Explosion At US/Canadian Border

Sabrefan1

As an American-Canadian-Texan, I am shocked but not surprised.  Once all of the facts are known, the characters identified, justice should be swift.  But Americans are paranoid, and in this state, gun-toting and trigger happy. That is what kind of scares me.

Edited by The Colt 45s

• Sabrefan1 changed the title to Sorry. False Alarm. CBS is slow on the uptake apparently.
5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Our news is slow.  I'll change the title.  Thanks.

No  No.  I was just pointing out that the vehicle was going at high speed and then lest control.  Could have taken out other vehicles and likely missed the intended target if this was a deliberate act.

12 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Our news is slow.  I'll change the title.  Thanks.

I don't think you over reacted and appreciated your OP.   I'll be happy to hear it was just some idiot rather than something more terrifying.   This really could have been a big deal. 

• Cheers 3

42 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

No  No.  I was just pointing out that the vehicle was going at high speed and then lest control.  Could have taken out other vehicles and likely missed the intended target if this was a deliberate act.

Thanks.  I'll keep an eye on the story and update the title as needed.  The FBI is there and I saw plenty of state trooper cruisers pass by on my way home from an appointment in the city so they should have an idea soon what happened. 

I'll bet the Peace Bridge on both borders is tighter than a drum right now.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Thanks.  I'll keep an eye on the story and update the title as needed.  The FBI is there and I saw plenty of state trooper cruisers pass by on my way home from an appointment in the city so they should have an idea soon what happened. 

I'll bet the Peace Bridge on both borders is tighter than a drum right now.

Forget CBS. I'm tuning into the SBRFN broadcast from now on. 

• Haha 1

Here's what CBC is reporting:

2 dead after explosion at Rainbow Bridge connecting New York-Ontario

Peace, Rainbow, Queenston/Lewiston bridges shut down amid an investigation

conrad-collaco.jpg
Conrad Collaco · CBC News · Posted: Nov 22, 2023 10:46 AM PST | Last Updated: 6 minutes ago

thumbnail.jpeg?crop=1.777xh:h;*,*&downsi

LIVE | Niagara border crossing closed after bridge explosion

2 hours ago
LIVE
Featured VideoWatch CBC News Network live coverage of this breaking news story.

Two people are dead following an explosion on the American side of the Rainbow Bridge that has shut border crossings between Ontario and New York, two Canadian government sources have confirmed to CBC News.

The sources said answers about what happened may take some time as the vehicle involved was badly burned. 

At this point, the Canadian government is "highly confident" the car originated in the United States, they said.  

Debris under bridge
Debris is scattered about inside the customs plaza at the Rainbow Bridge border crossing on Wednesday in Niagara Falls, N.Y. The border crossing between U.S. and Canada has been closed after a vehicle exploded at a checkpoint on a bridge near Niagara Falls. ((Derek Gee/The Buffalo News via The Associated Press))

The information comes after the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Buffalo Field Office said on social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter, that it was investigating a vehicle explosion.

"The FBI is coordinating with our local, state and federal law enforcement partners in this investigation. As this situation is very fluid, that's all we can say at this time."

The Peace, Rainbow and Queenston/Lewiston bridges connecting Canada and the U.S. have all been closed. The Buffalo Niagara International airport is also shut to departures and arrivals, the U.S. Federal Aviation Authority said.

PMO in contact with U.S. officials

Justin Trudeau's press secretary, Jenna Ghassabeh, said in an email that the prime minister has been briefed "by the national security and intelligence adviser about the situation in Niagara Falls."

The email said the Prime Minister's Office is "in contact with the U.S officials. The minister of public safety, RCMP and CBSA are fully engaged and providing all necessary support."

"It's a very serious situation," Trudeau said, speaking to the House of Commons on Wednesday afternoon, adding his office will "remain engaged" on the incident for the rest of the day.

There is no firm conclusion on whether the explosion was intentional or not, they added. Because it was an explosion at a site of critical infrastructure, the operating assumption from government is there is a security threat until proven otherwise. 

A spokesperson for the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) told CBC Hamilton via email that the agency is "liaising with our U.S. counterparts on this matter," and the FBI is leading the investigation.

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul said on X that New York State Police are working with the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force "to monitor all points of entry to New York" as a result of the explosion. 

Security increased

The U.S. transportation agency the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority said it was "increasing security system-wide." It said cars entering Buffalo's airport will undergo security checks and travellers can "expect additional screenings." 

Security has also been stepped up at other Canadian border crossings.

The Detroit-Windsor Tunnel is operating at a "heightened level of security" in wake of the explosion at the Rainbow Bridge. In a statement, the tunnel's chief executive officer said the crossing is open but some delays are expected.  As of 3:40 p.m., delays are less than 15 minutes. Officials are monitoring the situation at other Windsor-Detroit border crossings as well.

Ron Rienas, general manager of the Peace Bridge, told CBC Hamilton the bridges were shut down early on Wednesday afternoon.

"We have major issues happening right now at the U.S. borders in the Niagara Region," Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Sgt. Kerry Schmidt said. "Niagara Regional Police, Niagara Parks Police as well as Canada Border Services are working on an incident in that area."

The Rainbow Bridge connects the tourism sectors of Niagara Falls, Ont., and Niagara Falls, N.Y. It has 16 car inspection lanes into the U.S. and 15 into Canada. The Niagara Falls Bridge Commission website, which oversees the three bridges, says they see about seven million passages annually.

The Niagara Falls Canada fire department's spokesperson said they are not involved in the response and have not sent any crews out.

WATCH | OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt says incident is having a major impact: 

CBC_NEWS_NOW_CLEAN_WED_1300_frame_99151.

Niagara border crossings shut after explosion on Ontario-N.Y. bridge

3 hours ago
Duration5:20
A vehicle exploded at a checkpoint on the U.S. side of the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls on Wednesday, authorities say, prompting border crossing closures. OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt says the incident is having a major impact on traffic ahead of U.S. Thanksgiving.

Niagara Regional Police Service wrote on X there is "no known threat on the Canadian side" of the border. The service added the public should expect to see more police out, as well as road closures near the bridges and "significant traffic congestion on Niagara roadways, including highways."

On X, Toronto police wrote that while they are unaware of any threats to Toronto, they would be increasing officer patrols "out of an abundance of caution" following the bridge incident.

'It was nerve racking': Ont. traveller on nearby bridge

Ontario real estate agent Forrest Willett was waiting to cross into the U.S. over the Peace Bridge for work on Wednesday when border officers began approaching cars. 

He said an officer told him they were evacuating the bridge as there'd been an explosion at the nearby Rainbow Bridge.

man directing traffic
A police officer directs tourists in Niagara Falls, N.Y., away from the Rainbow Bridge border crossing after a car exploded within the customs plaza on Wednesday. ((Derek Gee/The Buffalo News via The Associated Press))

Willett said he felt like the "elevator floor" had dropped out from under him and he was counting down the seconds until he could get off the bridge.

"If you can imagine, the bridge was packed with cars that had to turn around and be sent back to Canada," Willett said. "It was nerve racking." 

He said the officers directed traffic and all personal vehicles drove off the bridge within 20 minutes. They're now crammed on streets and parking lots and people wait for the bridge to reopen, he said mid-afternoon. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/rainbow-bridge-explosion-niagara-1.7036398

• Cheers 1

• Sabrefan1 changed the title to Explosion At US/Canadian Border