Death of the Canuck Calendar

Slegr

With the impending death of the original CDC this season, one other loss that doesn’t seem to be getting any recognition is the cancellation of the annual Canuck calendar.

For those unfamiliar, the Canucks via local pharmacies (it used to be Shoppers Drug Mart, then Pharmasave) would traditionally put out a calendar that showed the games they’d play and a player profiled each month. I had purchased the calendars every year since the early 1990s all up until last year, when the organization went sideways with its dogs love and decided to profile players’ pets rather than the players. I refused to buy the calendar (which had gone up in price in recent years) just to hang up pictures of pets who meant nothing to me.

I knew those calendars wouldn’t sell well, and now it seems the organization and local pharmacy lost enough money on the foolish idea that they stayed away from making any further calendars this year.

It may not sound very important in the big picture, but I was pretty disappointed. What had become an annual tradition with the organization was dropped, and it just became one less way fans could stay connected to the team.

Did anyone else on here used to get the calendars?

• Vintage 2

50 minutes ago, Slegr said:

With the impending death of the original CDC this season, one other loss that doesn’t seem to be getting any recognition is the cancellation of the annual Canuck calendar.

For those unfamiliar, the Canucks via local pharmacies (it used to be Shoppers Drug Mart, then Pharmasave) would traditionally put out a calendar that showed the games they’d play and a player profiled each month. I had purchased the calendars every year since the early 1990s all up until last year, when the organization went sideways with its dogs love and decided to profile players’ pets rather than the players. I refused to buy the calendar (which had gone up in price in recent years) just to hang up pictures of pets who meant nothing to me.

I knew those calendars wouldn’t sell well, and now it seems the organization and local pharmacy lost enough money on the foolish idea that they stayed away from making any further calendars this year.

It may not sound very important in the big picture, but I was pretty disappointed. What had become an annual tradition with the organization was dropped, and it just became one less way fans could stay connected to the team.

I used to get them as an early Christmas present.

• Vintage 1

I had also got them from about 1989 on but stopped a few years ago. I had bought some from the 80’s on eBay to fill in missing years. Some really good memories in them. I sold quite a few of them a while back but kept a few from 1994, 2011, etc. 

• Vintage 1

My completely unscientific and baseless guess is that they felt they could only get away with printing photos of JTM9, TD35, EP40, and QH43 for so long before people clued in that there would be no other players in the calendars moving forward (because the rest would all be subject to potential trade), and they can't print prospect photos because they're not playing in the league.

YMMV.

Another short-sighted move by mgmt but such is life. Just keep icing a team and I won't whine too hard

Big time annual tradition for me to pick up a handful of calendars as soon as they came out, give a couple to friends and put up mine to begin marking scores after every game and use it as an at-a-glance way to plan my week ahead.

Have just been tracking scores on a note on my phone now but, thanks to this thread, I think I'll go out and buy a decent looking wall calendar from the mall some time this week then just mark in all the games we've played so far and those still to be played.

49 minutes ago, Steamer4GM said:

Another short-sighted move by mgmt but such is life. Just keep icing a team and I won't whine too hard

Big time annual tradition for me to pick up a handful of calendars as soon as they came out, give a couple to friends and put up mine to begin marking scores after every game and use it as an at-a-glance way to plan my week ahead.

Have just been tracking scores on a note on my phone now but, thanks to this thread, I think I'll go out and buy a decent looking wall calendar from the mall some time this week then just mark in all the games we've played so far and those still to be played.

Thanks for sharing. I remember in 1994, I was going along in my calendar, creating the playoff games in there, putting in the logos of the opposition with full on colouring them in, with each series, and putting in the scores each game. I wish I kept that one, as it showed such a journey, from the regular season through to the magical playoff run with my own calendar entries that looked as professional as I could make them.

• Vintage 1

I remember they used to be free at Shoppers Drug mart. Then they were $1 each which was ok. Then the price kept jumping and they moved to Pharmasave or something we don't have here in the Yukon. 

Was disappointed with the move. I enjoyed having these as a young child and even as a teenager. I remember always checking to see the new Linden, Ronning, McLean  and see if Odjick was included that year. 

Bonehead move to cancel them. I understand player salaries are getting out of hand but I would rather they spent the money on Calanders than sign Rousell for 3.5mil or whatever it was.

On 11/4/2023 at 8:49 AM, Slegr said:

Every year, hung up in my "play room".  How I loved those calenders.  Living in the okanagan in the 70's and 80's, going to Van was a huge adventure, but we still managed to see 8-10 games a year and I'd circle the games we were going to.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Was at a Pharmasave today so I asked.  Sounds like they're being sold at Chapters/Indigo this year.  Googled it quick and they're about $25

The Indigo ones are not the same thing. They’re just the basic wall calendar without the schedule built into it or profiles / facts of players. The previous ones from pharmacies gave proceeds to Canuck Place and had good coupons in them.

Edited by Slegr
  • Thanks 1