If Panera Bread Kills You, Is That On You Or Panera Bread

Sabrefan1

I say it's on you...

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/05/us/panera-charged-lemonade-death.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Panera Bread’s Charged Lemonade Linked to Second Death in Lawsuit

A man in Florida died after drinking three servings of the highly caffeinated drink at a Panera location in Florida, his family said in a wrongful-death lawsuit.

A Florida man died after drinking three servings of a heavily caffeinated beverage from Panera Bread, according to a lawsuit filed against the company on Monday. It is the second lawsuit linking the beverage, Charged Lemonade, to a death.

Dennis Brown, 46, died in October after suffering a “cardiac event” while walking home from a Panera Bread in Fleming Island, Fla., according to the wrongful-death lawsuit, which was filed by Mr. Brown’s mother, sister and brother in Superior Court in Delaware.

It is the second lawsuit filed against Panera Bread over its Charged Lemonade, which has more caffeine in its large size than a 12-ounce Red Bull and a 16-ounce Monster Energy Drink combined.

The lawsuit said the company “knew or should have known” that the drink could injure children, pregnant and breastfeeding women, and people sensitive to caffeine.

After the initial lawsuit, Panera told NBC News that it had “enhanced our existing caffeine disclosure” on its website and app, and in its restaurants.

In a statement on Tuesday, Panera said it “stands firmly by the safety of our products.”

“Panera expresses our deep sympathy for Mr. Brown’s family,” the statement said. “Based on our investigation we believe his unfortunate passing was not caused by one of the company’s products. We view this lawsuit, which was filed by the same law firm as a previous claim, to be equally without merit.”

In October, the parents of a college student with a heart condition who died in September 2022 after drinking a Charged Lemonade filed a lawsuit against Panera. The lawsuit said that the student, Sarah Katz, 21, drank the beverage likely thinking it had a safe amount of caffeine.

A regular Charged Lemonade has 260 milligrams of caffeine and the large size has 390 milligrams, according to Panera’s website.

According to the Food and Drug Administration, most “healthy adults” can safely consume up to 400 milligrams of caffeine per day, or about four or five cups of regular coffee, depending on the brand and roast.

Energy drinks typically contain high levels of caffeine, added sugars and stimulants that pose significant risks to people with heart conditions, who dietitians say should avoid these beverages. High amounts of caffeine can also strain the cardiac system of people who do not have a heart condition.

The lawsuit filed in Delaware said that Mr. Brown had high blood pressure, a developmental delay, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and a chromosomal disorder that caused a mild intellectual disability and blurry vision.

Mr. Brown advocated for community safety and inclusion for people with disabilities as a member of the Clay County Change Makers Self-Advocacy Group, the complaint said.

He lived independently and worked for nearly 17 years at a Publix supermarket, where he would pack grocery bags and walk customers to their cars.

After his shifts at Publix, he would go to Panera up to three times a week, the lawsuit said.

On Oct. 9, he ordered the Charged Lemonade and had two refills before walking home, the complaint said. During the walk, he suffered a cardiac event and was found unresponsive on a sidewalk, where he was pronounced dead.

The complaint said that at the Panera, the Charged Lemonade “was offered side-by-side” with drinks with no caffeine or less caffeine, and that it was not advertised as an energy drink and did not have any warnings. The lawsuit does not say whether Mr. Brown ordered a regular or large size.

Mr. Brown died from “cardiac arrest due to hypertensive disease,” according to a death certificate provided by Elizabeth Crawford, a lawyer at the law firm Kline & Specter, which is representing Mr. Brown’s and Ms. Katz’s families.

“Dennis is part of a vulnerable population that should be protected,” Ms. Crawford said in an emailed statement. “And Panera failed to protect Dennis. Dennis’ family, just like the Katz family, hopes this message gets out to prevent this from happening again to anyone else.”

The high caffeine levels in Charged Lemonade attracted widespread attention and media coverage after a video was posted in December 2022 on TikTok by a user who was shocked by the drink’s unexpected caffeine content.

