2024 Entry Draft

On 1/17/2024 at 3:45 AM, Ilunga said:

I think it's kinda surprising that Aron Kiviharju isn't in their top 32.

I know he hasn't played since October however most ranking sites have him anywhere between as high as number, 10 TSN Bob McKenzie, low as 21, Elite prospects / SMAHT Scouting.

They want to see more offence out of him. The problem with kivi is that he plays a traditional style but lacks the size of a traditional none crunching defensive d

5 minutes ago, isam said:

They want to see more offence out of him. The problem with kivi is that he plays a traditional style but lacks the size of a traditional none crunching defensive d

For sure he is a smallish guy.

However most of the recognised ranking sites have him in-between 10 and 21 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/526036/aron-kiviharju

It just seems a little strange to me that the Bleacher Report doesn't even have him in their top 32.

19 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Sounds like Michael Hage grew a lot in a short time. That Sports Illustrated profile lists him at 5'9" 150lbs but McKenzie's list has him at 6'0.5" 190lbs.

Hage and Boisvert are both intriguing as Canadians who have decided to go through the USHL system so that they can play NCAA hockey. Both seem to have decent size and with Hage committed to UMich and Boisvert committed to UND both will be going to good programs.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Change My Mind 22012024063909.jpg

For me the fact that 5 people on elite prospects have endorsed Kiviharju as a team player I thing speaks volumes about his character. Fun fact I'm not sure many know his dad is currently an NHL scout for the Arizona Coyotes. 

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

For me the fact that 5 people on elite prospects have endorsed Kiviharju as a team player I thing speaks volumes about his character. Fun fact I'm not sure many know his dad is currently an NHL scout for the Arizona Coyotes. 

I didn't see much explosiveness in his skating when I watched him early this year. Not enough for a guy his size. This is now his 2nd knee injury he just had surgery for. I dunno I almost always rank the fins high I was really excited about this player I'm just not sure he has it. 

Edit: I did not know that. Fun fact. 

Edited by Hammertime

1 minute ago, Hammertime said:

I didn't see much explosiveness in his skating when I watched him early this year. Not enough for a guy his size. This is now his 2nd knee injury he just had surgery for. I dunno I almost always rank the fins high I was really excited about this player I'm just not sure he has it. 

Yeah he is definitely trending down and knee injuries are among the worst in my opinion, excluding head, back, and neck. He might be a late first gamble but I think if he can rebound he still has the potential to be an NHL player. Not much of a fit for the Canucks as well. 

• Cheers 1

On 1/23/2024 at 2:31 PM, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah he is definitely trending down and knee injuries are among the worst in my opinion, excluding head, back, and neck. He might be a late first gamble but I think if he can rebound he still has the potential to be an NHL player. Not much of a fit for the Canucks as well. 

It's hard to say. He's been hyped as this phenom for years. Like Lambert, Raty, the hype train was maybe a lil preemptive leaving the station. Noel Fransen has really impressed me. he accelerates very quickly even from a stop some of the quickest first 3 steps in this draft class imo and shot is top tier. I would rank them similarly very exciting home run swings I'm not 100% sold on yet. 

It's one thing to put up hatties in the J20 as a D but here's his goal from the SHL.

Sweden has a weak team this year at the U18's  they may not have any big "A" listers but don't under estimate 3Pete, Zether, Fransen, Freij, Fernstrom, Whallenius.

Canada better keep their head up for Zether. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 2

CHL Top Prospects game on TSN right now. 0-0 after 1.

No real standout so far imo but lots of guys showing things. Too many to mention them all but one guy I didn't have a great opinion on is Henry Mews, and I've been rly impressed with his puck moving. Nothing flashy at all but heads up all the time & doesn't panic with it under pressure. 

Tomas Lavoie has stood out in a bad way, fighting the puck quite a bit. Was surprised to see him on the PP but maybe they are just rolling lines. (Only 1 PP so far)

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

CHL Top Prospects game on TSN right now. 0-0 after 1.

No real standout so far imo but lots of guys showing things. Too many to mention them all but one guy I didn't have a great opinion on is Henry Mews, and I've been rly impressed with his puck moving. Nothing flashy at all but heads up all the time & doesn't panic with it under pressure. 

Tomas Lavoie has stood out in a bad way, fighting the puck quite a bit. Was surprised to see him on the PP but maybe they are just rolling lines. (Only 1 PP so far)

Yeah Lavoie has always looked bad to me. He was a top prospect coming into junior - 1st overall in the Q - but he's yet to translate. Scouts liked his tools at lower levels I guess but he looks like a fringe NHL prospect at this point.

