Jim Rutherford on the Canucks season, Elias Pettersson's contract, his future and more

Nice interview. Sounds like a man with a plan and who knows what to do. Fairly reserved when talking about Myers, Kuzmenko and Hoglander but turned into fan-mode when talking about and praising Hughes. Doesn't sound like Podkolzin will be with the big club any time soon. Also the part about contemplating a rebuild and why he quickly decided against it was interesting.

• Cheers 1

Wow!  I want some of the new meds JR's on; big improvement from his first interviews here.

Seriously though, great interview, very informative, relaxed a bit more on radio perhaps, than under the TV lights.

No questions or comments about a practice facility, and Dhali could be more polite and less interrogative but otherwise good.

I would have asked him about bringing in larger, more physical players, just to encourage him to bring in more of the same.

"What'd ya think about that big hit by Zadorov last night Jim?" 

Just to see that face crack into a grin.

• Cheers 1

Whenever I hear Jim speak I get filled with confidence that the organization knows what they are doing and where they are going. 

You could tell there was some real disappointment from the Canucks side with the Bear development. Not so much so losing a specific player, but for having put in the work and not see it materialize. 

Dhali comes off as really harsh and short. Lately it feels like it's most of the time and I'm finding it harder to watch it unfold. Like a really sour grumpy old man. Hope he is doing well outside of work. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jim strikes me as a really confident and self-assured guy who is not letting outside noise influence his decisions. He's the one that assembled these new management and coaching groups and in my opinion, both groups may be the best in the NHL right now, or certainly right up there. The Canucks have done a pretty incredible job in a flat-cap year of dramatically revamping their roster for the better, and Tocchet has to be in the running for coach of the year.

Jim must be pretty pleased with how things are going so far, but you can tell he's eager to get the Canucks a championship to really cement his legacy as one of the greatest hockey executives of all time. He'd be King of Vancouver, that's for sure.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Whenever I hear Jim speak I get filled with confidence that the organization knows what they are doing and where they are going. 

You could tell there was some real disappointment from the Canucks side with the Bear development. Not so much so losing a specific player, but for having put in the work and not see it materialize. 

Dhali comes off as really harsh and short. Lately it feels like it's most of the time and I'm finding it harder to watch it unfold. Like a really sour grumpy old man. Hope he is doing well outside of work. 

Dhali is just putting on a show.  He's got inside contacts with many agents and JR as well.  His style isn't fir everyone but I would listen carefully of what he's hearing.  He's often correct. 

Best thing about all this is JR has autonomy and not being managed by AQ regarding how the hockey side of things. 

AQ needs to open his wallet and get them a real practice facility.  He's gonna make some money during the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Dhali is just putting on a show.  He's got inside contacts with many agents and JR as well.  His style isn't fir everyone but I would listen carefully of what he's hearing.  He's often correct. 

Best thing about all this is JR has autonomy and not being managed by AQ regarding how the hockey side of things. 

AQ needs to open his wallet and get them a real practice facility.  He's gonna make some money during the playoffs. 

IMHAO JR has ( and to my surprise) got autonomy from Aquilini. I thought there was no chance that would happen. But the evidence ndicates otherwise. The owner is held at bay by JR. 

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Agreed. That's why I keep tuning in. I'm not sure everything he says has legs but among Canuck media people he's definitely the go to guy.

I don't enjoy his showmanship I guess. He puts on a bad show because it's not funny or entertaining but rather awkward, rude and weird. Doesn't make the conversations flow but rather is a constant breaker of conversation. He swallows everyone around him. 

Definitely not a Drance fan or defender, but Dhaliwal makes that Canucks Talk show unbearable with his awkward and really confrontational jabs directed at Drance all the time. There's no sarcasm there, just straight up confrontations that the rest of the show needs to somehow awkwardly handle and work around. It could be a really entertaining show for us viewers but since Dhali makes it so abundantly clear that he doesn't want to be there, it absolutely sucks and is unwatchable. Usually having Drance involved makes it unwatchable enough.