Edited by Sabrefan1
Missed part of the article while copying

I think if you’re taking more than 300 mg of caffeine in a single beverage and still are having a high caffeine content after that in the same day then some fault should lie with you but I reckon people may be unaware of the risks which leads to these sort of results. 

At same time there shouldn’t be variety of single beverages over 300+ mg of caffeine. That’s bonkers. 

When I have pre workout i usually go for the 150 mg a serving and have a scoop, maybe a scoop and a half, and that’s my caffeine for the day. Maybe a small beverage after that but I am usually good. 

Some pre workout has like 300+ which is nuts IMO. 

I am a bigger guy and could probably handle 500 mg a day max but I try to stay under 300 mg. I also try not to have caffeine every day of the week so it prevents any snowball. 

The half-life of caffeine is about 5-6 hours roughly(varies based on health so could be more for certain individuals). So if you took 400 mg of caffeine in the morning you’d still have 100 mg in your system 10-12 hours later which.  50 mg or so by the time your sleeping which is like having a bottle of Coca-Cola before bed. 

If people aren’t careful it can really snowball and you can have more caffeine in your system than you realize if you had been consuming high quantities in consecutive days. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think if you’re taking more than 300 mg of caffeine in a single beverage and still are having a high caffeine content after that in the same day then some fault should lie with you but I reckon people may be unaware of the risks which leads to these sort of results. 

At same time there shouldn’t be variety of single beverages over 300+ mg of caffeine. That’s bonkers. 

When I have pre workout i usually go for the 150 mg a serving and have a scoop, maybe a scoop and a half, and that’s my caffeine for the day. Maybe a small beverage after that but I am usually good. 

Some pre workout has like 300+ which is nuts IMO. 

I am a bigger guy and could probably handle 500 mg a day max but I try to stay under 300 mg. I also try not to have caffeine every day of the week so it prevents any snowball. 

The half-life of caffeine is about 5-6 hours roughly(varies based on health so could be more for certain individuals). So if you took 400 mg of caffeine in the morning you’d still have 100 mg in your system 10-12 hours later which.  50 mg or so by the time your sleeping which is like having a bottle of Coca-Cola before bed. 

If people aren’t careful it can really snowball and you can have more caffeine in your system than you realize if you had been consuming high quantities in consecutive days. 

If he indeed had a known heart condition, I have no doubt that his doctor told him to try and stay away from large amounts of caffeine.

If it kills a normal person that doesn't have a heart condition, the only way that Panera Bread should be held liable is if they don't make the caffeine content clear which I assume that they do by virtue of offering the same drink both with less caffeine and also without.

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

If he indeed had a known heart condition, I have no doubt that his doctor told him to try and stay away from large amounts of caffeine.

If it kills a normal person that doesn't have a heart condition, the only way that Panera Bread should be held liable is if they don't make the caffeine content clear which I assume that they do by virtue of offering the same drink both with less caffeine and also without.

I was saying in a more general sense I don’t think caffeine drinks should be as high as the one he drank. It was almost a daily max for a regular person. 

People suffering with hypertension should only really have half that amount. 

Should be a bit more of a cap IMO. Considering people do consume caffeine in more than instance in a day. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I was saying in a more general sense I don’t think caffeine drinks should be as high as the one he drank. It was almost a daily max for a regular person. 

People suffering with hypertension should only really have half that amount. 

Should be a bit more of a cap IMO. Considering people do consume caffeine in more than instance in a day.

Ah ok, I see. 

I drink only about 24 ounces of coffee in one sitting in the morning a few times a week because even though I have no known problems with my heart, I know that I have a low tolerance for caffeine.

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Florida.

I have to be honest.  I thought the same thing. 

It also made me wonder where the other person who passed away was from.

*edit*  I just followed a story link from the article and the other person was attending a pretty good university (University of Pennsylvania).  She had a chronic heart condition that affected the electrical impulses in her heart.

Edited by Sabrefan1

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Ah ok, I see. 

I drink only about 24 ounces of coffee in one sitting in the morning a few times a week because even though I have no known problems with my heart, I know that I have a low tolerance for caffeine.

