Coaching Staff

-AJ-

21 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Ladies and gentlemen, they call him Mr. Accountability. Others call him Mr. Structure. In some circles he's known as Mr. No Passengers. Some even call him Mr. Come to Camp in Shape. 

Please put your hands together and give a warm welcome to your head coach ...

rick-tocchet-rick-tocchet-jets.gif

Based on that dome, I call him Mr. Clean.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

I love this coaching staff. In fact I really love the back office in general.  Say what you want about Aquillini, he's spending A LOT of money on some of the best minds in the business, imo.

Would be great if all he did was spend money on the right people and then just let them do their thing. Maybe that's more the case with Rutherford as a president now.

4 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

I love this coaching staff. In fact I really love the back office in general.  Say what you want about Aquillini, he's spending A LOT of money on some of the best minds in the business, imo.

Tocchet does seem to bring a very specific sense of professionalism that I really like. 
The Jr/PA pairing had so many PR issues last year it is hard to really praise their professionalism but their scouting especially professional is leagues ahead of JB. 
Still pretty questionable cap management. 

31 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

that's more the case with Rutherford

100% believe it is. Jim is too old for BS. He knows what it takes to build a winner and how to do it. He doesn't need the job; He came out of retirement to do it. And if he wasn't able to do his job properly due to Aqua meddling, he'd bail at the drop of a hat. I have no doubt.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Canuckle said:

100% believe it is. Jim is too old for BS. He knows what it takes to build a winner and how to do it. He doesn't need the job; He came out of retirement to do it. And if he wasn't able to do his job properly due to Aqua meddling, he'd bail at the drop of a hat. I have no doubt.

Aquilini has clearly meddled in hockey ops, and tried to bully his GMs since he bought the club. Guys who stood up to him got moved out. Benning got the longest run because he did what told. 
I thought JR would follow like Benning. But it sure appears he is doing what he thinks is best, and Aquilini is paying big bills to support that. Firing BB. Buying out OEL. Got to give JR credit and some credit to Aquilini too for cutting the big cheques. Now how long can our owner keep his snout out of hockey ops? When does he become impatient and try to force his ideas? 

13 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

long list of issues

And I never agreed with those takes either  lol.  Not to say that Jim et al. are infallible humans that can do wrong, but how we even define 'wrong,' or what requires actual attention (to the extent that it's largely given) is what I've always taken issue with --a nothing issue and turning into something more.

With a rabid media, and  rabid fanbase sick of losing, norms of rage/cancel culture, witch hunts... not surprising things turn out a certain way. And people will always find something to be mad about. And there's always the next thing.

Edited by Canuckle
grammar

Just now, Canuckle said:

In the past no doubt about it.  I just don't think that happens under Jim Rutherford. Jim wouldn't tolerate it.

I agree. At first, when JR was hired, I thought it would just be the same. But clearly JR is leading the club’s direction and it’s not the owner anymore. That’s great! Crazy to think how close our owner got to the Cup while meddling back in the Gillis years though. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Canuckle said:

And I never agreed with those takes either  lol.  Not to say that Jim et al. are infallible humans that can do wrong, but how we even define wrong what requires actual attention (to the extent that's its given) is what I've always taken issue with.

Like a nothing issue and turning into something more

With a rabid media, and  rabid fanbase sick of losing, norms of rage/cancel culture, witch hunts... not surprising things turn out a certain way. And people will always find something to be mad about. And there's always the next thing.

Who is mad. I look at this group with a balance of good and bad.
Really like the professionalism of the coaching staff. 

The management group has greatly improved pro scouting. They are making much smarter deals. They look more and more like a professional team than the previous overly lean setup JB preferred. 
We have had some flubs and mistakes that have not reflected well on the team. They still over rely on filling the D and bottom 6 with UFAs because of the constant need to move 2nd and 3rd rounders for cap. 
I don’t need to completely ignore some of the warts, want to see them improved so we can improve. In the balance we have improved significantly in most ways but there are places to keep improving and always will be.
My viewpoints on where we could continue to improve isn’t being mad or cancelling a damn thing. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

My viewpoints on where we could continue to improve isn’t being mad or cancelling a damn thing. 

Oh my statements weren't directed a you. My apologies if you thought they were. Was just kinda highlighting how things tend to pan out in the world of media, social media on most anything people deem morally deplorable in some way, know what I mean?

I actually agree with everything you just wrote there.

Edited by Canuckle
whacky formating