Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Sharpshooter

I am hopelessly miles behind anything current in the movie market...but finally got around to watching The H8ful Eight.

Now, I had NO idea even what this movie was about or who directed it but figured it out very quickly!! To say I LOVED this movie is a definite understatement... once I realized it was a Tarantino movie, I was in, hook, line and sinker. That some of my favourite people were in it was just a bonus. I love black humour but even Tarantino can make me question why I'm laughing at something so awfully terrible but hilarious. Sorry but laughing my ass off while JJ Leigh is swinging in the air with Kurt's arm still handcuffed to her made me question whether or not I should seek out some help. I immediately wanted to watch it again for all the stuff I missed while laughing out loud...

Rated 11/10 IF you like this sort of humour and movie.

Pulp Fiction and The H8ful Eight moved higher up on the Top Fave Movie's List.

hateful-eight-01.jpg.068e39d7d663a9f40d62f19c9028a125.jpg

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

In the land of Saints and sinners

6/10

Liam Neeson as an Irishman, contemplating his life choices. It was slow and predictable and could’ve been quite a bit better. However, I still think it’s better than average has enough entertainment to keep you engaged for the whole 106 minutes not bad, but not great.

The holdovers
5/10

Not your typical holiday movie just broken people working to come together not a bad storyline just kind of meanders as the group learns about one another, keeps you compelled for the whole 133 minute run time . Would I watch it again probably not but I had a few laughs during it , it feels a lot like the old TV movies that would come out.

Edited by Bllewellyn

• 2 weeks later...

The family plan

It’s a list star if you can call Mark Wahlberg, an A-list action type star,  in a very B rate movie. Mark‘s old life catches up with his new life and leads to all the shenanigans. There’s some funny bits, but it feels very underwhelming..

6/10 still worth wasting 119 minutes on but barely

On 12/1/2023 at 7:03 PM, Cerridwen said:

I am hopelessly miles behind anything current in the movie market...but finally got around to watching The H8ful Eight.

Now, I had NO idea even what this movie was about or who directed it but figured it out very quickly!! To say I LOVED this movie is a definite understatement... once I realized it was a Tarantino movie, I was in, hook, line and sinker. That some of my favourite people were in it was just a bonus. I love black humour but even Tarantino can make me question why I'm laughing at something so awfully terrible but hilarious. Sorry but laughing my ass off while JJ Leigh is swinging in the air with Kurt's arm still handcuffed to her made me question whether or not I should seek out some help. I immediately wanted to watch it again for all the stuff I missed while laughing out loud...

Rated 11/10 IF you like this sort of humour and movie.

Pulp Fiction and The H8ful Eight moved higher up on the Top Fave Movie's List.

hateful-eight-01.jpg.068e39d7d663a9f40d62f19c9028a125.jpg

Hateful Eight’s one you can watch over and over. There’s lots of subtleties in characters and plot ect that get missed first time around. Micheal Madsen is sooooo goooood in anything he does.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Rebel Moon :part one, child of fire

Netflix movie. A show I found very visually appealing. The worlds are pretty cool and some of the creatures are very Star Wars worthy.storylines, typical small force against big force. I’m not sure how many parts are in it. part one was a little lacking. Everything seems just a little bit shallow like the character build out is a little shallow, Real slow build I guess I just kept watching it and there’s just something missing I found. Hopefully part two fills it out more and it gets better.

6.5/10

• 4 weeks later...

Knights of the zodiac. 

Modern day reenactment of Greek type mythology, god‘s fighting over earth, good versus evil that sort of thing reminds me of a lot of a Disney family movie. An OK way to waste a cold afternoon, if you like family type movies

6/10 

Edited by Bllewellyn

Self-reliance

It has Jake Johnson and Anna Kendrick in it. Full disclosure I would probably watch any movie just because of Anna however this movie was OK on its own. The premise of the movie is a down on his luck Guy decides to do a game to make money. I could actually see this happening in today’s society for real. it’s a fluff movie or a romcom but it’s worth the hour and a half airtime

7.5 /10

Watching Past Lives, a movie about a Korean boy and girl who grew up together in Seoul as innocent sweethearts but then she left to live in NY and then started her own life... then he goes to find her years later and they reconnect, with her being a married woman.

It's an interesting (if somewhat uncomfortable) discussion of the what could've been's had fates aligned in different ways, and the wistful acceptance of pasts in the face of present realities.  It's uncomfortable in the way that the interweave silences and glances between the two sweethearts even though you know there won't be anything more beyond the lingering sentiments of their memories, and that makes for such an interesting unspoken conversation about fates and alternate lives.

It's not really my kind of movie, but it has its significance; 7/10  

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

Watched Boy and the Heron; for the Ghibli fans out there, Miyazaki's supposed last film.

Beautiful artwork; plot wise, I give it an "I don't get it" out of 10.  The themes e.g. of legacy and conflicts between reality and the idealized world exist, but I'll probably have to re-watch it to catch all the nuances.

On 11/3/2023 at 12:43 PM, Tofu_Bud said:

Killers of the Flower Moon - 8/10 

Saw it in theatre and Im glad I did.  Not sure I would have appreciated it as much at home.  Excellent story telling.  

The Killer - 8/10

7 for me. I found it took too long for the story, a lot of repetition of the same themes.

De Niros character was chilling tho.

• Cheers 2

The beekeeper

Probably one of the best action movies I’ve seen in a bit. It’s your typical shoot them up knock them down, type action movie with  Jason stratum . The supporting actress I didn’t find very good, but other than that it was not that bad of movie.

8/10

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

8.5/10

Spoiler

I know a lot of Star Wars fans aren't big fans of the newer releases, but I really enjoyed it. The action/fighting scenes were well done and I liked the story as well as the comic relief. It was kind of ehh that they just made a new Death Star as if it wasn't done before, and I question that Finn and Rey were competent enough with the lightsabre to hold off Kylo Ren. But overall I'm happy I watched it and look forward to finishing the sequels.

• 2 weeks later...

Dune Part 2

8.5 / 10

FTR Im a big Dennis Villeneuve and Dune fan.  Its a very beautiful/well shot film.  Moments are super captivating (like the Geidi Prime/Harkonen scenes.  Im glad it is getting near perfect scores but maybe because I already know the Dune story I wasnt blown away?  I still consider Sicario one of DV’s best films and I would put Dune (both part 1&2) in a tier below along w Arrival/Bladerunner 2049/Prisoners etc.  

• Cheers 1