• Cheers 1

On 1/23/2024 at 6:01 PM, Hammertime said:

It's hard to say. He's been hyped as this phenom for years. Like Lambert, Raty, the hype train was maybe a lil preemptive leaving the station. Noel Fransen has really impressed me. he accelerates very quickly even from a stop some of the quickest first 3 steps in this draft class imo and shot is top tier. I would rank them similarly very exciting home run swings I'm not 100% sold on yet. 

It's one thing to put up hatties in the J20 as a D but here's his goal from the SHL.

Sweden has a weak team this year at the U18's  they may not have any big "A" listers but don't under estimate 3Pete, Zether, Fransen, Freij, Fernstrom, Phalsson Whallenius.

Canada better keep their head up for Zether. 

Don't forget Zether is a late birthday - won't be eligible for this year's U18s. A weak '06 class plus a powerhouse '07 group means Sweden's U18 team this year will prominently feature under-agers. Filip Ekberg, Anton Frondell, Jakob Ihs Wozniak, Ivar Stenberg, Sacha Boumedienne could all be there and probably some will play major roles.

• Cheers 2

On 1/22/2024 at 2:42 PM, Bure_Pavel said:

I agree with who he has in the top 16, though different order after the top 20 its very wide open in my opinion. 

1. Celebrini

---------------

2. Eiserman

3. Levshunov

---------------

4. Dickinson

5. Lindstrom

6. Silayev

7. Parekh

8. Buium

---------------

9. Helenius

10. Demidov

11. Connelly

12. Jiricek

----------------

13. Hemming

14. Yakemchuk

15. Catton

16. Iginla

17. Brandsegg-Nygard

-----------------

18. Kiviharju

19. Greentree

20. Boisvert

I know stats arent everything but Silayev is the all time KHL leader for points/season and games played/season by a U18 player and is a 6'7" Dman. 

Love this list. As I've said, I haven't really disliked any list I've seen posted so far, but this is one of my favorite.

Only point of contention would be on Catton, who I see as a shoe-in for top ten. I'm often a little more hesitant on some of the smaller forwards, but I think Catton has enough dynamic elements, enough NHL-translatable qualities, and just high enough overall hockey IQ, combined with enough uncertainty at the top of this year's class, there's no doubt in my mind Catton should go top ten.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, MatchesMalone said:

Love this list. As I've said, I haven't really disliked any list I've seen posted so far, but this is one of my favorite.

Only point of contention would be on Catton, who I see as a shoe-in for top ten. I'm often a little more hesitant on some of the smaller forwards, but I think Catton has enough dynamic elements, enough NHL-translatable qualities, and just high enough overall hockey IQ, combined with enough uncertainty at the top of this year's class, there's no doubt in my mind Catton should go top ten.

Thanks. I agree Catton is a top 10 talent, I just think he is at risk of getting the Benson treatment on draft day as teams covet size. Curious how you would rank currently these 4 forwards at the moment if it was draft day and you had to walk up to the podium, as I know you are pretty high on a couple of them? All high skill guys but with likely very different development paths. If you are holding your cards close to your chest for the moment, all good as well.

Catton

Helenius

Demidov

Connelly

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, MatchesMalone said:

Don't forget Zether is a late birthday - won't be eligible for this year's U18s. A weak '06 class plus a powerhouse '07 group means Sweden's U18 team this year will prominently feature under-agers. Filip Ekberg, Anton Frondell, Jakob Ihs Wozniak, Ivar Stenberg, Sacha Boumedienne could all be there and probably some will play major roles.

Aw that's too bad makes sense though. I guess he was at the last U18. I'm hoping Alvin is happy to watch his draft stock continue to tumble. He really has ideal NHL 3C with upside written all over him when I've seen him. Would love to get this player in the system. 

27 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Thanks. I agree Catton is a top 10 talent, I just think he is at risk of getting the Benson treatment on draft day as teams covet size. Curious how you would rank currently these 4 forwards at the moment if it was draft day and you had to walk up to the podium, as I know you are pretty high on a couple of them? All high skill guys but with likely very different development paths. If you are holding your cards close to your chest for the moment, all good as well.

Catton

Helenius

Demidov

Connelly

To me the difference between Benson and Catton is skating. Both have exceptional two-way IQ, but scouts see a smallish guy with less than stellar skating, and generally the best-case scenario is something like Mikael Granlund or Jordan Eberle. Catton has that dynamic speed element Benson doesn't.

I'd go Connelly, Demidov, Catton, Helenius. First three are in my top eight. Then I'd have Helenius around 10.

• Cheers 2

44 minutes ago, MatchesMalone said:

To me the difference between Benson and Catton is skating. Both have exceptional two-way IQ, but scouts see a smallish guy with less than stellar skating, and generally the best-case scenario is something like Mikael Granlund or Jordan Eberle. Catton has that dynamic speed element Benson doesn't.

