[PROPOSAL] San Jose trade targets for 2nd line centre

San Jose are in full rebuild.  They have 3 centres that are intriguing.  I would say all of them would be a good fit in between the Russians.  

Tomas Hertl.  Stud #1 centre who has a contract similar to Miller.  $8 million might be tight to fit in for the next 6 years, but he would solidify our 2nd line.

Logan Couture.  Stud #2 centre who has been injured all year but will be back next week.  He is also at $8 million, but he only has 3 more years left after this one.  He would be my #1 choice to go after.

Mikael Granlund.  He would be the cheapest option, but also the least desirable.  He has only one more year after this one at $5 million, he is having a good year this year.

I'd go after Logan Couture.  See how he plays the next few weeks.  Our 2024 1st, Hunter B plus another prospect for Logan Couture at 50% retention...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

EDIT:  Not sure how we fit Couture under the cap.  At 50% retention, we still have to move out $4 million this year.  I guess we could trade Myers to San Jose.  But he has a NTC so he probably says no.  So these proposals may not work at all.  

Couture would be a great fit however if he is 100% healthy...

• Cheers 1

no thx hertl can't even be a ppg last season with karlsson over 100 points.. he's already 30+ and will be declining in production.. Miller will probably be an anchor eventually on his current contract we don't need a 2nd. 

couture if san jose retain 50% on it.. sure we can think about it.. but if san jose is retaining 50% and have to take back a cap dump on top lol.. the ask would be massive.. lekkerimaki or willander would have to be the starting point.. easy pass for me.

44 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

EDIT:  Not sure how we fit Couture under the cap.  At 50% retention, we still have to move out $4 million this year.  I guess we could trade Myers to San Jose.  But he has a NTC so he probably says no.  So these proposals may not work at all.  

Couture would be a great fit however if he is 100% healthy...

New day, new proposal, new meme

image.png.0fdf9a4030bde0ef326034818f86a233.png

• Huggy Bear 1

I think Vancouver while they will scour the rental market and look up and down all the lineups I think they will find a way to make a more traditional hockey trade in that they may push to acquire a player that fits in with this core, this age range. Maybe someone like Joel Eriksson-Ek as a top six centre. He can be physical, get under opponents skin, he can score, he is a playmaker. Extremely reliable defensively. His question mark coming out of his draft year was skating but that is a non-issue any longer.

Would Minnesota trade him ? Could take a lot, but he could be a piece that helps this team succeed and go to the next level.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

San Jose are in full rebuild.  They have 3 centres that are intriguing.  I would say all of them would be a good fit in between the Russians.  

Tomas Hertl.  Stud #1 centre who has a contract similar to Miller.  $8 million might be tight to fit in for the next 6 years, but he would solidify our 2nd line.

Logan Couture.  Stud #2 centre who has been injured all year but will be back next week.  He is also at $8 million, but he only has 3 more years left after this one.  He would be my #1 choice to go after.

Mikael Granlund.  He would be the cheapest option, but also the least desirable.  He has only one more year after this one at $5 million, he is having a good year this year.

I'd go after Logan Couture.  See how he plays the next few weeks.  Our 2024 1st, Hunter B plus another prospect for Logan Couture at 50% retention...

I think those are pieces while could help are not the way the team is looking. I just have a feeling they may make a move with more of a longer term approach, bringing in someone more in the 24-27 age range.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I think those are pieces while could help are not the way the team is looking. I just have a feeling they may make a move with more of a longer term approach, bringing in someone more in the 24-27 age range.

Thomas Novak 😉

I'm really warming up to the idea of getting Couture. He's got 3 years left after this year at $8 million a year, so if we could get San Jose to retain 30%-35% I say do it. Keep the lotto line intact and have a legit second line. 

2 hours ago, Pears said:

I'm really warming up to the idea of getting Couture. He's got 3 years left after this year at $8 million a year, so if we could get San Jose to retain 30%-35% I say do it. Keep the lotto line intact and have a legit second line. 

