Will the Hughes Brothers become the highest scoring brothers in NHL history?

Hughes Hockey  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Will the three Hughes Brothers beat the Sutters for the most points by brothers in NHL history?

• Yes
    • No

Just a fun discussion I've been hearing lately.

Currently, the highest scoring brothers in the NHL are the Sutters at 2,934 career NHL points. Could the Hughes brothers beat this total?

Currently, the Hughes brothers have 534 points in 596 games, exactly 2,400 points short of the Sutters.

If I have to say yes or no, I'd say yes. I think Jack can get 1200-1500 in his career and Quinn could get 900-1000. This would mean Luke would have to get 434-834 points, which I think is feasible.

12 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

your total is for 2 generations of Sutters. Highest scoring brothers are the Gretzkys. 

Wayne Gretzky 2857 pts 
Brent Gretzky 4pts

image.png.0cedcf89b9bd19ceec6fac0a2052349a.png

All the same generation. This doesn't count the younger generation. The highest scoring brothers duo are the Gretkzys, but not as a full family of brothers.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

30 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Just a fun discussion I've been hearing lately.

Currently, the highest scoring brothers in the NHL are the Sutters at 2,934 career NHL points. Could the Hughes brothers beat this total?

Currently, the Hughes brothers have 534 points in 596 games, exactly 2,400 points short of the Sutters.

If I have to say yes or no, I'd say yes. I think Jack can get 1200-1500 in his career and Quinn could get 900-1000. This would mean Luke would have to get 434-834 points, which I think is feasible.

I dunno if Jack will get THAT many career points.  Crosby just passed 1500 points, and that's Sid the Kid who started his career where 4 of his first 5 seasons were 100+ point seasons.  Jack still hasn't broken 100 points once in his career.

I could see Quinn at 800 to 900 points.  That means averaging 75pts a season for 12 years.  Although with his skating, he might play 16 to 17 years.

Luke is the one where I think could put up some solid career numbers too.  50 to 60pts a season for 12 years is 600 to 720 points.

Honestly, for all 3 of them, their skating ability makes them exceptional players.  Which likely means they could all end up playing 15 to 17 years.  In which case, I could see:

1300 points for Jack

900 points for Quinn

700 points for Luke

2900 in total.  So pretty darn close!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I dunno if Jack will get THAT many career points.  Crosby just passed 1500 points, and that's Sid the Kid who started his career where 4 of his first 5 seasons were 100+ point seasons.  Jack still hasn't broken 100 points once in his career.

I could see Quinn at 800 to 900 points.  That means averaging 75pts a season for 12 years.  Although with his skating, he might play 16 to 17 years.

Luke is the one where I think could put up some solid career numbers too.  50 to 60pts a season for 12 years is 600 to 720 points.

Honestly, for all 3 of them, their skating ability makes them exceptional players.  Which likely means they could all end up playing 15 to 17 years.  In which case, I could see:

1300 points for Jack

900 points for Quinn

700 points for Luke

2900 in total.  So pretty darn close!

Yeah, 1500 is on the high end. That said, Crosby just passed the number, but is playing well still and could easily surpass 1700 and maybe even 1800 points eventually, so his end total should be much higher than 1500 in the end. A safer bet for Jack is probably 1300-1400--I think he'll be a perrennial 105+ point guy for about the next 10 years, barring injury.

29 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

image.png.0cedcf89b9bd19ceec6fac0a2052349a.png

All the same generation. This doesn't count the younger generation. The highest scoring brothers duo are the Gretkzys, but not as a full family of brothers.

True. Though when you count playoff points the Gretzky’s take it by a mile. Wayne had double the playoff points of all the Sutter brothers. 

• Like 1

I voted no, based on how difficult it is to maintain such a high level of play for an entire career.  Whether it be because of injury or whatever, the odds are against them.

It would be cool to see them succeed though.  I know I am getting ahead of myself here, but how amazing would it be to see them face each other in the SCF?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

True. Though when you count playoff points the Gretzky’s take it by a mile. Wayne had double the playoff points of all the Sutter brothers. 

Yes, true. Most of the time, playoff points aren't considered in all-time stats unless you're looking specifically at playoff points though.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Goalie29 said:

I voted no, based on how difficult it is to maintain such a high level of play for an entire career.  Whether it be because of injury or whatever, the odds are against them.

It would be cool to see them succeed though.  I know I am getting ahead of myself here, but how amazing would it be to see them face each other in the SCF?

