We need a new goal song!!!

All right boys… And girls… We need a new goal song…

A song that fires up the crowd…

A song that is ELECTRIC and POWERFUL

Enough of that narcissistic Simple Minds crap… don’t you forget about me…

It’s completely depressing imho…

It’s the sound of letting air out of a balloon…

let’s open it up for discussion…

What song do you think should be the goal song for the Canucks?

I’m gonna start by suggesting ‘Tommy Gun’ by The Clash because it just has such an explosive intro…

your thoughts…

123…

go!

27 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I’m gonna start by suggesting ‘Tommy Gun’ by The Clash because it just has such an explosive intro…

your thoughts…

123…

go!

No We Don't. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Can you record yourself singing "we need a new goal song" and submit it to the Canucks? I feel like that'd cleanly tie up any future goal song complaints given the fanbase never seems to be satisfied with any given goal song. 

Amazing idea !!!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Amazing idea !!!

But make sure you sing in a silly manner so listeners can tell it's satirical, otherwise we'll have fans complaining about how "we need a new goal song" is sung you know? 

Too much bass, too nasally, why couldn't they have hired a professional.. 

• Haha 1

Interesting - so far if seems as though people don’t seem to care about the goal song… I’m a musician and music totally affects me on a profoundly deep level…

so it matters to me… I feel like it’s a total let down hearing Simple Minds whining narcissistically “ “don’t you forget about me “

Its simply not a celebratory song or thought… It just doesn’t suit the occasion or the situation or the context of celebrating somebody scoring a goal…

But I’m getting the point that people just don’t seem to care about that… Or notice ?   

Again everyone’s different…

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Interesting - so far if seems as though people don’t seem to care about the goal song… I’m a musician and music totally affects me on a profoundly deep level…

so it matters to me… I feel like it’s a total let down hearing Simple Minds whining narcissistically “ “don’t you forget about me “

Its simply not a celebratory song or thought… It just doesn’t suit the occasion or the situation or the context of celebrating somebody scoring a goal…

But I’m getting the point that people just don’t seem to care about that… Or notice ?   

I'm not kidding I think the Primus song i posted would be great as a goal song. 

And this should be our intro song...

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

On the contrary!! I am with you all the way but I think this is the 37th We Need a New Goal So g thread I’ve seen since CFF was born and I’ve yet to read a single reply from Canucks management suggesting they would even remotely consider our wishes

Side note: hard rock heavy metal hack guitarist and other instrumentalist dabbler here. What kinda stuff do you play?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

your thoughts…

123…

go!

My thoughts..

Current goal song does not fit, as you said.

This song, and perhaps all Clash songs, will not fit.

Maybe the sax solo in Madness - One Step Beyond for the goal song.

For the game introductions, the instrumental intro to Baba O'Reilly by The Who.

50 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Dump any Abba as well.

Replace it with "The Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin.

Which is what I recommended as both the entry and goals songs on the old board. 

We had one season in the last 25 I can think of where the DJ was solid playing metal and classic rock songs. You know...the type of songs that amp up a crowd....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

The crowd makes the atmosphere.  The DJ is merely the catalyst.  I don’t think the Canucks fans are good at getting amped up.

• ThereItIs 2

Owww. I want to play this game but my brain has frozen. Definitely need a new goal song and D.J.

The Athletic put it well ...

21. Vancouver Canucks: ‘Don’t You (Forget About Me)’ by Simple Minds (4.79)

Loading video

Lazerus: I nearly fell out of the press box upon hearing this at Rogers Arena this season. How is this a goal song? It’s got all the camp of Hall and Oates with none of the fun. It’d be better if every player celebrated every goal by raising a fist and freeze-framing, Judd Nelson-style.

Reader comments:

• “Vancouver’s song is a prime example of their disarray.”
  • “As much as I like the Canucks’ goal song, I give it a bad grade because it sounds less like a celebration of a goal and more like a desperate plea for relevancy. Honestly baffled that anyone in the organization green-lit that one.”

Its such an anti-climax and not really a 'we're going to beat you' type of song. It's a momentum killer and fluff saying 'you know what we're kinda good too'. Rather than 'We seriously rock - we have the Quininator!!!!’

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1