Ranking each Canadian team's defence corps ahead of the 2023-24 NHL season

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/ranking-each-canadian-teams-defence-corps-ahead-of-the-2023-24-nhl-season/

Defence wins championships.

Hockey is faster and more offence-driven than ever before, yet a consistent trait among recent Stanley Cup champions is they’ve all had strong, deep defence corps.

It has been 30 years since a Canadian NHL franchise has hoisted hockey’s most coveted team trophy, and if that streak is going to end this season, then the blue lines are going to have to pull their weight.

Whether it’s Edmonton’s dynamic duo or Toronto’s core four, the forward units North of the border boast some of the NHL’s top talent up front, but can the same be said for the back ends?

Ekholm was a good add for the Oil but I dunno about having them ahead of us. That being said, we haven't actually gotten much of a look at our revamped defense yet and Ekhold did play with the Oil down the stretch last season, I guess we'll see. 

Our defense should be improved this season, at least in theory, but we'll have to see how things go once the regular season starts. 

Unsure with the Oilers vs Canucks. Really depends on how well Hronek, Cole, and Soucy land. If they're all the best versions of themselves, we're probably better, but if, say, two of them struggle, the Oilers are probably better.

• Upvote 1

I think this is huge in terms of projectable success. It really doesn't matter how good your offence is if you can't defend but if you have decent defence from your forwards you can actually contend with so so defence.... Eg Penguins. 

I think we took a step this year. But if I had to choose between Beagle, Roussel , Motte and Suter, Beluger, Mikheyev I think I prefer the former.  

Not buying these rankings and why would I they are from Mike Johnson. 

Hughes is the best d in the country!

Hronek is the best right shot d in the country.  Anderson in Calgary a close 2nd, but not as good defensively and not as good of a passer.   They seemed to play Weeger on the left side a lot last year.

Chychrun shoots left playing right side?

Hronek > Chychrun

Chabot coughs up the puck a lot, not close to as good as Hughes. Is Sanderson that good they rank Ottawa 2nd cuz they've won some preseason games?  The Senators goaltending has improved.  

Aside from Ekholm, Oilers d isn't that impressive. 

I"m a Canucks fan homer and rate Canucks D at number 2 behind Calgary for now.

• ThereItIs 1

Pretty fair assessment.    For those who aren't watching Ottawa games, you should.  I'd swap teams with them in an instant.   Dorion schooled JB on how to do a proper Canadian rebuild.   Locking all their core guys up in a small market high tax environment, was pure genius.  All guys 8-8.5.    That's how to do it.    Keeping up their two decades and counting, excellent draft record.   They will become the best Canadian team in the latter part of the 2020's to early 2030's.    We'd have to have some crazy late round picks come out of the woodwork to compete.   Sure would love a Canuck-Sens final.   TO fans are actually getting jealous of the SENs.   That part is delicious.    TO's window is closing .   Theirs is wide open for the better part of the next decade, and still have a good pool.  

Chabot is going to have a much easier time than he did while their team was rebuilding.   No more 30 minute games.

WNP has a decent blue line, at the start of last season, the same exercise, we'd be behind them.   They were ranked 6th.   Baby steps. Ekholm and Bouchard emerging as a top offensive defenseman blocked a higher ranking.   17 points in 12 playoff games is Coffey/Orr stuff. 

Edited by IBatch

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Unsure with the Oilers vs Canucks. Really depends on how well Hronek, Cole, and Soucy land. If they're all the best versions of themselves, we're probably better, but if, say, two of them struggle, the Oilers are probably better.

AJ agree with this.   Tough to admit.   And Cole is a stop gap, Hronek at least we have RFA rights after this season, but will be looking to cash in. 

10 hours ago, Future Considerations said:

Not buying these rankings and why would I they are from Mike Johnson. 

Hughes is the best d in the country!

Hronek is the best right shot d in the country.  Anderson in Calgary a close 2nd, but not as good defensively and not as good of a passer.   They seemed to play Weeger on the left side a lot last year.

Chychrun shoots left playing right side?

Hronek > Chychrun

Chabot coughs up the puck a lot, not close to as good as Hughes. Is Sanderson that good they rank Ottawa 2nd cuz they've won some preseason games?  The Senators goaltending has improved.  

Aside from Ekholm, Oilers d isn't that impressive. 

I"m a Canucks fan homer and rate Canucks D at number 2 behind Calgary for now.

Hughes is by far the best D. Htonek is second. Then Tanev comes next. 
Chychscrub is at the bottom next to the entire Habs’ D core.