NBA / Toronto Raptors

Rubik

Nice to see the Kings beat the Dubs in the Play-In last night.

I've got nothing against Steph or Klay, but Dramond Green is a dirty POS and anytime he misses the postseason, I'm going to be happy about it.

It's just too bad the Pels couldn't have done the same to the Lakers.

Lifetime ban for raptor player

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nba/raptors-backup-centre-jontay-porter-gets-lifetime-ban-from-nba/ar-BB1lNqK5?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=30595362b2dd44368a029e4b639cf4f1&ei=13

"

TORONTO — The NBA has banned Jontay Porter for life games after completing an investigation into gambling allegations against the former Toronto Raptors' two-way player.

A league investigation found that Porter violated league rules by disclosing confidential information to sports bettors, limiting his own participation in one or more games for betting purposes, and betting on NBA games. 

All three are prohibited under the NBA's collective bargaining agreement.

Porter averaged 4.4 points, 3.2 rebounds, 2.3 assists, in 13.8 minutes over 26 games with Toronto this season.

He also played for the G-League's Raptors 905, but was seeing more play time with Toronto in March after starting centre Jakob Poeltl sustained a season-ending hand injury.

The NBA's investigation found that before the Raptors’ game against the Sacramento Kings on March 20, Porter disclosed confidential information about his own health status to an individual he knew to be a bettor. 

Another person that Porter associated with and knew to be an NBA bettor subsequently placed an US$80,000 parlay proposition bet with an online sports book, to win $1.1 million, wagering that Porter would underperform in the 123-89 loss to Sacramento.

--------------------------------

mal

• chaos 1

On 4/17/2024 at 10:33 AM, Gurn said:

Lifetime ban for raptor player

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nba/raptors-backup-centre-jontay-porter-gets-lifetime-ban-from-nba/ar-BB1lNqK5?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=30595362b2dd44368a029e4b639cf4f1&ei=13

"

TORONTO — The NBA has banned Jontay Porter for life games after completing an investigation into gambling allegations against the former Toronto Raptors' two-way player.

A league investigation found that Porter violated league rules by disclosing confidential information to sports bettors, limiting his own participation in one or more games for betting purposes, and betting on NBA games. 

All three are prohibited under the NBA's collective bargaining agreement.

Porter averaged 4.4 points, 3.2 rebounds, 2.3 assists, in 13.8 minutes over 26 games with Toronto this season.

He also played for the G-League's Raptors 905, but was seeing more play time with Toronto in March after starting centre Jakob Poeltl sustained a season-ending hand injury.

The NBA's investigation found that before the Raptors’ game against the Sacramento Kings on March 20, Porter disclosed confidential information about his own health status to an individual he knew to be a bettor. 

Another person that Porter associated with and knew to be an NBA bettor subsequently placed an US$80,000 parlay proposition bet with an online sports book, to win $1.1 million, wagering that Porter would underperform in the 123-89 loss to Sacramento.

--------------------------------

mal

Way to throw it all away…this guy is very dumb..

• Cheers 1

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39976733/coban-porter-brother-nuggets-star-sentenced-fatal-crash

Coban Porter, the younger brother of Denver Nuggets star Michael Porter Jr., has been sentenced to six years in prison for a drunken driving crash that killed a woman in Colorado last year.

Porter was sentenced Friday for the January 2023 crash in Denver that killed Kathy Limon Rothman and seriously injured her passenger. Porter, who caused the crash after he ran a red light and slammed into the other vehicle, received an additional two-year sentence for the passenger's injuries that he will serve concurrently.

According to The Denver Post, prosecutors on Friday said Porter was speeding and had a blood-alcohol level of .19, more than twice the legal limit of .08.

Porter had pleaded guilty in February to vehicular homicide and vehicular assault as a part of a plea agreement that had reduced his sentence to a maximum of eight years.

"All I can really say is that I'm sorry," Porter told the courtroom Friday, according to the Post. "I know that I'm never going to be able to right that wrong. ... I never thought I'd be standing here. I thought I was invincible. It wasn't the first time I chose to drink and drive. I'm so sorry."

Michael Porter Jr. testified on his brother's behalf during Friday's hearing, saying in part, according to the Post, "I know that if I were in your shoes and it was reversed, I would have a lot of feelings as well." Others also spoke on behalf of the Rothman family.

Coban Porter had been a freshman on the University of Denver men's basketball team prior to the crash, averaging 11.4 points per game during the 2021-22 season.

Porter's sentencing follows Wednesday's announcement that the NBA had banned Jontay Porter, his and Michael Porter Jr.'s brother, after an investigation revealed that the two-way player for the Toronto Raptors had violated "league rules by disclosing confidential information to sports bettors, limiting his own participation in one or more games for betting purposes, and betting on NBA games."

Edited by runningback33

I was a bit shocked (and dismayed) when I read the other day that as the WNBA's first overall draft pick, Caitlin Clark will be earning about $78,000 this coming season....:classic_huh:

So I was glad to see that she has signed an 8 year deal with Nike, that will pay her 3.5 million a year:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/22/business/caitlin-clark-nike-sneakers/index.html

According to the article, Clark has other endorsement deals that will add about $3 million more per year.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 10:41 PM, flickyoursedin said:

Siakam versus Anunoby round 2 is fun!

Watched the end of game 1 and it showed the difference between basketball and hockey when it comes to officiating in the playoffs:

Pacers have the ball with about 15 second left and trailing by a point. Andrew Nembhard sets a high screen on Donte Divincenzo and the Knicks forward goes down like he was hit by a Semi....

...and the ref calls Nembhard for offensive foul....:classic_wacko:

Now to be fair, the play was challenged and upheld, as it appeared that Nembhard was moving ever so slightly as he set the pick...... But to make that call, that late in the game, virtually handing the Knicks the W......:classic_unsure:

Edited by RupertKBD

SGA finishes 2nd in MVP voting, as Joker wins his 3rd.....and Shaq for one, is not happy about it:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/article/shaquille-oneal-livid-believes-canadas-shai-gilgeous-alexander-was-snubbed-for-mvp/

Interesting that Shaq also brings up being "robbed" himself.....as the "burglar" in question was Steve Nash....

• 2 weeks later...

Man the Raptors cast away series is a real shame for the Knicks who got nothing from OG who was suffering with a hamstring injury. Knicks may have had a chance this year if they didn’t make the trade. RJ and Quickly may have been the depth they needed. On the flip side Indiana must be happy with Pascal Siakam.