDP police service that reports to the solicitor general directly," Locke said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/brenda-locke-constitutional-challenge-provincial-legislation-police-transition-1.7033980

I was originally going to say, "Yo, Surrey has no specific constitutional rights under the Canadian Constitution"... then I realized after some digging that there was a BC Constitution that was an updated version of the BC Terms of Union, a document originally captured when BC joined Canada in 1871, and that this provincial version was likely the "constitutiton" that Surrey's mayor is seeking to challenge for the police service brouhaha.

I haven't read the BC Constitution Act, so I have no idea if she has any grounds to file a challenge.  Regardless, 

dis-gon-be-good-this-gonna-be-good.gif

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/brenda-locke-constitutional-challenge-provincial-legislation-police-transition-1.7033980

I was originally going to say, "Yo, Surrey has no specific constitutional rights under the Canadian Constitution"... then I realized after some digging that there was a BC Constitution that was an updated version of the BC Terms of Union, a document originally captured when BC joined Canada in 1871, and that this provincial version was likely the "constitutiton" that Surrey's mayor is seeking to challenge for the police service brouhaha.

I haven't read the BC Constitution Act, so I have no idea if she has any grounds to file a challenge.  Regardless, 

dis-gon-be-good-this-gonna-be-good.gif

pretty gangster move by the NDP to force this on Surrey :classic_ninja:

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Perhaps, but it's also a pretty important "shit or get off the pot" moment for their city council too.

dunno, this is the kind of move the Liberals would have been torched for. Feels like overreach to force this on Surry voters if they don't want it. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

dunno, this is the kind of move the Liberals would have been torched for. Feels like overreach to force this on Surry voters if they don't want it. 

The guys in government likely weighed the possible political blowback from this in their considerations.  Last thing I think they'd want though is a situation where unclear jurisdiction or undefined mandate creates an inability for either police force to enforce the law.