Official Return of Atlanta Thrashers Thread

Maybe some of you have heard rumblings about the league expanding yet again with Atlanta as a potential landing spot. What do you all think? I, for one, would welcome the return of our beloved Thrashers. Who's with me? What other expansion cities would you like to see? If your first thought was Quebec City, I smugly laugh at you.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, atlantathrashers said:

Maybe some of you have heard rumblings about the league expanding yet again with Atlanta as a potential landing spot. What do you all think? I, for one, would welcome the return of our beloved Thrashers. Who's with me? What other expansion cities would you like to see? If your first thought was Quebec City, I smugly laugh at you.

I would like Atlanta, Quebec, Salt Lake City and Houston, also relocate Arizona to Kansas/Salt Lake and have the other city be the expansion team if the Arena saga is not settled by January or so

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, atlantathrashers said:

Third time is the charm, as they say 💪

• Cheers 2

Lowkey, I loved the Thrashers logo and jerseys as a kid. So sign me up. Arizona to Houston or Kansas City. Please, for the love of the hockey gods.

We'd likely need 2 teams expanding in, so one more with Atlanta assuming they get an expansion. I don't like the idea of odd number of teams. But Houston/KC, QC, and Atlanta I am for getting teams. Houston/KC to keep hockey in that central area there. Atlanta cause it's a big US market that Buttman loves, and QC to throw a bone at us Canadians. Literally everyone wins, except the Coyote's 300 fans.

• Cheers 2

Really depends on the situation in my opinion. For Atlanta to work, you need the right ownership with the right arena. The fact that Atlanta's "failed" twice (how fair it is to say "failed" or not is another question) I think's going to hamper the ability of them coming back. Don't get me wrong. I do think it could work with teams like Nashville and Tampa thriving, but it's not without risk at this point.

TLDR, I think Atlanta would have to show itself to have something solid in terms of ownership and arena for it to even be considered at this point.

In terms of other potential cities. my guesses would be Houston and Salt Lake City being the most likely to get franchises. Houston is another massive city that could develop a rivalry with Dallas and Salt Lake City would have Colorado as a rival, so immediately there's something to sell for both. Other potentials (ignoring arenas, etc) could be Portland, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Jacksonville, Baltimore, etc.

Edited by The Lock

I'm pretty sure it's gonna happen at some point, the league doesn't want to miss out on that expansion fee, and Atlanta is like the 6th or 7th biggest TV market in the US. Look at how stubborn the league was/is with Arizona. They force it till it works out.

Edited by Rubik
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I would like Atlanta, Quebec, Salt Lake City and Houston, also relocate Arizona to Kansas/Salt Lake and have the other city be the expansion team if the Arena saga is not settled by January or so

Roswell.

The fan support would be out of this world.

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. So then why go back there again?

The last owners only bought them to get the Hawks, put no money into development, no marketing, Phillips Arena had poor sight lines for hockey too. The Thrashers were doing ok with original ownership. The last ownership just didn’t care about them or hockey.