2024 Entry Draft

8 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Would be fun (for me) to see Canucks draft Jordan Gavin 5'11 LW Tri-City Americans 

He's an 2006 Birthyear though, shouldn't he be in this years draft?

November birthday. The cutoff is September 15. It's a big part of the reason that draft class is going to be such a powerhouse (and why 2024 is such an average draft) - 9 of the 25 players I listed are late birthday '06. The 2020 draft was the same way with Lundell, Holloway, Mercer, Rossi, Amirov, Lafreniere, Quinn and on and on all late birthdays. Just luck of the draw but it's often a major deciding factor for the strength of a given class.

Edited by MatchesMalone
  • Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

18 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

I know, it's the '24 draft thread and we're an awful long way off from the '25 draft, but with the Canucks without any picks in the first couple rounds this year there's not a ton of interest around here, so I thought it might be worth looking ahead to the 2025 draft class. Looks like an absolute monster of a draft to me. The strength of the '23 class was the stalwart NHL-sized centers. The strength of the '24 class is the defense, although many of the top junior performers (Kiviharju, Mews, Parekh, Hutson, Cristoforo, Vaisanen) are 6' and under. The 2025 class is highlighted by a wealth of elite centers and defensemen, many of whom are 6'1 and up. Reminds me of 2003 somewhat, in that there's not a lot of separation at the top end, but there will be gamebreakers clear throughout the first round. Listed roughly in order I would rank them but I left out the numbers because it just feels too early for rankings.

James Hagens 5'10 C USNTDP U18s - Imagine if Matvei Michkov was also elite defensively. Phenomenally smooth and evasive skater with genius-level hockey IQ. Best 200-foot center I've seen for this class so far.

Michael Misa 6'1 C Saginaw Spirit - Dynamic offensive player, just hasn't really taken the next step this season after his impressive exceptional status year.

Ivan Ryabkin 6'0 C MHK Dynamo Moskva - Another dynamic, highly skilled center, and I've seen flashes of some oomph to his game.

Jakob Ihs Wozniak 6'3 C/W Lulea HF - Big power forward is challenging Holtz' and Raymond's single season scoring records for U17s in the Swedish J20.

Charlie Trethewey 6'1 RD USNTDP U17s - already 190 lb right shooting D took over the U17s challenge tournament with 10 points in 7 games.

Roger McQueen 6'5 C Brandon Wheat Kings - Monstrous power center, likes to play heavy and get around the net.

Anton Frondell 6'0 C Djurgardens IF

Porter Martone 6'3 C/RW Mississauga Steelheads - He's a headache for his own coaches, but it's hard to deny the skill and physical tools.

Sascha Boumedienne 6'2 LD Youngstown Phantoms

William Moore 6'2 C USNTDP U17s

Jackson Smith 6'3 LD Tri-City Americans

Malcolm Spence 6'2 LW Eerie Otters - Power winger plays a fast-paced, north-south game

Logan Hensler 6'2 RD USNTDP U18s

Jordan Gavin 5'11 LW Tri-City Americans

Matthew Schaefer 6'2 LD Eerie Otters

Bill Zonnon 6'2 LW Rouyn-Noranda Huskies

David Lewandowski 6'1 C Dusseldorfer EG

Brady Martin 6'0 C Soo Greyhounds

Henry Brzustewicz 6'2 RD London Knights

Victor Eklund 5'10 LW Djurgardens IF

Caleb Desnoyer 6'1 C Moncton Wildcats

Shane Vansaghi 6'3 RW USNTDP U18s - One of my personal favorites for next year's draft. Nicknamed "The Big Show" by his teammates and drawing comparisons to Tom Wilson.

Peyton Kettles 6'4 RD Swift Current Broncos

Caden Taylor 6'2 C Peterborough Petes

Jack Murtagh 6'0 C USNTDP U17s

I drafted Roger McQueen in NHL24, and he became an elite 2-way banging 92 overall center with 99 speed. I'd take him.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watching Michigan vs Michigan State, and I gotta say Levshunov continues to be the most puzzling draft eligible player I can ever recall watching. 