Yeah, longevity with injuries is really the catch. Feels likely that at least one of them will have injury problems or consistency issues.

Just now, -AJ- said:

Yes, true. Most of the time, playoff points aren't considered in all-time stats unless you're looking specifically at playoff points though.

I've never understood that.

Imagine if your only career NHL goal was in the playoffs.

They definitely have a good chance to be close with how good they all look while so young, but I still voted no because I'm not sure they will all have the necessary longevity.

I'm curious if Quinn can win a Norris and Jack an Art Ross and also if multiple can win Hart trophies. The Hughes' certainly have the potential to be mentioned with the Richard's and Esposito's as the best brothers to play the game. You also have to wonder how many points the Stastny's would have put up if they came over to North America earlier.

7 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

It is a bit of a weird standard, yeah. It would definitely be sensible to include those games, but it's never been the convention. The only reason I can think of is that the playoffs feel a lot more about team success than individual success, but I don't think that's enough of a reason to exclude those individual stats from career stats.

10 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, longevity with injuries is really the catch. Feels likely that at least one of them will have injury problems or consistency issues.

Jack is the closest thing I have seen to Bure in a long time.

So many things he does.
That reckless speed, drop the shoulder and dare the D to try to stop you cutting to the net. 

Fantastically entertaining player. 
Doesn’t bode well for longevity. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Jack is the closest thing I have seen to Bure in a long time.

So many things he does.
That reckless speed, drop the shoulder and dare the D to try to stop you cutting to the net. 

Fantastically entertaining player. 
Doesn’t bode well for longevity. 

Jack is definitely the one I'm worried about most regarding injuries as well. He's already had at least 2 shoulder injuries and 1 knee injury.

1 minute ago, Diamonds said:

Jack is definitely the one I'm worried about most regarding injuries as well. He's already had at least 2 shoulder injuries and 1 knee injury.

Maybe a little too much like Bure.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Diamonds said:

They definitely have a good chance to be close with how good they all look while so young, but I still voted no because I'm not sure they will all have the necessary longevity.

I'm curious if Quinn can win a Norris and Jack an Art Ross and also if multiple can win Hart trophies. The Hughes' certainly have the potential to be mentioned with the Richard's and Esposito's as the best brothers to play the game. You also have to wonder how many points the Stastny's would have put up if they came over to North America earlier.

The Stastnys would have been unreal.  At least 1600 points for Peter I think.  Anton had a fair shot at an NHL career...maybe would have started a year earlier.  Like many very good players back then it seemed he was just done by 29 or so (happened to many of our greats...Smyl, Tanti etc.).  Marian...didn't even start in the NHL until he was 29.  I think he'd have had 1000 points or close to it.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It is a bit of a weird standard, yeah. It would definitely be sensible to include those games, but it's never been the convention. The only reason I can think of is that the playoffs feel a lot more about team success than individual success, but I don't think that's enough of a reason to exclude those individual stats from career stats.

It also standardizes around the league for fairness in games played and opportunities to acquire points etc.  But the stats in this regard have been bungled so extremely over the years with seasons varying by dozens of games, never mind what has been done to goalie stats with wins and so on...that it's all such a mess you might as well roll regular season and playoff stats together and add in both for the WHA as well.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Probably.  Injuries robbed Darryl Sutter of a very good career.  He was a 40 goal rookie and also a playoff beast.  Brent and Brian were terrific players...carried a lot of the water for the family in terms of stats.

13 hours ago, Goalie29 said:

It's fair.  Everyone has the same chance to score in the regular season.  There are too many variables that come into play.  Olli Jokinen famously scored 750 points in his career, but only 5 more in the playoffs.  That's not fair to his legacy.  Tanner Glass has more points than him. 

On top of that, I think you and I both know that playoff production is a different measure than regular season production.  Imagine if we valued them equally.

On 12/7/2023 at 5:23 AM, Miss Korea said:

It's fair.  Everyone has the same chance to score in the regular season.  There are too many variables that come into play.  Olli Jokinen famously scored 750 points in his career, but only 5 more in the playoffs.  That's not fair to his legacy.  Tanner Glass has more points than him. 

On top of that, I think you and I both know that playoff production is a different measure than regular season production.  Imagine if we valued them equally.

I always wonder why AV seems to love Tanner Glass and always be playing him. It seems like every coach has this one plug that they like above all and give them more ice time than any other coaches would.