I'd go Connelly, Demidov, Catton, Helenius. First three are in my top eight. Then I'd have Helenius around 10.

I'm a big fan of Helenius what he is accomplishing at his age is very exciting. I question a little bit how much more he has to grow, what his ultimate ceiling is in the NHL. Would Kevin Fiala be a good comparable? I think Hemming has more room to grow his game. Will he? I wrestle with who's the better prospect? 

• Cheers 1

One player who has not been getting the props he probably should is Zeev Buium, most publications have him going in the teens but the guy is putting up Eichel and Fantilli level production in the NCAA and was a big part of the WJC USA gold in his draft year. He is my wildcard to break into the top 5. 

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

One player who has not been getting the props he probably should is Zeev Buium, most publications have him going in the teens but the guy is putting up Eichel and Fantilli level production in the NCAA and was a big part of the WJC USA gold in his draft year. He is my wildcard to break into the top 5. 

Yeah I had him 7th on my last list. Listed at 6'2 now is important.

I think most lists are just slow to change. Nobody who saw him at World Juniors should have him much outside top ten.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Hammertime said:

I'm a big fan of Helenius what he is accomplishing at his age is very exciting. I question a little bit how much more he has to grow, what his ultimate ceiling is in the NHL. Would Kevin Fiala be a good comparable? I think Hemming has more room to grow his game. Will he? I wrestle with who's the better prospect? 

I really like what I saw from Helenius at the WJC, despite putting up limited numbers in a diminished role. He's lighting up Liiga.. has pro-level details and great 2-way play. Don't find him overly flashy but knows how to create space and attacking lanes.

Edited by Jim Tim
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, MatchesMalone said:

Yeah I had him 7th on my last list. Listed at 6'2 now is important.

I think most lists are just slow to change. Nobody who saw him at World Juniors should have him much outside top ten.

I though he was still at 6'0", at 6'2" he will be a hot commodity on draft day. Parekh (RD) is his closest comparable in this draft, also putting up ridiculous numbers including back to back 20 goal campaigns in the OHL from the back end.   

• Cheers 1

On 1/22/2024 at 10:16 AM, Hammertime said:

Not surprised Silayev is #2. You never see DE prospects with his size that move as quick+fluidly as he does, and who are legitimately playing top 4 mins in the 2nd best league in the world. Its pretty rare.

I'm not even a big believer in his offensive game, but even without it he'll be an absolute nightmare to matchup against at the NHL level.  

On 1/19/2024 at 11:00 AM, Hammertime said:

How far will Jiricek fall due to injury? Move up territory?

I'd be surprised to see Jiricek fall out of the top 20. What an unfortunate year for him though, he could've contended for top 10. A team could be fortunate if he slips a bit.

On 1/18/2024 at 9:53 AM, Bure_Pavel said:

One player I have a bit higher is Carter Yakemchuk, would love if the Canucks got the chance to call him name at the draft. A RD with the size, the shot, and the physicality. His defensive game could use some work but I like the potential there. Moulded in the fires of Fort McMurray. Downsides include being one of the older players in the draft and playing for the Hitman.  

I love Yakemchuk. He's got a ton of skill - like best OFD in the class level (with Parekh) - but the thing that stands out for me is his competitiveness. I feel like when games get chippy he takes battles personally, and looks to throw his weight around with a vengeance.

He's got all the elements of a top Dman. I'd even say his defense has improved too. 

On 1/18/2024 at 7:00 PM, MatchesMalone said:

Two players I think are getting slept on the worst this year are Cole Beaudoin and Ygor Chernyshov. Beaudoin is a two-way power center who can skate, comparable to Nate Danielson or Zach Bolduc from recent drafts. Ygor Chernyshov is a 6'2 winger with equal parts power and dynamic elements, in the mould of a Miroshnichenko, Ohgren or Yurov.

Both are guys who are gonna be able to handle bumps and protect pucks at high speeds at the NHL level.

I like both, but the one thing about Beaudoin is I think his upside is limited. You love his size, his skating, defensive responsibility, & he has pretty good puck skills, but offensively doesn't create as much as you'd like to project him as more than a 3C imo.

Chernyshov I see a bit more upside in. Not sure yet if he leans more top 6 or middle 6, but either way looks like a solid pick in the 2nd half of the 1st. 

• Cheers 2

So who's got 3rd or 4th targets?

Of course we will go swedish with at least our 1st pick. I think Noel Fransen and Alexander Zetterberg are probably our top targets with a little luck one might be there.  

Overagers worth keeping a side eye on.

Tommaso De Luca F ,Tyler Thorpe F, Erik Phallson F, Daniil O. Ivanov Uge D, Hugo Fransson D, 

I'm still hoping we manage to create a lil cap space and pick up a 2nd at the draft. 

• Cheers 1