I get he's raw but his off puck defending needs a ton of work. Puck watches alot, often slow to react. He does defend the rush well & can control+pass the puck but I wonder how quickly he processes the game.

Many have him as a top 3 pick, but even offensively I don't really see an impact play-driver, more of a complimentary piece that gets involved here & there.

I hate to keep ragging on him, there just continues to be this disconnect in what I heard/read then what I see. (Which is a fine middle pair D imo, perhaps 2/3)

Maybe people are banking on him taking big steps?

Edited by Smashian Kassian

15 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Watching Michigan vs Michigan State, and I gotta say Levshunov continues to be the most puzzling draft eligible player I can ever recall watching. 

I get he's raw but his off puck defending needs a ton of work. Puck watches alot, often slow to react. He does defend the rush well & can control+pass the puck but I wonder how quickly he processes the game.

Many have him as a top 3 pick, but even offensively I don't really see an impact play-driver, more of a complimentary piece that gets involved here & there.

I hate to keep ragging on him, there just continues to be this disconnect in what I heard/read then what I see. (Which is a fine middle pair D imo, perhaps 2/3)

Maybe people are banking on him taking big steps?

Of course people are expecting big steps. He certainly doesn't have Parekh's offensive talents, or Buium's skating ability, but his baseline understanding of the game is tremendous, and lets not beat around the bush - he's a 6'2, 209 lb 18 year old RHD. At 16 he was playing Belarus Vysshaya - this is a junior league inferior to the good Canadian Junior A leagues. At 17 he seamlessly made the jump to both the North American sized ice and the much higher level of competition in the USHL - to the tune of the 10th highest point total by a U18 defenseman in USHL history, just behind John Carlson and ahead of Owen Power. https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/ushl/stats/all-time-season?position=d&age=u18

Then after just one year to adjust, he makes the jump to a much higher level still, to the tune of the 7th best offensive total by a U19 D in the NCAA since the start of the millennium, and still has games left to pass Patrick Wiercioch and maybe Zach Werenski. https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/ncaa/stats/all-time-season?position=d&age=u19&from=1999-2000

Production has to count for something. I also wonder if you're not comparing him to recent draft classes instead of this year's class. He wouldn't have cracked that top four in last year's draft, but I'd have taken him ahead of Reinbacher (who I wouldn't have taken at 5, mind you). I probably would have still had But and Dvorsky ahead of him but he'd be in that 6-8 range. Compared to the '22 draft, again he probably doesn't crack the top four, but he'd be in that next tier with Jiricek, Korchinski and Gauthier.

In this draft I'm just not seeing the guys who are such obvious top three talents. I don't quite believe in Silayev the way some do, Lindstrom's injury is slightly concerning, since he was estimated back in mid February and is still out. Eiserman is somewhat one-dimensional. Trevor Connelly might have this year's best package of raw natural gifts, but there's baggage. I'm a big fan of both Demidov and Catton, but both are on the small side. Look at the 2011 draft, another one purported to be a weak draft in the lead-up - and in a way it was, if you look a single spot past the top 10, the rest of that first round was trash (with just a couple exceptions), but because it was so weak, the few top talents really rose to the top and the drafting teams didn't miss a one. But Colorado and New Jersey opted for the safe options at 2 and 4. I think the same thing will happen this year, without a lot of top tier elite talent, the safe picks will rise to the top (Levshunov, Silayev, Lindstrom).