8 ounces of coffee equates to about 85-95mg depending the brand and make. 

That’s like 250-300mg a day on those days. That’s a healthy amount for a regular person. 

And if that’s not all week then there’s no risk of it snowballing. 

Imagine peeps consuming throughout the day all week. Could potentially add up without them knowing. Capable of causing all sorts of problems they might not be able to pin or mistake it. 

Chemistry and Biology are important things and people need to understand some of the basics of what things do to your bodies, especially with interactions between different substances, and how long things stay in your system. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I have to be honest.  I thought the same thing. 

It also made me wonder where the other person who passed away was from.

*edit*  I just followed a story link from the article and the other person was attending a pretty good university (University of Pennsylvania).  She had a chronic heart condition that affected the electrical impulses in her heart.

I guess I just wonder where personal responsibility went. If the drink wasn't labeled then sure there's a problem.

But if you choose to have several?

It's like suing jack Daniels for your alcohol poisoning.

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I guess I just wonder where personal responsibility went. If the drink wasn't labeled then sure there's a problem.

If I'm remembering right, the drinks weren't properly labelled in the case where the young university lady died. She had a cardiac condition and was reportedly very careful with what she would consume.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, 112 said:

If I'm remembering right, the drinks weren't properly labelled in the case where the young university lady died. She had a cardiac condition and was reportedly very careful with what she would consume.

Then that's different. If she wasn't given a correct label then that's a problem.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I agree for sure.  I was going darker with my train of thought.  In my initial post I was thinking about comparing it to the relatives suing an alcohol maker because an alcoholic died from cirrhosis of the liver after liberally drinking his favourite vodka daily for 25 years.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 112 said:

I didn't read her whole story.  Just the one I posted about. 

That girls parents are gonna win that lawsuit against Panera.  Mislabeling what essentially is a legal drug is insanely bad.

I bought some drinks from costco that said they were 'antioxidant infused' and marketed like a health drink. Nowhere on the front of the packaging did it say it had caffeine, just in very small print on the back. It was the hottest summer on record, i drank two in one day a couple times. I did get a lot done though. lol

Still, we live in time where weasels flourish. They tell you we're the reason for climate change with all our plastic use, so they charge us a tax nobody else in Quebec or the rest of the world pays and we can't have a plastic bag or a straw. All while allowing capitalist pig companies, they or their friends own, to put extra packaging to make it look like it's a full box of cookies when there are 8 in it. Climate change is a scam and anyone that falls for it is on par with Greta Thunberg.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

I bought some drinks from costco that said they were 'antioxidant infused' and marketed like a health drink. Nowhere on the front of the packaging did it say it had caffeine, just in very small print on the back. It was the hottest summer on record, i drank two in one day a couple times. I did get a lot done though. lol

Still, we live in time where weasels flourish. They tell you we're the reason for climate change with all our plastic use, so they charge us a tax nobody else in Quebec or the rest of the world pays and we can't have a plastic bag or a straw. All while allowing capitalist pig companies, they or their friends own, to put extra packaging to make it look like it's a full box of cookies when there are 8 in it. Climate change is a scam and anyone that falls for it is on par with Greta Thunberg.

I'm impressed you could get from caffeine labels to Greta.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

Yeah, I'm getting really tired of people whining about climate change when we really should be focusing on cookies.  Some people just don't have their priorities right.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

Yeah, I'm getting really tired of people whining about climate change when we really should be focusing on cookies.  Some people just don't have their priorities right.

So banning Plastic grocery bags and straws while doubling the amount of plastic packaging to dishonestly make it look like more, in the name of marketing, makes sense to you?

Just now, Rob Eh said:

So banning Plastic grocery bags and straws while doubling the amount of plastic packaging to dishonestly make it look like more, in the name of marketing, makes sense to you?

Shrinkflation sucks. So do plastic straws.   I just fail to see any real connection between the two.   I can see that both shrinkflation and the banning of plastic straws are happening right now but so are a lot of things and not all of them are connected.