[Signing] TOR signs Jake Muzzin as Pro Scout

TOR signs Jake Muzzin as Pro Scout

The Toronto Maple Leafs have announced a few staff changes, notably hiring ex-NHLers in off-ice roles. Per the announcement, former Maple Leafs backup goalie Curtis McElhinney has been hired as the team’s Director of Goaltending Development and Scouting, defenseman Jake Muzzin has been named a pro scout, and Chris Bourque will be a college free agent scout.

The most notable announcement here is that of Muzzin, as he still has an active playing contract with the Maple Leafs. As noted on CapFriendly, Muzzin is set to spend the season on long-term injured reserve as repeated injuries have ended his playing career. This announcement confirms that although Muzzin won’t provide his services on the ice with Toronto, he’ll still contribute to the organization’s success in an off-ice role.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/10/atlantic-notes-leafs-hires-debrusk-power.html#ref=home

2 minutes ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

How is this any different than Luongo getting hired by the Panthers? Except for the fact that he actually had to retire and we got stuck with the recapture penalty.

Didn't Luongo officially retire as he began working for the Panthers? Or was he doing both (LTIR and employed) at the same time, like Muzzin?

Google say:

Luongo retired from the NHL following the end of the 2018-19 campaign. Just seven months after suiting up for his last game, he had a new job lined up. The Panthers announced on Nov. 13, 2019, that Luongo had been hired to become a special advisor to general manager Dale Tallon.

To me, that's a big difference. NHL shouldn't allow Muzzin to make extra money from the club he's on LTIR with by working in another capacity. There would be far less incentive to try coming back in the role that his original contract is for, creating more certainty for the Leafs.

Edited by Slegr

Muzzin has 1 year remaining on his contract and he won't be able to play but he keeps collecting his NHL salary because the contract is guaranteed.  If he wants to try pro-scouting in the meantime, which may be a path that leads towards becoming a GM one day, why not? 

If the Leafs want to pay him for that too, then that's between the Leafs and Muzzin.  I expect they're paying him next to nothing on a 1 year contract, then if he still wants to be a pro scout next year, he'll sign a normal pro scouts contract then.   

15 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Muzzin has 1 year remaining on his contract and he won't be able to play but he keeps collecting his NHL salary because the contract is guaranteed.  If he wants to try pro-scouting in the meantime, which may be a path that leads towards becoming a GM one day, why not? 

If the Leafs want to pay him for that too, then that's between the Leafs and Muzzin.  I expect they're paying him next to nothing on a 1 year contract, then if he still wants to be a pro scout next year, he'll sign a normal pro scouts contract then.   

The issue is that the Leafs are creating an incentive for him to remain on LTIR. If he really can never play again, he should retire, as did Luongo before taking the Panthers office job. If he did retire, the Leafs would take a hit with substantial dead cap space for the year, I believe. That’s the risk of  big, long contracts. Instead, the Leafs and Muzzin are having their cake and eating it too. Muzzin has zero intention of playing again now. He’s earning two separate pay checks within the Leaf org, and the Leafs are not penalized in any way.

Edited by Slegr

It does make me wonder if Luongo knew that was an option - to work for the Panthers in a different capacity than his player contract while on LTIR, if he would have stayed on it while doing that. Paul Byron announced his retirement and subsequently started a role as player development coach. Yet somehow, Leaf’s get to play by different rules. Seems very fishy to me, and I’m surprised more folks aren’t calling this out. But I guess when the Leafs control so many eastern media outlets, there are few voices to object.

12 minutes ago, Slegr said:

The issue is that the Leafs are creating an incentive for him to remain on LTIR. If he really can never play again, he should retire, as did Luongo before taking the Panthers office job. If he did retire, the Leafs would take a hit with substantial dead cap space for the year, I believe. That’s the risk of  big, long contracts. Instead, the Leafs and Muzzin are having their cake and eating it too. Muzzin has zero intention of playing again now. He’s earning two separate pay checks within the Leaf org, and the Leafs are not penalized in any way.

There are lots of guys who remain on LTIR for years when they know full well that they'll never play again.  Look at Dorsett, Ferland, Sutter, and Poolman.  You could argue that they earned their contracts and there's no way they're going to retire before collecting all the money.  It'd be foolish.  These players would all rather play but if they can't, they're going to collect the money because careers are short and for themselves and their families, they need to earn as much as they can from pro sport.  Some of these guys like Ferland might never be able to hold down a regular job due to the long term effects of concussions etc.  Nobody really blames them.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

Hmm... to me, it seems very odd that the NHL allows Muzzin to earn an extra pay cheque for the Leafs by working in a different capacity than the one he is on LTIR for. It seems like a conflict of interest to me. 

What's to stop an NHL team from convincing a player to remain on LTIR by paying him even more money by doing something else for the club? It just seems like if a player is on LTIR that he shouldn't be able to accept further paid positions by the team until his contract is done.

It feels like Leafs are always finding new ways to cheat the system.

Insurance is paying the LTIR. As long as a doc has signed off on it then it is what it is. If not, it's insurance fraud.

25 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

There are lots of guys who remain on LTIR for years when they know full well that they'll never play again.  Look at Dorsett, Ferland, Sutter, and Poolman.  You could argue that they earned their contracts and there's no way they're going to retire before collecting all the money.  It'd be foolish.  These players would all rather play but if they can't, they're going to collect the money because careers are short and for themselves and their families, they need to earn as much as they can from pro sport.  Some of these guys like Ferland might never be able to hold down a regular job due to the long term effects of concussions etc.  Nobody really blames them.

I agree 100% with that. I'm saying it's a conflict of interest when the team that you are on LTIR for - a team that has a contract with you to be a hockey player for them - also offers you an entirely different job that you wouldn't be able to do at the same time as playing, and you take it. It's both sides admitting that you will never actually return as a player, and even provides further incentive for both parties to ensure that never happens, (i.e. for a player on LTIR to stop even trying to return to the ice). If the NHL had any scruples, it wouldn't allow for it. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Slegr said:

does make me wonder if Luongo knew that was an option - to work for the Panthers in a different capacity than his player contract while on LTIR

Wonder the amount of compensation for Luongo and Muzzin is above average for their after hockey jobs?