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, MatchesMalone said:

Of course people are expecting big steps. He certainly doesn't have Parekh's offensive talents, or Buium's skating ability, but his baseline understanding of the game is tremendous, and lets not beat around the bush - he's a 6'2, 209 lb 18 year old RHD. At 16 he was playing Belarus Vysshaya - this is a junior league inferior to the good Canadian Junior A leagues. At 17 he seamlessly made the jump to both the North American sized ice and the much higher level of competition in the USHL - to the tune of the 10th highest point total by a U18 defenseman in USHL history, just behind John Carlson and ahead of Owen Power. https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/ushl/stats/all-time-season?position=d&age=u18

Then after just one year to adjust, he makes the jump to a much higher level still, to the tune of the 7th best offensive total by a U19 D in the NCAA since the start of the millennium, and still has games left to pass Patrick Wiercioch and maybe Zach Werenski. https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/ncaa/stats/all-time-season?position=d&age=u19&from=1999-2000

Production has to count for something. I also wonder if you're not comparing him to recent draft classes instead of this year's class. He wouldn't have cracked that top four in last year's draft, but I'd have taken him ahead of Reinbacher (who I wouldn't have taken at 5, mind you). I probably would have still had But and Dvorsky ahead of him but he'd be in that 6-8 range. Compared to the '22 draft, again he probably doesn't crack the top four, but he'd be in that next tier with Jiricek, Korchinski and Gauthier.

I'm just comparing him to the other D/players in this class. The production is impressive but when I watch I see some issues on D side & I don't see an offensive dynamo like the points suggest. Theres some Tyler Myers to his game imo. I do see a legit top 4D prospect but not a potential #1 that has him going in the top 3. But perhaps people are looking at the curve as you mention & thinking big steps could come.

I dunno, this is one I'm either going to look smart or like a complete idiot in time. But its just what I've seen when I watch. 

1 hour ago, MatchesMalone said:

In this draft I'm just not seeing the guys who are such obvious top three talents. I don't quite believe in Silayev the way some do, Lindstrom's injury is slightly concerning, since he was estimated back in mid February and is still out. Eiserman is somewhat one-dimensional. Trevor Connelly might have this year's best package of raw natural gifts, but there's baggage. I'm a big fan of both Demidov and Catton, but both are on the small side. Look at the 2011 draft, another one purported to be a weak draft in the lead-up - and in a way it was, if you look a single spot past the top 10, the rest of that first round was trash (with just a couple exceptions), but because it was so weak, the few top talents really rose to the top and the drafting teams didn't miss a one. But Colorado and New Jersey opted for the safe options at 2 and 4. I think the same thing will happen this year, without a lot of top tier elite talent, the safe picks will rise to the top (Levshunov, Silayev, Lindstrom).

Yeah it is strange this year, I agree there's not an obvious #2, and I agree not alot of obvious elite upside guys. You could probably make an argument for 2-11ish to be any order. I have Demidov #2 as I think he's the highest upside guy after Celebrini. But I'd have Lindstrom, Catton, Yakemchuk & Dickinson in that group too. Silayev is also an extremely intriguing project that I'm sure teams would love to work with.

I think Lindstrom is a pretty safe bet to be a goal scoring top 6 FWD & you don't get many with his size/skating/meanness - wouldn't be shocked if he goes #2 on draft day, its a long game the injury shouldn't effect him in the long-run.

43 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I can't get involved or care much at all about this year.

Still worth it to get out to some Rockets games. Hiroke will be ours and there's some really good talent in the dub this year. 

Am I missing something as to why Zeev Buium is rated in the teens on almost every draft ranking? He's leading the NCAA in defenseman scoring as a freshman, had a very solid WJC, and at the WJC was listed at 6'2" 181lbs so has decent size. Is he just terrible is his own end or something?

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Am I missing something as to why Zeev Buium is rated in the teens on almost every draft ranking? He's leading the NCAA in defenseman scoring as a freshman, had a very solid WJC, and at the WJC was listed at 6'2" 181lbs so has decent size. Is he just terrible is his own end or something?

Nope. Rankings are slow to change. I watched a lot of the NTDP last year and Aram Minnetian was the primary puck-carrier from their own end, while Buium was the more steadfast, unrisky two-way defenseman. But Buium was the one defenseman on the top powerplay and was clearly the more dangerous weapon from inside the offensive zone. 

I had him early teens coming into the season and I specifically compared him to Duncan Keith and Roman Josi, defensemen considered smart and steady in all aspects except skating, where they were elite. Nobody expected them to become what they became. 

