Canucks Team Speed

JamesB

I'm less concerned about players skating quickly, but rather playing quickly.

Seen too many players come across this organization who had great wheels, skated like the wind, but the speed didn't lead to anything. This old adage i've heard from play by play guys saying "skate quick but doing a whole lot of nothing".

I think you can still play a "fast" game if you process the game quickly, get to the correct spots on the ice in a timely fashion, and move the puck around quickly. If you move the puck, get to places for your teammates to work off you consistently, then the game appears quicker. Brendan Batchelor made a good point on sportsnet 650 today was that the Canucks are getting to spots and better able to predict where their next move is. So teammates are able to trust you to make the right read and get to the next spot quickly to make the next play which is what is making this team look a lot more quicker - he cited Di Giuseppe, Miller, and Boeser show casing that a lot. They know where each is going to be due to proper structure and trust that their linemate will go where they should go/be when they make the next pass/breakout play.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

4 new additions either just this season or last potion of the last.  That's 1/3 change over of slower players to faster.  That confirms the eye test that they appear to be a quicker team... But to crazy 4 point... With the team system in place the players know where to be because they're playing within structure, which helps them play even quicker with confidence.  Right before our eyes... Within one season, we've gone from a below average bottom 3rd skating team to top 3rd... Fair to say?

Edited by Hogs and Podz
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I'm less concerned about players skating quickly, but rather playing quickly.

Seen too many players come across this organization who had great wheels, skated like the wind, but the speed didn't lead to anything. This old adage i've heard from play by play guys saying "skate quick but doing a whole lot of nothing".

I think you can still play a "fast" game if you process the game quickly, get to the correct spots on the ice in a timely fashion, and move the puck around quickly. If you move the puck, get to places for your teammates to work off you consistently, then the game appears quicker. Brendan Batchelor made a good point on sportsnet 650 today was that the Canucks are getting to spots and better able to predict where their next move is. So teammates are able to trust you to make the right read and get to the next spot quickly to make the next play which is what is making this team look a lot more quicker - he cited Di Giuseppe, Miller, and Boeser show casing that a lot. They know where each is going to be due to proper structure and trust that their linemate will go where they should go/be when they make the next pass/breakout play.

Absolutely right. We have seen plenty of players in the NHL who are very fast but don't do much. So speed has to be combined with knowing what to do with that speed. And that is where coaching (and structure) come in. But if you know what you are doing, more speed is always a plus. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

4 new additions either just this season or last potion of the last.  That's 1/3 change over of slower players to faster.  That confirms the eye test that they appear to be a quicker team... But to crazy 4 point... With the team system in place the players know where to be because they're playing within structure, which helps them play even quicker with confidence.  Right before our eyes... Within one season, we've gone from a below average bottom 3rd skating team to top 3rd... Fair to say?

Agree completely. Adding guys like Lafferty and Friedman have increased team speed "under the radar".

And knowing what to do helps players process the game quickly, increasing the team's pace of play even without increasing actual skating speed.

And I think it is right that they have gone from bottom third to top third in team skating. (Having a "big summer" certainly helped guys like Studnicka, Boeser, Miller and other guys as well.)

I like what management has done and I like what Tocchet has done. And I like that they are on the same page (as is Jeremy Colliton in Abby).

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Agree completely. Adding guys like Lafferty and Friedman have increased team speed "under the radar".

And knowing what to do helps players process the game quickly, increasing the team's pace of play even without increasing actual skating speed.

And I think it is right that they have gone from bottom third to top third in team skating. (Having a "big summer" certainly helped guys like Studnicka, Boeser, Miller and other guys as well.)

I like what management has done and I like what Tocchet has done. And I like that they are on the same page (as is Jeremy Colliton in Abby).

Which makes a much more enjoyable product on ice to cheer for.  Appreciate you highlighting this topic JB.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

Absolutely right. We have seen plenty of players in the NHL who are very fast but don't do much. So speed has to be combined with knowing what to do with that speed. And that is where coaching (and structure) come in. But if you know what you are doing, more speed is always a plus. 

One player come to mind to this is… Mason Raymond… Fast skater, weak puckhandling and finishing, and always fall down in the corners. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

It's not just about speed, but how you forecheck and use it. PDG doesn't strike me as the fastest player but he goes into places that makes it really difficult for opponents, crashes and bangs and frees up loose pucks for his linemates. Mikheyev and Garland are also quick, but decent forecheckers. We're using our speed within our structure of forechecking which is why it's so effective.

I think props to our scouting for picking up very good depth/fringe AHLers lately. Lafferty was an absolute bargain. Friedman has looked great next to Cole so far (albeit in a small bunch of games) and really released Myers this way too. We're yet to even see Blueger's effect.

When you watch the really solid teams like Carolina in their prime or Vegas right now, they're fast but really hard to get through though. They skate well and stand you up really well and I think that's what we're trying to do - our forwards skate well but our defence are standing up well and slowing other team's speed down.

It's speed plus the systems and style of play that highlight speed:  gap control and stepping up on defense to create a quick transition game, which relies on forwards backchecking, disrupting play and providing puck support after a turnover.  Getting in on the forecheck definitely helps, but a quick reversal of play is more dangerous and we've been really good at that this year. 

8 hours ago, Crimson JH said:

One player come to mind to this is… Mason Raymond… Fast skater, weak puckhandling and finishing, and always fall down in the corners. 

This need for speed - he's the go to guy.   Other things matter.   If speed was the only thing, Hedican would be in the HHOF, as would Raymond, as would Hagelin and so many others.