[proposal] Elias Lindholm to Vancouver but with a different twist

A week or so ago, an Interdivisional blockbuster deal was suggested on here that would see Kuzmenko, Raty, and a 1st go to Calgary for Elias Lindholm.  

I have a different spin however: (updated proposal)

To Vancouver:  Elias Lindholm

To Calgary: Tyler Myers, Vasili Podkolzin, 2024 1st, 2024 2nd.

With Lindholm in the line up, here is how I would suggest we do our lines.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Mikheyev-Lindholm-Kuzmenko

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Soucy

Cole-Juulsen

Wolanin

Demko

DeSmith

Under this set-up, we’d see the return of the “Lotto” line.  Miller helps with the forecheck, creates space, and helps with face-offs. Most importantly, Pettersson get high quality linemates to get him going again.

Lindholm then takes Petey‘s place on the Russian line which allows for Kuzmenko to still play with an offensively gifted center. Our bottom 6 would speak for itself.  That would likely be the best bottom 6 in the league.

Lindholm would be a rental for us but could also serve as a long term contingency plan if negotiations with Pettersson do not go well.

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

I like the resulting line-up but you can’t  make a decent trade proposal by just adding +????

Let us know who you think would make this deal happen.

But don’t ask me, I’m happy with our line-up/prospects to the point of realizing that we would have to lose too many to achieve this trade.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Captkirk888 said:

I like the resulting line-up but you can’t  make a decent trade proposal by just adding +????

Let us know who you think would make this deal happen.

But don’t ask me, I’m happy with our line-up/prospects to the point of realizing that we would have to lose too many to achieve this trade.

It would cost atleast Lekkerimaki at minimum.  Cap wise, Myers is actually more expensive than Lindholm (6 million vs 4.8) and so Calgary I’m guessing it would cost us Lekkerimaki and Hunter B at minimum.  I really don’t know though.

I'm sure Cowtown is scouting the world juniors and like what they see in Lekker. Willander too but he's in the untouchable category. 

To give him up, Lindholm would have to come with an extension in place. 

If we're going to give up a rising talent like Lekker tho maybe we should be looking at Andersson? 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I'm sure Cowtown is scouting the world juniors and like what they see in Lekker. Willander too but he's in the untouchable category. 

To give him up, Lindholm would have to come with an extension in place. 

If we're going to give up a rising talent like Lekker tho maybe we should be looking at Andersson? 

No chance the Canucks give up Lekkerimaki or Willander. Kuzmenko might not even be back after his current contract, and Brock may not be back either after his current deal expires (depending of course how much they want). We need players on ELC's that can produce, so why would we give up on a possible player that could very well accomplish that? 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

A week or so ago, an Interdivisional blockbuster deal was suggested on here that would see Kuzmenko, Raty, and a 1st go to Calgary for Elias Lindholm.  

I have a different spin however:

To Vancouver:

-Elias Lindholm

To Calgary

-Tyler Myers

-????

Now obviously, the “????” would have to be quite significant but go with me on this.  With Lindholm in the line up, here is how I would suggest we do our lines.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Mikheyev-Lindholm-Kuzmenko

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Soucy

Cole-Juulsen

Wolanin

Demko

DeSmith

Under this set-up, we’d see the return of the “Lotto” line.  Miller helps with the forecheck, creates space, and helps with face-offs. Most importantly, Pettersson get high quality linemates to get him going again.

Lindholm then takes Petey‘s place on the Russian line which allows for Kuzmenko to still play with an offensively gifted center. Our bottom 6 would speak for itself.  That would likely be the best bottom 6 in the league.

Who is the +?

Myers is good, but he's not a long term fit in Calgary - would Lindholm be a long term fit? Who would take Myer's place in defense? 

28 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

No chance the Canucks give up Lekkerimaki or Willander. Kuzmenko might not even be back after his current contract, and Brock may not be back either after his current deal expires (depending of course how much they want). We need players on ELC's that can produce, so why would we give up on a possible player that could very well accomplish that? 

A top 4 RHD like Andersson will be expensive.

19 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

A top 4 RHD like Andersson will be expensive.

I agree he will be expensive, but also he is a top pairing defenceman... and play all situations... likely better or as good as Hronek... Tough Matchups...

22nd in scoring in the past 2.5 seasons... 25th in minutes/GP... 14th in total minutes...15th in PPTOI/GP 62nd SHTOI/GP

and on a stacked Calgary defence being their top D-man means something

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How about we develop our own players instead of trades?

Wouldn't that be a novel twist?

Not really... we've developed Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Demko, Hoglander... not bad considering most of our core was drafted.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

35 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not really... we've developed Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Demko, Hoglander... not bad considering most of our core was drafted.

Yup. Vegas only had one guy on the Cup winner that they drafted. Tampa’s exceptional D, for their two recent Cup wins, only had one guy the drafted. 
We want the best players so we can win the Cup. Doesn’t matter how we get them. (Or where they’re from. Thought I’d add that opinion) 

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Who is the +?