This year with Denver he's been unleashed. The hopes of some team landing a hidden gem are over. He's a top five guy. It's time we get used to it.

Edited by MatchesMalone
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/24/2024 at 3:10 PM, Hammertime said:

Still worth it to get out to some Rockets games. Hiroke will be ours and there's some really good talent in the dub this year. 

I love me some jr hockey but without a first again and a second...again

It's hard to get excited 

• Huggy Bear 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Watching the USA - Norway game at U18s. My goodness, Hagens to Eiserman is like clockwork. Eiserman closing in on Cole Caufield's program goals record. Ziemer and Bednarik also looking pretty impressive.

On the other side, despite Norway getting dominated, double-underaged Niklas Aaram Olsen has really stood out. Not draft eligible until 2026.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hagens is after Kucherov's U18 tournament point record. Kid is first overall 2025. He's on another level. Elite in every single category, including his shot and goal-scoring, which gets overshadowed by Eiserman and it's easy to look at Hagens as the playmaker. But kid can snipe. Borderline generational, but I won't quite go that far.

Edited by MatchesMalone
  • Cheers 1

21 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

Hagens is after Kucherov's U18 tournament point record. Kid is first overall 2025. He's on another level. Elite in every single category, including his shot and goal-scoring, which gets overshadowed by Eiserman and it's easy to look at Hagens as the playmaker. But kid can snipe. Borderline generational, but I won't quite go that far.

His numbers in the NDTP and the USHL are insane for a 17 year old.

19 points including 9 goals in 5 games at the World Juniors is nuts. 

Have you watched Michael Misa at all ?

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Ilunga said:

His numbers in the NDTP and the USHL are insane for a 17 year old.

19 points including 9 goals in 5 games at the World Juniors is nuts. 

Have you watched Michael Misa at all ?

Yeah I've seen a fair amount of Misa. Hell of a prospect but I'd rank him toward the lower end of "exceptional status" players. Still a year before his draft to prove me wrong, but right now I'm not even convinced he's number two for 2025. Looks like a powerhouse draft to me, and guys like Ivan Ryabkin, Jakob Wozniak, Roger McQueen, Anton Frondell, Porter Martone, Charlie Trethewey, Sascha Boumedienne, Jackson Smith, Matthew Schaefer will be challenging for spots in that top five. Hagens is the only one who I think has really set himself apart as on a tier of his own.

First time I saw any of them was the U17 challenge a couple years ago. Misa was playing on the top line for Canada Red with Catton and Martone. Misa looked fantastically skilled and creative, but it was clear that the elder Catton was the line driver. I watched their first couple games before I watched a USA game, and I remember being in awe of Catton, raving to a friend about his 200 foot IQ and how he was outsmarting everyone all over the ice... But then I saw Canada Red up against USA and that was the first time I saw Hagens. My brain almost couldn't comprehend what I was seeing; after being so amazed by Catton's hockey IQ, suddenly he was head to head with Hagens and he had no answer. At first I thought it had more to do with the level of talent surrounding Hagens (Eiserman, Hutson), or how well coached and structured they were or how the NTDP had already been playing and practising together for a couple months. But the more I've watched since then, the more I'm convinced that Catton's hockey IQ is elite, but Hagens' is borderline generational, and that in fact Eiserman benefited greatly from playing with Hagens (moreso than vice versa).

Edited by MatchesMalone
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 3/24/2024 at 2:08 PM, Warhippy said:

I can't get involved or care much at all about this year.

I know it sucks to be without so many picks. Going to be hard to find a player to contribute with our first pick coming in the 3rd round.

Posted (edited)

You know it's probably a bit of a weak draft class when the top three scorers at the U18s were from future drafts.

With no Russia there, there was only ever two teams that were going to win this thing - USA or Canada - so at least they went head to head in the final.

The other usual contenders have subpar classes this year, ranging from Finland slightly below average to Czechia's embarrassment and Sweden somewhere in between.