Even at $4M....3 more years is a long time when the player is starting those 3 years at age 35...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Maybe someone like Joel Eriksson-Ek as a top six centre. Would Minnesota trade him ? Could take a lot, but he could be a piece that helps this team succeed and go to the next level.

No they wouldn't trade him imo

22 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To San Jose: 

-Kuzmenko

-Mkheyev

To Vancouver:

-Couture

-Duclair

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Duclair-Couture-Hoglander

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Aman-Suter-Lafferty

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

8 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Even at $4M....3 more years is a long time when the player is starting those 3 years at age 35...

Still, if you have Logan Couture as your 2C you're cup contenders for at least two of those years. 

12 hours ago, Pears said:

Couture is definitely interesting but he's going to be fairly rusty (think - Mats Sundin in Vancouver in 2009).  Unlike Sundin however, Couture is going to be locked in long term which might be quite risky.  

For me, although Couture sounds interesting, Elias Lindholm as a rental would be my #1 choice. First of all, he's Swedish (which in and of itself will give Patrik Alvin a nice 4 inch erection).  More importantly however, Lindholm won't have rust and could help us right from Day 1.  The other thing that I love about Lindholm, is it gives us options at the end of the season.  We can either walk from him, or sign him (likely as a contingency just in the very minor event that our negotiations with Pettersson do not go well and we need to move him).  

I think a deal of Lindholm for Podkolzin, Myers, and a 2024 1st should be fair for both sides.  It would be similar to our Tyler Toffoli deal from a few years back. 

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Lindholm-Kuzmenko

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Soucy

Cole-Juulsen

Friedman

Demko

DeSmith

5 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Couture is definitely interesting but he's going to be fairly rusty (think - Mats Sundin in Vancouver in 2009).  Unlike Sundin however, Couture is going to be locked in long term which might be quite risky.  

For me, although Couture sounds interesting, Elias Lindholm as a rental would be my #1 choice. First of all, he's Swedish (which in and of itself will give Patrik Alvin a nice 4 inch erection).  More importantly however, Lindholm won't have rust and could help us right from Day 1.  The other thing that I love about Lindholm, is it gives us options at the end of the season.  We can either walk from him, or sign him (likely as a contingency just in the very minor event that our negotiations with Pettersson do not go well and we need to move him).  

I think a deal of Lindholm for Podkolzin, Myers, and a 2024 1st should be fair for both sides.  It would be similar to our Tyler Toffoli deal from a few years back. 

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Lindholm-Kuzmenko

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Soucy

Cole-Juulsen

Friedman

Demko

DeSmith

I might be in the minority here, but I'd actually rather keep Myers over Kuzmenko right now.  He gives us the depth we need on the back end for the playoffs, plus he has the size and strength to endure a long playoff run.  I think there's a reason Allvin/JR have gone out and made our back end a group of physical monsters.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

I might be in the minority here, but I'd actually rather keep Myers over Kuzmenko right now.  He gives us the depth we need on the back end for the playoffs, plus he has the size and strength to endure a long playoff run.  I think there's a reason Allvin/JR have gone out and made our back end a group of physical monsters.

You know it's funny.....after I made that initial post and then logged off.  I was walking around and came to the same realization. Defensive depth will be absolutely KEY come playoff time.  I also came to the conclusion that I would not like to see Podkolzin get traded.  The guy seems to be finally "getting it," and he seems like a Tocchet type player.  Another thought that came to mind - as much as Jonathan Lekkerimaki impresses me, will he be a Rick Tocchet kind of player?

So - given the above, I'm now wondering the following:

Kuzmenko, a 2024 1st, and Hunter B gets you...........................?

Kuzmenko, a 2024 1st, and Jonathan Lekkerimaki gets you.....................?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

You know it's funny.....after I made that initial post and then logged off.  I was walking around and came to the same realization. Defensive depth will be absolutely KEY come playoff time.  I also came to the conclusion that I would not like to see Podkolzin get traded.  The guy seems to be finally "getting it," and he seems like a Tocchet type player.  Another thought that came to mind - as much as Jonathan Lekkerimaki impresses me, will he be a Rick Tocchet kind of player?

