B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The guys in government likely weighed the possible political blowback from this in their considerations.  Last thing I think they'd want though is a situation where unclear jurisdiction or undefined mandate creates an inability for either police force to enforce the law.

I wonder about that. They could lose a lot of votes over this. I'm sure the new-Libs will make a big deal of it. And you know the RCMP will screw something up they can use politically. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I wonder about that. They could lose a lot of votes over this. I'm sure the new-Libs will make a big deal of it. And you know the RCMP will screw something up they can use politically. 

They could, but opposition is fractured at the moment, with the BC Conservatives slowly creeping into the conversation.  I suspect they chose to do this now (and this is just my own speculation) because the next election isn't for a while yet, and the electorate tends to be forgetful about localized issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Last I checked, if a person didn't like the terms of their employment contract, they could always give notice and go find another job.  Are these drivers enslaved to their rideshare app or something?  Why aren't they choosing to quit the platform (ie. exit the employment contract) and find something more suited to their preferences?

B.C. Uber workers call on province to cap the number of drivers on the road

'Right now, it's essentially a free for all,' says ride-share driver

CBC News · Posted: Dec 07, 2023 12:41 PM PST | Last Updated: December 7
A hand holds an iPhone opened to the Uber app in front of the windshield of a car with an Uber sticker on it.
The Uber app is seen on an iPhone near a driver's vehicle after the company launched in Vancouver in January 2020. Some rideshare drivers are now pushing the province to cap the number of drivers on the road. (Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press)

'Tis the season for holiday parties and high demand for rideshare drivers — and some workers behind the wheel are asking the province for help to improve job conditions. 

Last month, the B.C. government unveiled changes to bring better working conditions for app-based gig workers. The legislation addressed unpredictable wages, being cut off from a job without proper notice and the lack of compensation for workers injured on the job.

On Tuesday, some gig workers met with B.C. Labour Minister Harry Bains, who proposed those legislation changes, to ask for further regulation from the government for rideshare and delivery drivers.

"We are trying to have a regulation where there is a maximum amount of drivers that can be on the job," said driver Inder Raj Gill, who was at the meeting with the minister.

"Right now, it's essentially a free-for-all," he added.

While Gill did not specify what that cap would be, he said there's "only enough pie" to go around for so many drivers.

Provincial estimates put the number of ride-hailing drivers in B.C. at about 11,000, along with 27,000 food-delivery workers.

Drivers, says Gill, are also seeking better compensation than the province proposed in November.

WATCH | Inder Raj Gill calls for cap on the number of rideshare and delivery drivers on B.C. roads: 

INDERRAJ_5000kbps_1280x720_2290013251688

Uber drivers in B.C. say too many people are competing for fares — and want province to step in

2 days ago
Duration2:48
Rideshare and delivery driver Inder Raj Gill tells Gloria Macarenko about the growing number of people getting into gig work, increasing competition and pressure among drivers. Gill, along with other gig workers, are calling on the province to consider putting a cap on the number of people working as app-based gig workers.

The proposed amendments include a minimum earnings standard for engaged time at 120 per cent of minimum wage before tips — or $20.10 an hour at the current minimum wage of $16.75. The rate is higher because engaged time would not include the time spent waiting for the next ride or delivery.

"The 120 per cent of engaged time is a very vague way of paying us," said Gill.

He said drivers will only be paid that when they are on assignment, meanwhile they spend at least half of their shifts waiting to be assigned — one of the issues he raised with Bains this week.

"We suggested that any worker should have a minimum utilization rate of 80 to 85 per cent. What that means is, if a worker is online on any platform, they should be working at least 80 per cent of the time when they are online," said Gill.

Rideshare drivers that attended a Nov. 16 press conference where Bains announced new gig worker employment standards shared Gill's sentiments.

"I don't make enough these days," driver Kuljeet Singh told CBC News. "You don't have overtime, you don't have vacations, you don't have benefits, you don't have dental — you don't have anything."