Edited by MatchesMalone
  • ThereItIs 1

On 3/25/2024 at 3:37 PM, MatchesMalone said:

Nope. Rankings are slow to change. I watched a lot of the NTDP last year and Aram Minnetian was the primary puck-carrier from their own end, while Buium was the more steadfast, unrisky two-way defenseman. But Buium was the one defenseman on the top powerplay and was clearly the more dangerous weapon from inside the offensive zone. 

I had him early teens coming into the season and I specifically compared him to Duncan Keith and Roman Josi, defensemen considered smart and steady in all aspects except skating, where they were elite. Nobody expected them to become what they became. 

This year with Denver he's been unleashed. The hopes of some team landing a hidden gem are over. He's a top five guy. It's time we get used to it.

I was saying this last year I think he’s going high.

i haven’t been following the prospects much at all this year. What’s happened to eiserman? i just peaked and he’s been dropping on draft lists.

i even saw a mock that has celebrini and eiserman going to San Jose with their first two picks lol!

who do you think Chicago takes at 2? And how high do you think iginla ends up going?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, R3aL said:

I was saying this last year I think he’s going high.

i haven’t been following the prospects much at all this year. What’s happened to eiserman? i just peaked and he’s been dropping on draft lists.

i even saw a mock that has celebrini and eiserman going to San Jose with their first two picks lol!

who do you think Chicago takes at 2? And how high do you think iginla ends up going?

Yeah I'm honestly not too sure with Eiserman. Recall coming into the season I had him ranked a little later than most and have always said he benefited greatly from playing on a line with James Hagens, so I'm probably not the best person to asked what changed. I had him around 4 or 5 most of the year and now have had him in the 5-7 range for the past few months. Nothing has really "happened" - just that a couple of other guys have elevated their play enough to pass him (Buium, Lindstrom, and probably a couple others). To the best of my knowledge, the only thing that has really changed is that last year he played most of the season on a line together with Hagens, while this year they really made a point about keeping them apart and letting them drive their own lines; Eiserman never really elevated the play of his linemates the way Hagens does.

I have no earthly idea who Chicago takes. Their head amateur scout Mike Doneghy is based out of Boston, but since he's been at the helm they've skewed toward CHL with their early picks, with a couple NTDP mixed in. With recent top picks like Nazar, Bedard, Moore, you gotta think they might wanna add some size to the core, so maybe a Lindstrom or Dickinson?

Iginla seems to be rising up the charts. My guess right now would be maybe early teens.

Edited by MatchesMalone
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

Yeah I'm honestly not too sure with Eiserman. Recall coming into the season I had him ranked a little later than most and have always said he benefited greatly from playing on a line with James Hagens, so I'm probably not the best person to asked what changed. I had him around 4 or 5 most of the year and now have had him in the 5-7 range for the past few months. Nothing has really "happened" - just that a couple of other guys have elevated their play enough to pass him (Buium, Lindstrom, and probably a couple others). To the best of my knowledge, the only thing that has really changed is that last year he played most of the season on a line together with Hagens, while this year they really made a point about keeping them apart and letting them drive their own lines; Eiserman never really elevated the play of his linemates the way Hagens does.

I have no earthly idea who Chicago takes. Their head amateur scout Mike Doneghy is based out of Boston, but since he's been at the helm they've skewed toward CHL with their early picks, with a couple NTDP mixed in. With recent top picks like Nazar, Bedard, Moore, you gotta think they might wanna add some size to the core, so maybe a Lindstrom or Dickinson?

Iginla seems to be rising up the charts. My guess right now would be maybe early teens.

Thanks mate I will probably deep dive quick into the draft lists and players but I would have barley watched any actual games this year or go anywhere near as deep as years past.

Eiserman sounds like a high level finisher / complimentary prospect but not a line driver. Im sure draft lists will have a lot of variance for him then. Be curious to see where he goes could end up being a big steal for a team.

Buium I am big a fan of he impressed me os much last season.

Looks like a lot of high end dmen this draft too so super curious the order they go in especially the big Russian.

Weird not having a pick to look forward to too.