Myers is good, but he's not a long term fit in Calgary - would Lindholm be a long term fit? Who would take Myer's place in defense? 

My guess is that both Lindholm and Myers would rentals in this case. Calgary would only take on Myers’ salary so that we could accommodate Lindholm’s salary (which would then allow the Flames to take some good prospects).  

Lindholm would be a rental but could also serve as a contingency plan just in case negotiations with Pettersson do not go well?

Just now, N4ZZY said:

This would be a huge thing on Allvin's resume. The inability to re-sign his franchise player. I hope it doesn't happen. 

Petey is a coming RFA. He will sign with us. It will be a short term though. 3-4 years. But because it’s a shorter term the cap allocation will be less than a longer term. The empties are seeing 3-4 years x 9.5 per. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Petey is a coming RFA. He will sign with us. It will be a short term though. 3-4 years. But because it’s a shorter term the cap allocation will be less than a longer term. The empties are seeing 3-4 years x 9.5 per. 

Who are the empties? 

i think three years is too short. 4 years isn't that much longer, that's not really a long term deal. Why wouldn't Petey sign a long term deal with the team? 

• Cheers 1

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Who are the empties? 

i think three years is too short. 4 years isn't that much longer, that's not really a long term deal. Why wouldn't Petey sign a long term deal with the team? 

51F736A4-9973-4879-936A-B28B796A0AD5.jpeg.3abc25d903f5e14cb5a1589a012ee456.jpeg

These are the future empties. Alf is always working hard making new ones. It’s a job that needs doing. 

We can afford to ride out this season for 2 reasons:

1/ We own Petey. He's an RFA who's due a big raise, so if he doesn't want to re-sign here (we have the luxury of 2 C1's in Petey and Miller) then the RFA comp would also be pretty sweet (can be used to flip for a younger developing C2 to eventually become a C1 to take over for JT or another top6 sniper).

2/ Myers 6mil disappears in roughly 45 games...no need to add prospects to try and get Lindholm if he (Lindholm) becomes a UFA that we can just sign on JUL 1 anyways.

Honestly, if we wait and get the increased cap space + shedding 6 mil (we do have to re-sign Hronek), we might be better off by signing Lindholm to replace Petey and take the extra compensation picks to land another top 6 forward (a 2 for 1 deal if you will). Don't get me wrong, I LOVE having Pettersson on our team, but not if it hurts us long term. If we cannot improve our team because we have to lay out 11mil for one player, I'd be happier to get the 2 for the price of 1, considering we still have a few up and comers on ELC's...it might lengthen our current window.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Who knows though? They sold low on zad.

With Zad however, his cap hit was perceived to be higher than his actual value around the league (we were able to acquire him for a low price since we were the only team willing to absorb the entire cap).  With Andersson, we won’t have such luck since Rasmus has one of the best contracts (relative to his overall value) in the league.  Andersson will cost a boatload.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

We can afford to ride out this season for 2 reasons:

1/ We own Petey. He's an RFA who's due a big raise, so if he doesn't want to re-sign here (we have the luxury of 2 C1's in Petey and Miller) then the RFA comp would also be pretty sweet (can be used to flip for a younger developing C2 to eventually become a C1 to take over for JT or another top6 sniper).

2/ Myers 6mil disappears in roughly 45 games...no need to add prospects to try and get Lindholm if he (Lindholm) becomes a UFA that we can just sign on JUL 1 anyways.

Honestly, if we wait and get the increased cap space + shedding 6 mil (we do have to re-sign Hronek), we might be better off by signing Lindholm to replace Petey and take the extra compensation picks to land another top 6 forward (a 2 for 1 deal if you will). Don't get me wrong, I LOVE having Pettersson on our team, but not if it hurts us long term. If we cannot improve our team because we have to lay out 11mil for one player, I'd be happier to get the 2 for the price of 1, considering we still have a few up and comers on ELC's...it might lengthen our current window.

Sorry I should have clarified:

My idea behind acquiring Lindholm would for rental purposes only. Both Lindholm and Myers are UFA’s at the end of the season and so I figured a package could be built around these two guys.

I would only attempt to sign Lindholm long term IF negotiations with Pettersson do not go well (which likely won’t happen but you never know). 

Signing both Pettersson and Lindholm long term would be impossible however since we’d be up against the cap (OEL buyout penalty will hit its peak in the coming seasons).  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

This would be a huge thing on Allvin's resume. The inability to re-sign his franchise player. I hope it doesn't happen. 

The pressure will be on Alvin for sure but he has to use good judgment. I agree with @IBatch that Pettersson is probably worth $10.5 million. If he’s asking for more than that however, it starts to become an issue of, “would we be able to surround our top players with the necessary depth to be a long term cup winner?”  If teams like Edmonton and Toronto are of any indication, the answer is “no.”  Look at the cup winners over the past 13 years and you’ll notice that the cup winning teams all had their top players on below market value cap hits.

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Upvote 1