Two Indo-Canadian men smile for the camera, standing in the sunlight in front of a bridge over a river.
Ride-hailing drivers Inder Raj Gill, left, and Kuljeet Singh are advocating for higher wages for gig economy workers in B.C. The duo are seen here on Nov. 16, 2023 attending a press conference where the province proposed amendments to the Employment Standards Act and the Workers Compensation Act. (Justine Boulin/CBC)

Singh said a minimum standard of $30-$35 an hour would be more appropriate.

Other labour issues that have not been addressed in B.C.'s plan include overtime, holidays and paid leave.

But Gill believes November's announcement was just a starting point and is optimistic following his recent meeting with Bains, calling the talks productive.

The proposed legislation also includes measures prohibiting companies from withholding tips, requiring transparency about how much each gig will earn, creating an official review process when workers are let go and providing coverage under WorkSafeBC.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-uber-drivers-requesting-regulation-1.7052257

Last I checked, if a person didn't like the terms of their employment contract, they could always give notice and go find another job.  Are these drivers enslaved to their rideshare app or something?  Why aren't they choosing to quit the platform (ie. exit the employment contract) and find something more suited to their preferences?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-uber-drivers-requesting-regulation-1.7052257

I think it's a requirement to be a shitty driver to be able to have that little Uber sign in your car.

39 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Yup… pretty much means expecting more delays and a ton of wasted money.

37 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its just funny that they'd give it another try. 

What's the alternative though?  Letting the ferry system decompose due to lack of available ships?  They need to replace them at some point.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

What's the alternative though?  Letting the ferry system decompose due to lack of available ships?  They need to replace them at some point.

BC ferries is a gong show and the NDP don't have a good history with this. It's going to be a disaster.

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Bunch of redneck hippies.

No you @bishopshodan, that @luckylager guy.

/s

Real talk though - Islanders, and our communities, should all be looking for local investment opportunities that can make Island living more sustainable, and less dependent on products (primarily food) from the mainland.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Real talk though - Islanders, and our communities, should all be looking for local investment opportunities that can make Island living more sustainable, and less dependent on products (primarily food) from the mainland.

The same can be said for mainland localities vis a vis international imports (especially food).

• Vintage 1

The same can be said for mainland localities vis a vis international imports (especially food).

Absolutely. We have a lot of ALR that is basically unused / misused. Perhaps a provincial investment into heated greenhouses that are powered by green energy?

Just spitballing progressive solutions that shouldve been taken more seriously like 30 years ago. Yeah.

Unfortunately, the powers that be do not represent the best interests of the people, and have always put the the best interests of the all might dollar first and foremost.

Shocker eh.

• Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

image.png.fc11629dbf4d5027df8288ef9b38a2a5.png

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Absolutely. We have a lot of ALR that is basically unused / misused. Perhaps a provincial investment into heated greenhouses that are powered by green energy?

Just spitballing progressive solutions that shouldve been taken more seriously like 30 years ago. Yeah.

Unfortunately, the powers that be do not represent the best interests of the people, and have always put the the best interests of the all might dollar first and foremost.

Shocker eh.

I'm all for enforcement of usage of ALR land as it was meant to be (instead of having developers hawking over and drooling about these slabs of fertile agricultural land into irreversibly lost dead paved-over land that get turned into housing cash cows).  

Back on the old forum (where pretty much all my posts have now been deleted), I'd been strongly in favour of using ALR land as it was intended, and firmly against having ALR land taken out and converted to condos (or worse, villas for the rich).  If the NDP wants to salvage part of their historical victories, that's one area they need to focus on.

• Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Or a bridge :frantic:

No that would destroy whats special about island.

Agreed tho, more investment is a great idea.

Although I've been critical of the NDP many times over the years (and certainly after the Fast Ferries debacle) I have to point out that expecting the current NDP government to fail, just because the Glen Clark government shit the bed 25 years ago, it's not much different than expecting a late season collapse by the  Canucks, just because the 2006 team did....