GMs discussing rule changes to 3-on-3 OT

They should just drop it to 2-on-2 after 5 minutes, then 1-on-1 after another 5 minutes, and then just goalie-on-goalie after another 5 minutes. Stupid? Probably. Fun? I think so! That one game a year that actually makes it to the goalie-on-goalie phase would be must-watch TV.

• Haha 1

I don't mind the idea of not going back over the red line, but I think the blue line is a little too restrictive.

Maybe though, to keep the game going, if they violate the rule they have to dump the puck back into the opponents zone and allow them to reach the blue line before checking again.  That way they lose posession which would be a worse penalty than having a faceoff.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

rock-paper-scissors between mascots to decide outcome

Or maybe mano a mano, have the GMs face off at centre ice and the first one to tap out loses.

Kind of like my idea for the draft lottery - cage match, last GM standing wins 1st overall.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Or maybe mano a mano, have the GMs face off at centre ice and the first one to tap out loses.

Kind of like my idea for the draft lottery - cage match, last GM standing wins 1st overall.

I like our chances better if it's the coach!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EB43 said:

I think it’s fine just the way it is.. except it should just continue until a team scores, ditch the shootout.

I completely agree but it's unlikely to be unlimited.  It will mess up the timing of TV double-headers and TV calls the shots.  GCG!

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

I don't mind making some kind of change. OT is most entertaining when teams are trading chances. Not so much when teams are looking for the perfect play, and keep regrouping just to avoid giving up possession.

14 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

in think good as is, I would agree with the idea of making it 10min, most teams bound to score 

57 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

I don't mind the idea of not going back over the red line, but I think the blue line is a little too restrictive.

Maybe though, to keep the game going, if they violate the rule they have to dump the puck back into the opponents zone and allow them to reach the blue line before checking again.  That way they lose posession which would be a worse penalty than having a faceoff.

I have often thought that this kind of rule should be adopted. I like 3-on-3 play and often get frustrated when teams loop back, taking time off the clock.

Most people would like a longer (10 min?) OT but it is a tough sell because of TV scheduling. Also, I think the NHLPA prefers the shorter clock.

I would use a red line rule --once you have possession over the center line you cannot carry, pass, or shoot puck back to your own half of the ice. If  you do it is an "offside" and you have a D-zone face-off and cannot make substitutions (just like icing).  If this encourages the defending team to put pressure on the team with possession at the red line -- great. It is a nice risk-reward tradeoff.

I am all in favor, and it would reduce the number of shoot-outs. And if the NHL could presuade the networks to also add a couple of minutes to OT (7 instead of 5) that would be even better.

• Like 1

shot clock is a stupid idea.

the over and back across the center line has merit. prevents teams from just killing the clock.

o/t should go 3 on 3 for up to 10 minutes. if still tied ... 1 pt each. 

but I also think that a win in reg time should be 3pts, win in o/t 2 pts and a tie is 1 pt each team.

this would encourage teams to win it as fast as possible. 

Edited by grumpyone

54 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I like our chances better if it's the coach!

That's true, I guess the GM doesn't always attend away games, but the coach must.

Not that it would necessarily matter.  GMPA looks like a psychotic killer if you take his glasses away.  :hurhur:

From what I remember back in the day when ties were still a thing, it led to some pretty dull play near the end of a game where neither team wanted to squander a point.

I find 3 on 3 overtime fun. It can really showcase what the best skaters and puck-handlers can do and I’d be ok with extending it to 10 minutes and/or creating a red-line rule. 

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

I have often thought that this kind of rule should be adopted. I like 3-on-3 play and often get frustrated when teams loop back, taking time off the clock.

Most people would like a longer (10 min?) OT but it is a tough sell because of TV scheduling. Also, I think the NHLPA prefers the shorter clock.

But is a 10 min OT longer than 5 min OT + SO?