[PROPOSAL] Anthony Beauvillier AND Conor Garland to Columbus

To Columbus:

Anthony Beauvillier (50% retention)

Conor Garland

Akito Hirose

To Vancouver:

Andrew Peeke

Sean Kuraly

Why does Vancouver do this?  We get an upgrade at RHD over Juulsen and Friedman.  We also get a strong and fast bottom 6 forward who can play centre or left wing.  We also free up $1.75 million in cap space to sign Phil the thrill Kessel to replace Garland.

Why does Columbus do this?  They need help with scoring.  Alot of help.  Garland can play in their top 6.  Beauvillier can help as well and they get him off the books next year.  They can also trade Beauvillier with 50% retention at the deadline (so only $1.1 million) for a 3rd round pick.  I don't see an opening for Hirose in Vancouver but maybe he can crack the Columbus lineup next season.

Kuzmenko     Pettersson     Mikheyev

PDG               Miller              Boeser

Joshua          Suter              Kessel

Kuraly           Blueger           Lafferty

Hoglander

Hughes       Hronek

Cole            Peeke

Soucy         Myers

Brisebois    Friedman

Demko    DeSmith

We get bigger and stronger with Peeke and Kuraly and our penalty killing improves as well.  I know some of you don't like Peeke, but he is an upgrade on Juulsen and Friedman.  And we open up cap space to sign Kessel as well.  And we get better in the playoffs with Kessel too.  He has 83 points in 100 playoff games.  Kessel is the "reward" that Allvin promised...

Who doesn't like this?

Edited by Elias Pettersson

Sorry to keep 'butting heads' with you but the trade is kind of 'meh' for me.

First of all, Phil Kessel is washed up.  He *had* 83 points in 100 games.   

There's a reason why guys like him and Alex Edler haven't been signed as of yet.   

No idea why some guys on here want to sign either player. Father Time remains undefeated. 

Peeke would be a nice short-term band-aid until we get healthy again, but still, I don't like the idea of moving a prospect like Hirose for what would essentially be a short-term band-aid until Soucy comes back.  At some point, if you want to develop your prospects and get them to the next level, you have to be willing to bring them up and play them when injuries occur.  Yes guys like Hirose and McWard will make mistakes while up here but that's the only way they are going to learn and get better. Give your kids NHL exposure on bottom pairings and then sign Bear when he's available. You either commit to having infrastructure and links between your farm and your big club, or you don't (hint - ever since the good ol' days when guys like Burrows, Bieksa, Hansen, Raymond, etc., all came up, we haven't had this!).  

Given Garland's cap hit + term for two years after this, I'm just not sure if I see Columbus being happy with this deal.  

Paying Kurlay $2.5 million dollars for this season and next  (to be a 4th liner in your projection) wouldn't be very good cap management in my opinion.  There are other ways to add toughness without needing to shell out $2.5 million.  

Just my $0.02.

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

To start, Hirose absolutely has a place on this team.  Not much has changed since we signed him at the end of last season.  He is nearly NHL-ready and will likely challenge for a fulltime spot next year.  I don't think we are going to so quickly give up on a prospect that has done nothing but impress us in the short time he's had here.

But from the Columbus side... a shrewd Jackets GM would say no to this.  Sean Kuraly is one of the few players pulling his weight on that horrendous team.  That line of Texier-Kuraly-Danforth is punching well above its weight.  To that end, Columbus will obviously try and trade the forwards that are not pulling their weight.  Sillinger.  Plivier.  Bemstrom.  Johnson.  Even Laine or Gaudreau.  A shrewd GM would package some of those players off and get a goalie instead of relying on superstar Spencer Martin.

A shrewd GM... Kekäläinen is certainly not.  Half of the Jackets fanbase (what's left of it) is on suicide watch and the other half want Jarmo shoved into one of those cannons.  Look at this image and tell me this is a team that has any clue on what the right thing to do is:

image.png.ba4c9f594ebd17fd6ccb9cb5e183e69c.png

Oh yeah, here's your hot dog by the way

image.png.a0a1503c45df18e9f98293de9a9b3e50.png

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Canucks need toughness. Does this trade help, a lot? 

Looking at the prospects (mainly Abby, but also younger prospects), they don't really have a player who will provide that energy, physicality, in your face competitiveness.

Who do they have? Klimovich? Maybe not,  possibly not even an NHL player. I'd maybe say Podz, but he doesn't play to get to the other team. For a big guy, he plays with hesitation and uncertainty, and a bit of fear to engage. McDonough? HA! More like McDonut. He seems way too happy to beat up on opponents. Jett Woo? Maybe he lands some nice hits, but again, possibly not an NHL player. 

Petey, Kuzmenko and Beauvillier may struggle when the big boys come out to play in the post-season. 

6 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

A shrewd GM... Kekäläinen is certainly not.  Half of the Jackets fanbase (what's left of it) is on suicide watch and the other half want Jarmo shoved into one of those cannons.  Look at this image and tell me this is a team that has any clue on what the right thing to do is:

I honestly have no idea how he has kept his job for this long. He's assembled a roster of trash. His 2 leading scorers are defencemen. One of whom was a cast off from the Flyers. The signing of Johnny Gaudreau might be the worst contract in the league and I am including Huberdeau. Johhny Hockey has 2 goals and 7 total points in 19 games. Has a shooting percentage of 4% and is a team leading -7. And he's signed forever.

Not even going to mention the Babcock fiasco.

Jarmo has to be a dead man walking at this point.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

I honestly have no idea how he has kept his job for this long. He's assembled a roster of trash. His 2 leading scorers are defencemen. One of whom was a cast off from the Flyers. The signing of Johnny Gaudreau might be the worst contract in the league and I am including Huberdeau. Johhny Hockey has 2 goals and 7 total points in 19 games. Has a shooting percentage of 4% and is a team leading -7. And he's signed forever.

Not even going to mention the Babcock fiasco.

Jarmo has to be a dead man walking at this point.

I find him to be one of the most arrogant GM's in interviews. I bet he's thoroughly confused about what he's created.

• Vintage 1