[Article] Feeling like ‘a whole new person,’ Canucks’ Raty is ready for the spotlight

15 hours ago, RWJC said:

Feeling like ‘a whole new person,’ Canucks’ Raty is ready for the spotlight

Iain MacIntyreSeptember 15, 2023, 9:03 PM

PENTICTON – To view the Vancouver Canucks’ best prospects, you must travel a little farther east than Penticton.

First-round picks from the last two National Hockey League drafts, winger Jonathan Lekkerimaki has started his season in the Swedish Hockey League and defenceman Tom Willander is preparing for a freshman year at Boston University.

Their absence from British Columbia leaves an even brighter spotlight this season on Canuck prospect Aatu Raty, the key acquisition from last season’s trade of Bo Horvat to the New York Islanders.

Projected to eventually become the Canucks’ third-line centre – and this is considered the NHL floor for Raty, not his ceiling — the Finn is accustomed to a blinding glare. 

But the 20-year-old is probably better equipped mentally and emotionally to handle that pressure now than during his 2020-21 draft season, which saw him plummet to the Islanders with the 52nd pick one year after he was touted as a potential first-overall selection.

“Getting traded wasn’t a bad thing,” Raty said Friday before the Canucks opened their Young Stars tournament here against Calgary Flames prospects. “I did good stuff in New York. Still, it wasn’t easy.  I think it’s good to know that I can get through that stuff and just get back stronger every time. But let’s not make this too dramatic. I mean, I’ve been playing pro hockey for four years now, living my dream. So it’s been great.

“It’s good to know that you can get through that stuff. I feel like every year in my career, I’ve had something, whether it be when I was in Finland struggling to get minutes as a pro, then getting traded there, then having a great year but not making the national team, then coming here and getting traded.”

Raty played in Finland’s top-division Liiga as a 16-year-old and in the Under-20 world junior tournament at age 17, before struggling through his draft season in his hometown of Oulu, scoring just three times in 35 games for Karpat.

A trade to Jukurit, where he had 40 points in 41 Liiga games two years ago, seemed to re-ignite Raty, who moved to North America last season and did well enough for New York’s farm team that he was recalled by the Islanders on Dec. 23. Twelve games later, he was packaged to the Canucks.

“We believe that he is a full-time NHL player,” Canucks general manager Patrik Allvin said Friday. “But when will he become a full-time NHL player? That’s something that we’re going to monitor here and let him tell us when he’s ready to go. I definitely don’t want to force him. He showed that he’s capable of playing games in the National Hockey League. The next step is to get him so he doesn’t have to go back down to the minors.”

Including Finland’s world junior team last summer, Raty played 75 games for five different teams last season, which is why stability and continuity are seen as paramount to his development this season. Raty finished last year with the American Hockey League’s Abbotsford Canucks, but also with a back injury that required time and treatment after the season.

“A little adversity,” Abbotsford coach Jeremy Colliton, who is running the Canucks’ prospects team here, said of Raty’s season. “New team, new organization, big expectations. I like how he’s coming in here to this camp. He looks a little leaner, a little quicker.

“I think for any young player, (continuity) gets some runway to build habits and a base of your game so that when you face adversity, you can kind of lean on that. It’s really important. That’ll be a focus for us that starts now.”

Raty said the hardest thing for him about the off-season is resting. During his tumultuous draft season, Karpat coaches staged a kind of intervention because they felt Raty was over-conditioning, tiring himself out before games.

“(Last year) was a tough season physically, mentally,” Raty said. “It was the perfect amount of time in the summer to reload and then be really hungry to get back to the game.

“I’m feeling like a whole new person. I had some injuries at the end of the year and got through them. The body’s feeling a lot better. I’m feeling a lot better mentally.”

Raty said his off-season training focus was getting stronger and more agile on his skates. His skating has long been viewed as the weakest part of what is otherwise a well-rounded, NHL-style game.

“Just getting straight-line speed is something that you’ve just got to get stronger, just be more efficient,” he said. “But I found a lot of things, like turning backwards, turning forwards, doing cutbacks, that doesn’t really show in the straight-line speed. But I found a lot of flaws. I was always thinking straight-line speed and how could I get better at skating forward. But there’s a lot of other skating in the game, too. 

“My overall skating, for sure, is a lot better. Straight-line speed will be there. I’m still young.”

It’s actually hard to believe, as long as Raty has been on hockey’s radar and its professional leagues, that he doesn’t turn 21 until Nov. 14.