Wheres the Harman Dayal and Frankie Corrado show? 

1 hour ago, DeltaSwede said:

Definitely disappointed about Bear. 

They took a chance on him and paid for him when he wasn't getting playing time in Carolina (?), leads the team on, and then leverages it... That's obviously his right but makes me not like him as a Canucks fan

That's sports and I'd love to him to get booed next time Caps are in town 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

IMHAO JR has ( and to my surprise) got autonomy from Aquilini. I thought there was no chance that would happen. But the evidence ndicates otherwise. The owner is held at bay by JR. 

Remember AQ flew to his home in PA to beg him to work for him?

JR got the leverage.  He wasn't looking for work. A HHOF, basically retired.  I'm sure he wouldn't have taken the job without that autonomy.  And if AQ breaks that agreement, then JR will not re-sign the next contract.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

[Canucks Central] Jim Rutherford on Elias Pettersson and the Team’s Next Steps #canucksCentral 

https://podcastaddict.com/canucks-central/episode/168339084 

All the Pettersson stuff worries me

I know everyone is saying 'there's no rush.' But the team clearly wants to get him signed, values him, and it's Petey that's still not wanting to talk..

It's either about more money and he's still betting on himself for more or it's because he doesn't want to be here and is slow playing it to get out

However you slice it if he's not signed by the start of camp next year the volume is going to ratchet WAY up and become a major distraction for the team

Just sign for Pete's sake 

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, van_can_fan said:

I know everyone is saying 'there's no rush.' But the team clearly wants to get him signed, values him, and it's Petey that's still not wanting to talk..

It's either about more money and he's still betting on himself for more or it's because he doesn't want to be here and is slow playing it to get out

However you slice it if he's not signed by the start of camp next year the volume is going to ratchet WAY up and become a major distraction for the team

His opinion might change for the better after a deep playoff run in May. 

He's still restricted, ain't going anywhere yet. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, van_can_fan said:

To ease your mind, according to JR, they are in positive talks with Peteys agent. Petey wants to focus on hockey, the team wants Petey to focus on hockey, there is no rush. You're making things up that you're now worried about. They are talking, but there is no rush, lot's of things to figure out. He's an RFA. Teams got control and 100 other reasons I could list. 

There isn't much else to read into it other than a portion of Canucks fans having some serious PTSD and a sky is falling attitude towards everything and anything. A tendency to always figure that the worst possible outcome will happen, not the most logical, but the most dramatic and theatrical horrible thing will happen if there is a slight chance of that happening. 

Kid loves it in the Vancouver. It's the biggest contract he will ever sign. The process of which, to this point, is super normal. 

What other team is a better spot for Petey and his 11-13 mil cap hit? A non-contender with cap space? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, joe-max said:

Nice interview. Sounds like a man with a plan and who knows what to do. Fairly reserved when talking about Myers, Kuzmenko and Hoglander but turned into fan-mode when talking about and praising Hughes. Doesn't sound like Podkolzin will be with the big club any time soon. Also the part about contemplating a rebuild and why he quickly decided against it was interesting.

Didn't listen to it, but Podz down in Abby for the year makes alot of sense. Let him develop his game like Hoglander has. No need to rush him. Next year he'll have to clear waivers so that's when he'll be with the big club. What they need to do is prepare him for that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

To ease your mind, according to JR, they are in positive talks with Peteys agent. Petey wants to focus on hockey, the team wants Petey to focus on hockey, there is no rush. You're making things up that you're now worried about. They are talking, but there is no rush, lot's of things to figure out. He's an RFA. Teams got control and 100 other reasons I could list. 

There isn't much else to read into it other than a portion of Canucks fans having some serious PTSD and a sky is falling attitude towards everything and anything. A tendency to always figure that the worst possible outcome will happen, not the most logical, but the most dramatic and theatrical horrible thing will happen if there is a slight chance of that happening. 

Kid loves it in the Vancouver. It's the biggest contract he will ever sign. The process of which, to this point, is super normal. 

