Kirill Kudryavtsev | D

• PickleCanuck changed the title to Kirill Kudryavtsev | D

Absolutely thought this guy was smooth with his passes and angles today was watching for him the most, only caught today's game in Penticton but he looked great,  quietly effective and sound, nothing fancy but his plays/passes were crisp. And his last two seasons have shown he has offensive upside in buckets! Glad he can play smart hockey too, only game I've watched so far but I'm gonna keep an eye on this kid! 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I still don't know how he made it all the way to the 7th round. He was already in North America so a lot of the usual Russian flight concerns didn't apply and he isn't big but isn't undersized either. He also put up 39 points in 68 games in his draft year in the OHL. 

Regardless, I'm happy he fell and really excited he's our prospect. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2023 at 8:35 AM, WillisD said:

Nice start to the season for Kirill. Like everyone else...."how was this guy still there in the 7th?"

I was following him during his draft year, his actual scouting rank was late 2nd. Central scouting had him in the mid to late 2nd round. But due to Russia's activity in Ukraine, and the usual fear around whether Russian's will leave to go back home, he fell into final rankings in the 3rd and 4th round.

I personally had him marked as a third round pick.

People saw the talent, but the stereotype and fear around drafting Russians impacted his draft standing. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I was following him during his draft year, his actual scouting rank was late 2nd. Central scouting had him in the mid to late 2nd round. But due to Russia's activity in Ukraine, and the usual fear around whether Russian's will leave to go back home, he fell into final rankings in the 3rd and 4th round.

People saw the talent, but the stereotype and fear around drafting Russians impacted his draft standing. 

Hockey DB now has him at 6' 202...by the time he's in the NHL he will probably grow another inch and gain 10-15lbs

He plays physical, has an edge to his game, and can skate and put up points. If we develop him properly he could become a gem.

Interestingly, The Soo have a 16 year old on their team, and he's lighting it up already  5 pts in 3 games!

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=271129&encode=TRUE

Edited by BlockerHigh

5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Well if it keeps helping out our team, I fully support the stereotyping and fear. 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Kirill Kudryavtsev

This guy is going to be a problem this season for his OHL opposition.

The Brantford Bulldogs can attest to that after Saturday.

Canucks prospect Kirill Kudryavtsev had an assist, a plus-3 rating, three shots on net and scored a big goal for his Soo Greyhouds against the Bulldogs, sparking a 7-5 comeback win and leaving the Brantford coach scratching his head post game.

Kudryavtsev, a left-shot D-man playing the right side on the top pairing, scored the crucial 5-4 goal early in the third period to get his team back into the game.

“When we scored early in the third period that got them on their heels,” said winger Jake Beck.

Bulldogs head coach Jay McKee also spoke to the significance of Kudryavtsev’s goal.

“Their D-man was wide open and that goal gave them life,” he said. “That was a shot we probably needed a save on.”

Kudryavtsev, 19, was named the game’s third star for his effort.

The 6-foot, 201-pound defender kicked off his season on Friday, notching two assists, a plus-2 rating and three more shots on net in an 11-4 win over Flint.

Kudryavtsev has been an offensive force for the Greyhounds for over two seasons now, tallying 89 points (13G, 76A) in 135 games. He can break the puck out of his zone cleanly and his puck skills make it hard to force turnovers from him.

But it’s the improvement in his defensive game that shone through last season and at Canucks development camp this past summer. Kudryavtsev plays with an edge, tracks the play well and has an active stick.

He is originally from Yaroslavl but moved to Ontario when he was 17 ahead of his 2022 draft year, in which the Canucks took him way back in the seventh round.

The Canucks signed the Russian defender to a three-year entry-level contract in March.

mraptis@postmedia.com

twitter.com/mike_raptis

— with files from Ben Kuzma and Patrick Johnston

On 10/22/2023 at 2:00 AM, N4ZZY said:

how does this kid look so far in his season with the Soo's? 

Very good

Hes gonna take time but if he goes the full dev route and through abby I am convinced he will play NHL games. I dont know what his ceiling will truly be but with where he was drafted if he even plays bottom pairing minutes or call up minutes for us hes a massive draft win.

So the extra patience with his development will go a long way.

Right now we have 4 extremely promising d prospects:

EP2-Willander

KK- Hunter Bruahsjlhakjghsakgluawizs

Then not to mention our College FA that both look like they will be players:

Hirose-McWard

Its just exciting as our d pipeline was a barren wasteland.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 4