He knows there is opportunity for centres in Vancouver this season, behind Elias Pettersson and J.T. Miller, and beyond. Free-agent depth centres Teddy Blueger and Pius Suter signed for just one and two years, respectively.

“Once you’re good enough, you’re going to make the team,” Raty said. “I think over here, you can’t play well and not have somebody notice you. It doesn’t matter where I’ll be playing. Playing my hardest and trying to get better every day — I think that’s just the key. 

“The thing is, it’s not my call. I can have the best rookie tournament, I can have the best training camp, I can play the best hockey I can play and then go to the American Hockey League. But I’ll be playing good hockey and I could be getting a lot of minutes and I’ll be happy. It’s everything to do with me but then nothing to do with me at the same time. If I’m there in Abbotsford, it’s going to be the right choice. The season is so long, wherever I start. . . it could be where I finish or it could be something else. Things happen.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/feeling-like-a-whole-new-person-canucks-raty-ready-for-the-spotlight/sn-amp/

Lot to like there. Looking forward to seeing his growth over the next few years

Good article. 

Really hoping this kid pans out...he's saying all the right things. Looking good so far in the Young Stars tourney.

Great thing is is that he is still so young, no need to rush. Let him develop in the AHL, with maybe sniffs as a call up?

I just hope that the narrative that he is the "Horvat replacement" or some such doesn't start proliferating throughout the media. That's drama that he doesn't need.

"But let’s not make this too dramatic. I mean, I’ve been playing pro hockey for four years now, living my dream. So it’s been great."

Love this quote from Raty. This kid gets the big picture. Shows a lot of maturity for a 20 year old. 

Kid's definitely got a good head on his shoulders. Rooting for him to have an excellent career.

• Vintage 1

I think he still flies under the radar for all of us because he hasn't really made headlines since joining. Good to see that his focus already seems to be in Abbottsford and I think that's the realistic and best spot for him. Seems like the players in the organization all have very clear development plans and that everyones on the same page from players, to coaches and management on that front as well. 

I'm really high on him and I'll be really disappointed if he doesn't take a significant step forward in the AHL this season. He has so much going for him as a hockey player I just hope he figures it all out. 

1 hour ago, WillisD said:

I think Aatu realy shines this year in Abbotsford. Everything is more familiar and, for the first time in years, it looks like all levels of the Canuck organization have clear direction. I believe that stability will help a lot

We also have enough depth that guys don’t need to be force fed into roles they might not be ready for and when they do get an opportunity they should be developed to a point that they can play and stick.

20 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

If he's our everyday 3C by 23 I'll be thrilled. 

I'd honestly take 4C and run. 

With Petey and JT, we have our top two center spots filled for almost a decade. Aman can be our 4th/5th center, and him and Raty can seemlessly replace each other. 

Signing a free agent 3rd line center every year or two is honestly a fairly innocuous undertaking. 

Also, welcome back, hadn't seen you over the summer. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

I'd honestly take 4C and run. 

With Petey and JT, we have our top two center spots filled for almost a decade. Aman can be our 4th/5th center, and him and Raty can seemlessly replace each other. 

Signing a free agent 3rd line center every year or two is honestly a fairly innocuous undertaking. 

Also, welcome back, hadn't seen you over the summer. 

I think he's got a higher ceiling than 4C, but as long as he's a lineup regular its a win. 

I think he's got the attitude and enough offensive ability to be a really good 3C though, I think he'd embrace that and run with it. I can't see him in the top 6 either, at least not regularly. 

But who knows, thats why development is fun to watch. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I think he's got a higher ceiling than 4C, but as long as he's a lineup regular its a win. 

I think he's got the attitude and enough offensive ability to be a really good 3C though, I think he'd embrace that and run with it. I can't see him in the top 6 either, at least not regularly. 

But who knows, thats why development is fun to watch. 

I just don't see him as a shutdown center, hence I don't see him as 3C. Maybe he can develop into a physical 3C that smothers opponents with his size, but that remains to be seen. 

50 minutes ago, Sativika said:

How well does he do on face offs?

As far as I know, he's slightly below average, but maybe someone could correct me. 

5 hours ago, flat land fish said:

We also have enough depth that guys don’t need to be force fed into roles they might not be ready for and when they do get an opportunity they should be developed to a point that they can play and stick.

Great point to add. No doubt that the Canucks, in the past, have been guilty of forcing things. At least in mho. 

• Vintage 1

• RWJC changed the title to [Article] Feeling like ‘a whole new person,’ Canucks’ Raty is ready for the spotlight