What other team is a better spot for Petey and his 11-13 mil cap hit? A non-contender with cap space? 

And the team is starting to win and show it can become something. What Allvin and Rutherford have accomplished with the handcuffs they were left by Benning is nothing short of incredible. When they clear more cap (Myers, and a few others), they will have even more flexibility to improve. Petey sees this, he will be paid here, we can pay him as well as any other team, and the big issue was his chance to win. Mgmt has shown they want to win, and they will keep improving the team. Other than "hating" Vancouver, which is not the case, I don't see why he'd want to leave.

Edited by billydakid
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Agreed. That's why I keep tuning in. I'm not sure everything he says has legs but among Canuck media people he's definitely the go to guy.

I don't enjoy his showmanship I guess. He puts on a bad show because it's not funny or entertaining but rather awkward, rude and weird. Doesn't make the conversations flow but rather is a constant breaker of conversation. He swallows everyone around him. 

Definitely not a Drance fan or defender, but Dhaliwal makes that Canucks Talk show unbearable with his awkward and really confrontational jabs directed at Drance all the time. There's no sarcasm there, just straight up confrontations that the rest of the show needs to somehow awkwardly handle and work around. It could be a really entertaining show for us viewers but since Dhali makes it so abundantly clear that he doesn't want to be there, it absolutely sucks and is unwatchable. Usually having Drance involved makes it unwatchable enough.

Wheres the Harman Dayal and Frankie Corrado show? 

I think you're misreading Rick, as well as his relationship with Drance. Rick is hilarious and loveable, and the jabs everyone gives him, including Drance, stem from them all being such good friends. He and Drance talk and text with each other every single day, and I bet if you asked them both they'd both say they're really good friends who rip on each other, because they're friends. Rick helps make the D&D show. The arguing they do is laugh-out-loudable, and the chemistry they all have with each other is top-notch. 

12 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I think you're misreading Rick, as well as his relationship with Drance. Rick is hilarious and loveable, and the jabs everyone gives him, including Drance, stem from them all being such good friends. He and Drance talk and text with each other every single day, and I bet if you asked them both they'd both say they're really good friends who rip on each other, because they're friends. Rick helps make the D&D show. The arguing they do is laugh-out-loudable, and the chemistry they all have with each other is top-notch. 

I'm sure that's the case but it really doesnt come across on camera in any valuable or entertaining way. 

I have friends and we take jabs at each other that are much darker and harsh. We are at least funny. We don't have the comedic skill of a wet sock when interacting with each other. 

There are so few times Rick leans into a joke, just for the sake of the show, that he might not find funny but instead just kills the flow of the conversation. Then it just ends up with him trying to take these low hanging fruit jabs back. Oh hey you said a word a little funny, let me scream that word over the mic 4 more times during the interview! hur dur! Oh what an ugly sweater you are wearing! 

I'm willing to say they make up the worst duo I have ever seen. Not even kidding. No on screen chemistry at all. It's crazy to think they are buds or maybe that's more of a LinkedIn type of friendship where you just deal with the other for outside benefits. 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Yes, I have all that Canuck baggage...

and will try to absorb your optimism

• Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I'm sure that's the case but it really doesnt come across on camera in any valuable or entertaining way. 

I have friends and we take jabs at each other that are much darker and harsh. We are at least funny. We don't have the comedic skill of a wet sock when interacting with each other. 

There are so few times Rick leans into a joke, just for the sake of the show, that he might not find funny but instead just kills the flow of the conversation. Then it just ends up with him trying to take these low hanging fruit jabs back. Oh hey you said a word a little funny, let me scream that word over the mic 4 more times during the interview! hur dur! Oh what an ugly sweater you are wearing! 

I'm willing to say they make up the worst duo I have ever seen. Not even kidding. No on screen chemistry at all. It's crazy to think they are buds or maybe that's more of a LinkedIn type of friendship where you just deal with the other for outside benefits. 

Guardians Of The Galaxy Head GIF

• Haha 1