So - given the above, I'm now wondering the following:

Kuzmenko, a 2024 1st, and Hunter B gets you...........................?

Kuzmenko, a 2024 1st, and Jonathan Lekkerimaki gets you.....................?

Wow, either of those packages would be worth a ton.  Don't even know who we would target with so much value in a single package lol

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Wow, either of those packages would be worth a ton.  Don't even know who we would target with so much value in a single package lol

Tomas Hertl?  Elias Lindholm?

That's what I've been thinking about these past few days and so I've been exploring different scenarios out loud. 

On one hand, we could offer only a 2024 1st...........and where that would take us.

On the other extreme, we could offer Willander, Lekkerimaki, 2024 1st, etc............and see where that would take us (I'm not recommending this by the way, just highlighting the other extreme).  

I guess I'm just trying to find an appropriate package that would give us significant help for the short term while also bearing the future in mind.  

I mention Hunter B because we already have Willander in our system, and we'll also likely be able to re-sign Hronek for the long term.  Lekkerimaki also comes to mind because as talented as he is, I'm not sure if he's going to fit Tocchet's system.  Lekkerimaki is talented as fuck, but he has the upper body strength or Drew Barrymore and may not be willing to "blow other men into the boards" on the forecheck a la "Tocchy hockey."  I love Rick Tocchet and what he's done for this team, but he definitely wants certain types of players on this team.  I'm not sure if JL will fit RT's mold.

7 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

That's what I've been thinking about these past few days and so I've been exploring different scenarios out loud. 

On one hand, we could offer only a 2024 1st...........and where that would take us.

On the other extreme, we could offer Willander, Lekkerimaki, 2024 1st, etc............and see where that would take us (I'm not recommending this by the way, just highlighting the other extreme).  

I guess I'm just trying to find an appropriate package that would give us significant help for the short term while also bearing the future in mind.  

I mention Hunter B because we already have Willander in our system, and we'll also likely be able to re-sign Hronek for the long term.  Lekkerimaki also comes to mind because as talented as he is, I'm not sure if he's going to fit Tocchet's system.  Lekkerimaki is talented as fuck, but he has the upper body strength or Drew Barrymore and may not be willing to "blow other men into the boards" on the forecheck a la "Tocchy hockey."  I love Rick Tocchet and what he's done for this team, but he definitely wants certain types of players on this team.  I'm not sure if JL will fit RT's mold.

Lekkerimaki is for sure a Tocchet type of player. He’s very responsible with and without the puck. He’s smart as heck too, and hyper competitive. Tocchet wants guys to play smart hockey. 

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lekkerimaki is for sure a Tocchet type of player. He’s very responsible with and without the puck. He’s smart as heck too, and hyper competitive. Tocchet wants guys to play smart hockey. 

Thank you for clarifying that.  

Alright, then it's settled.  Kuzmenko, 2024 1st, and Hunter B for some alpha male 2nd line center.  

1 hour ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Kuzmenko, Lekkerimaki, and a 1st is worth a lot more than a Lindholm or Hertl.  My proposal for Lindholm has always been Kuz, Raty, and a 1st.  Gotta remember Lindholm is a pending UFA.  Lowers his value a bit. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Kuzmenko, Lekkerimaki, and a 1st is worth a lot more than a Lindholm or Hertl.  My proposal for Lindholm has always been Kuz, Raty, and a 1st.  Gotta remember Lindholm is a pending UFA.  Lowers his value a bit. 

Who do you have in mind exactly with that type of proposal?  😛   Matty Berniers?

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Who do you have in mind exactly with that type of proposal?  😛   Matty Berniers?

Lol, I don't actually know.  Lemme go dig a bit and see if I can find something that makes sense for both teams...

• ThereItIs 1