Update: Zach Benson Makes Buffalo Sabres Roster

Needless to say, many of us were disappointed that the team didn't draft Benson this past year as they believe he's going to be an easy land on an NHL player despite being undersized, very similar to when Cole Caufield was passed on in favour of Podkolzin. As I like to do, I've been keeping up with how he's doing and the fan reception around this particular pick. So far, nothing but overwhelming reviews. He's gone from "no chance he plays in the NHL this year" to "well, let's see how he performs at training camp" to "wow, this kid is good but let's not rush his development, let's keep him away from the NHL before we prematurely throw him to the wolves" to "maybe we'll just give him 9 games?" to "why don't we just have this kid on the team and insert him into our top 6?". 

He's played well in every game he's been showcased in, whether it's been their prospects tournament to scrimmages to pre-season games. Buffalo fans are wondering how he fell to them and despite having higher picks in their system, he's their best non-roster prospect.

I wonder if this will eventually put some unnecessary pressure on Willander, considering he's nowhere close to the readiness that Benson is at. 

Edited by MikeyD
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I wonder if this will eventually put some unnecessary pressure on Willander, considering he's nowhere close to the readiness that Benson is at.

Why would it? The draft is over, other than the fans no one is associating Willander's development with that of Benson. I suppose if Alvin is in the hot seat then it maybe possible he may try to push for Willander to make the NHL prematurely but I don't forsee that being the case considering the last guy got 8 years despite being an abject failure. 

11 minutes ago, Riddikulus said:

Why would it? The draft is over, other than the fans no one is associating Willander's development with that of Benson. I suppose if Alvin is in the hot seat then it maybe possible he may try to push for Willander to make the NHL prematurely but I don't forsee that being the case considering the last guy got 8 years despite being an abject failure. 

Honestly really only put that bit in there so I had some sort of "reason" for creating the thread lol.

I really just wanted to shout at the clouds over the fact I'm still upset we didn't draft Benson lol. 

This team sorely lacks a Benson calibre player up front.

This team also sorely lacks a top pairing right handed defenseman. Which is exactly what we hope Willander will be. 

Both would’ve been great picks regardless. I’ve got no complaints. Perhaps Benson would’ve been the better player and choice, but if Willander hits his potential, im not even thinking about Benson.

It’s brick by brick here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Odd. said:

This team sorely lacks a Benson calibre player up front.

This team also sorely lacks a top pairing right handed defenseman. Which is exactly what we hope Willander will be. 

Both would’ve been great picks regardless. I’ve got no complaints. Perhaps Benson would’ve been the better player and choice, but if Willander hits his potential, im not even thinking about Benson.

It’s brick by brick here. 

We're currently trying to get rid of 2 middle 6 wingers already.... how is our position of incredible depth and strength somewhere you think we "lack of"

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

We're currently trying to get rid of 2 middle 6 wingers already.... how is our position of incredible depth and strength somewhere you think we "lack of"

Depth yes, strength not sure. 
BB and CG coming of subpar years, JTM was our best winger but is now in the middle. Podz hasn’t developed, Hogz is just scraping 13th forward, Beau is a defensively questionable small winger who has never scored 20.

Mik coming off major surgery.

AHL guy on second line with PDG. 
Small, smaller and smallest on the wing and we are one sophomore Kuz slump and continuation of the BB and CG slides away from having a terrible looking group of winger. 

• Vintage 1

The regular season is an entirely different animal than the tournaments and pre-season.  Benson will likely get a 9-game dress rehearsal and if he gets smothered in the men's game, he's headed back to Wenatchee. 

The Wild's head coach is under suspension and investigation and things are getting messy there so he has extra motivation to make the best of his Sabres/NHL 9-game run, if he gets elevated, so he doesn't have to go back to that clusterf*** in the WHL.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

We have no play driving, two way wingers unless you’ve been watching a different team.

There’s a difference between having depth and actually having quality depth. Our wingers are trash except Kuzmenko and Mikheyev.

Benson is one of the best two way players of that draft. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

BB and CG coming of subpar years, JTM was our best winger but is now in the middle. Podz hasn’t developed, Hogz is just scraping 13th forward, Beau is a defensively questionable small winger who has never scored 20.

Small, smaller and smallest on the wing and we are one sophomore Kuz slump and continuation of the BB and CG slides away from having a terrible looking group of winger. 

Yes, if everything goes absolutely terribly, you might be right. Take that in.. 

Odds are we just have an abundance of solid wingers, which has been one of the focal talking points on this team the past 3 years. 

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Beau scored 21 in 17-18. Just saying. Slow regression since then, but I like him for 20+ if he holds a spot in the top 6.

If.

27 minutes ago, Odd. said:

comparing Benson to Garland is disingenuous at best. 

Garland actually showed to be the better player on a far lesser team with better overall numbers and far lesser line mates.  Benson is no slouch at all; that's not what i am saying.  But Garland/Benson is and was a fair comparison at the time because they were similar type players even if at different positions on the wing.  

Garland team draft year:  https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0014432015.html

Garland stats:  https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=158171

Benson team draft year:  https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0086712023.html

Benson stats:  https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=240680

It's actually impressive that Garland was that good but drafted so low in comparison.

14 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

Beau scored 21 in 17-18. Just saying. Slow regression since then, but I like him for 20+ if he holds a spot in the top 6.

If.

Not saying we are terrible. Just saying that to describe our wingers as deep and talented is tough as many are coming off down years or major injuries or still on the non-linear developmental stage. 
This years team is a total crap shoot. Could be really good, could be sitting just above Anaheim and SJ in the Pacific, neither would surprise me. 
I think Beau should be a 20ish goal scorer and if he D doesn’t improve he better be. 

• Vintage 1